University of the Arts in Philadelphia Closing

Big_O

Oct 12, 2021
The sister of one of my daughter’s best friends went there. She now works in hollywood in the movie industry.

Reactions: bbrown

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
I worked right down the street from Moore.
Always heard good things about it.
My very conservative Christian parents (who were footing the bill) brought me along for a first semester visit a few months in and they didn’t love the freak fest they witnessed (punk kids, piercings, dirty looks) lol circa 1979. I silently thought Philly was pretty cool
DAMN LOOK AT MOORE

2023 – 2024 TUITION & FEES​

Tuition, fees and estimated expenses for a full-time student in residence at Moore are:

NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT: $350
TUITION: $48,256
GENERAL COLLEGE FEES: $1,654
TECHNOLOGY FEE: $236
ORIENTATION FEE: $133
TOTAL INCLUDING FEES: $50,629
ROOM & BOARD: $18,756
TOTAL INCLUDING ROOM & BOARD AND FEES: $69,385
FOUNDATION ART KIT: $450
FY BOOKS AND SUPPLIES (ESTIMATED): $4,500
BFA PER CREDIT: $2,011​

Last edited:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
You drive like an old lady. 2 years ago 2 and I drove from San Antonia to LA 16 hours straight in the TT
I spent the weekend at my moms in western pa. Left this morning around 8:30.
Was told Nashvilles rush hour traffic was really bad. Apparently they’ve never been on 695, 495 or 95 at rush hour.🙄
Also stopped at the Makers Mark distilary👍🏻

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
My very conservative Christian parents (who were footing the bill) brought me along for a first semester visit a few months in and they didn’t love the freak fest they witnessed (punk kids, piercings, dirty looks) lol circa 1979. I silently thought Philly was pretty cool
DAMN LOOK AT MOORE

Tuition, fees and estimated expenses for a full-time student in residence at Moore are:
Pikers. Sticker price at RISD is over $85k, but you get your money's worth:

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
DAMN LOOK AT MOORE

That’s insane.

• Wow
Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion
Nov 3, 2021
DAMN LOOK AT MOORE

Worth every freaking cent. Hope they're keeping their heads down and their noses to the grindstone.

Nov 3, 2021

University of the Arts abruptly cancels info session amid questions over impending closure. Town hall canceled ten minutes before it was scheduled to begin!

This happened yesterday. Kids and parents told there would be updates on a Q&A section of the website 'soon'.

Other entertaining finger pointing is focusing on UArts president Kerry Walk, PhD, who came in August 1st from Marymount Manhattan, which is in the process of being bailed out by Northeastern. From their website https://www.uarts.edu/about/leadership it looks like Dr Walk assembled a vibrant and diverse team of inclusive equiaticians to drive this venerable institution into the ground. Jury is out on whether bonus points are going to be awarded for f&^%ing things up so badly that their accreditation was yanked and then leaving the scene of the crime at a high rate of speed.

Reactions: Tgar

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022

University of the Arts abruptly cancels info session amid questions over impending closure. Town hall canceled ten minutes before it was scheduled to begin!

This happened yesterday. Kids and parents told there would be updates on a Q&A section of the website 'soon'.

Other entertaining finger pointing is focusing on UArts president Kerry Walk, PhD, who came in August 1st from Marymount Manhattan, which is in the process of being bailed out by Northeastern. From their website https://www.uarts.edu/about/leadership it looks like Dr Walk assembled a vibrant and diverse team of inclusive equiaticians to drive this venerable institution into the ground. Jury is out on whether bonus points are going to be awarded for f&^%ing things up so badly that their accreditation was yanked and then leaving the scene of the crime at a high rate of speed.
It's art...
That was Dr. Walk's masterpiece.

Reactions: ValleyForgeLion

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
(Fame!)
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
(High!)
I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
(Fame!)
I'm gonna make it to heaven
Light up the sky like a flame
(Fame!)
I'm gonna live forever
Baby, remember my name

😞

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
Worth every freaking cent. Hope they're keeping their heads down and their noses to the grindstone.
Please explain the MC of A graduate career path salary while saddled with 200k debt, say from 22 to 26 years old.
As a point of reference, son 2 pays 2500/month rent in cc

but honestly even having a parent who has a basement that's liveable is great! Also living in your parents basement and saving money to do more in life later is a luxury that I would've loved lol.

Plus, some basements are actually really nice, basically like a small 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment.

Basement Dwellers: Don't let people shame you about living in a basement.

Basement Bullies: come up with a better insult lol.

Reactions: Bison13

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Her staff doesn't look any different than most other senior administrators anywhere in the country; her senior staff was 8/12 white (half men, half women), 3 people of color (two women), and one man who didn't have a picture. More curious to me is this:

“Significant, unanticipated expenses…came to light very suddenly,” chair Judson Aaron and president Kerry Walk said last Friday, and they “were unable to bridge the necessary gaps.”

Sounds like the accreditation was lost because they failed to give significant notice of their closure (and at that point, what good is it?).

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Her staff doesn't look any different than most other senior administrators anywhere in the country; her senior staff was 8/12 white (half men, half women), 3 people of color (two women), and one man who didn't have a picture. More curious to me is this:

“Significant, unanticipated expenses…came to light very suddenly,” chair Judson Aaron and president Kerry Walk said last Friday, and they “were unable to bridge the necessary gaps.”

Sounds like the accreditation was lost because they failed to give significant notice of their closure (and at that point, what good is it?).

The details behind the closing have been tough to learn, as the trustees and staff have given very few details.

From a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article:

"University of the Arts notified the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, its accrediting agency, on Wednesday [May 29], the first day of its summer term, that it planned to close on June 7. Middle States, in an unusually quick move, then said it would withdraw University of the Arts’ accreditation Saturday because it was out of compliance with all of the organization’s standards."

The Middle States Commission actually publicly announced the withdraw of accreditation on Friday (May 31), which is how the story broke. The University of the Arts leadership has indicated that they should have been the ones to first announce the closing, and they do seem to have some regrets that this wasn't how things played out.

There may be a Middle States Commission standard on closing announcements that U of A was about to violate. However, I think there were likely many other standards that the U of A was out of compliance, and that Middle States, like the U of A students, faculty, and the city, were in the dark about what was taking place at U of A.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
That is sad news. Triangle Tech was well respected and I know a number of their grads who have made a very good living.
Yes. Every school has their share of wonderfully talented graduates. Sad. Hard hard times for many many schools. The impact on the community, wow, crushing. (My wife’s alma mater went under in 2020.)

Reactions: fairgambit

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
looks like they fast track accepting students from University of the Arts....

Only some students.

also…..

Temple & Drexel are trying to accommodate
https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/temple-university-of-the-arts-legacy/

Temple exploring possible merger with UArts
https://temple-news.com/temple-exploring-possible-merger-with-uarts/

When this all shakes out, it will be interesting to see where the proceeds of the sale of the real estate actually ends up.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login