Unpopular Opinion

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’d rather just go back to the M-State logo, with a white M on the maroon helmets. But you’re right. This helmet just isn’t good.

Reactions: Maroon13

bulldognation

Jan 26, 2004
Well now that we know the whole “copyright” on the interlocking MSU logo was a ruse, it’s time to go back to what the people really want.

Reactions: josebrown

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I don't care if it's the greatest logo to ever exist, it needs to go now. It's like when baseball had the Sunday blacks and they started losing with them. The coaches had the balls to put them away and things turned around and a NC.

There needs to be a public bonfire and the burning of the script State helmets.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
M over S. We are so small pick one and stick with it.

Alabama has one. So do many other brands.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
#BringBackTheBanner

hogans heroes hogan GIF

• Angry
Reactions: DangerDawg
Aug 22, 2012
Why we don’t use the M over S just baffles me. It looks tough, classic, and reminds me of a national championship. It looks great. Why we continue to trot out continual generic cheap looking logos and word marks that scream Wal Mart shows the lack of leadership we have inside the athletic department.
My wife, who does some graphic design work, took one look at this and said “is this really y’all’s logo?” The ampersand like S doesn’t match the font of the rest of the word, plus it looks girly”. That coming from a woman.
For the love of God, please go to the MS and scrap everything else

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
M over S. We are so small pick one and stick with it.

Alabama has one. So do many other brands.
I agree with this. Marketing and branding has never been an MSU strength....and it is quite possible it never will be,

Of course, one could argue neither has football.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Greg Byrne and Keenum did a great job creating the brand we have now.

The fund raiser we have in the ADs chair now, thinks it is a good idea to bury what Byrne established to sell a few more polos.

Reactions: patdog

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Script State reflects very, very little creative thought . . . . . .
And what kind of creative thought does bama's numbers on the side? Georgia's G knocked off from the packers? Penn State's NOTHING but a black stripe on a white helmet? They are simple designs and what makes them so good is the teams STUCK WITH THEM. The fact they won a lot with them makes them iconic. We just can't even stick with anything much less win in them.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
The script logo is beyond utter crap. It's as stylistic and ineffective and an overall eyesore as much as Arnett's coaching.

Even the dead injuns have weighed in:

Reactions: knock him out john

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agreed, I thought the script State looked bad since the first game. Get rid of it.

MState banner needs to be on the 50 yard line (and mid-court), no questions asked. It's the official emblem of the school.

We can put whatever we want on the helmets, similar to the baseball hats.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Greg Byrne and Keenum did a great job creating the brand we have now.

The fund raiser we have in the ADs chair now, thinks it is a good idea to bury what Byrne established to sell a few more polos.
Agreed. I'm really growing tired of MSU doing bullshlt like this every time we make any progress.

I'll always be a fan, but sometimes I question the investment over a school that just continuously shoots itself in both feet, for no reason. The 2010s were wildly successful.....why are we changing?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The &tate script looks like crap midfield and on the helmets. I like the logo, it just is not "powerful" and does not look like a football logo.

The interlocking MSU is disappointing and dated on apparel. I think it will look great on uniforms.
The script is okay. It's better than the banner. But that's a low bar.

We need to go with the interlocking logo permanently, and burn all white helmets. That would be a start.

Of course it doesn't matter what we wear the way we're playing right now.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And what kind of creative thought does bama's numbers on the side? Georgia's G knocked off from the packers? Penn State's NOTHING but a black stripe on a white helmet? They are simple designs and what makes them so good is the teams STUCK WITH THEM. The fact they won a lot with them makes them iconic. We just can't even stick with anything much less win in them.
Tradition >>>> Creativity every time

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Tradition >>>> Creativity every time
Does everyone know the script State is from the 60s and 70s baseball team? It wasn’t just created out of thin air.
I really can’t believe anyone would want the banner M. It belongs on stationary and that’s it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Does everyone know the script State is from the 60s and 70s baseball team? It wasn’t just created out of thin air.
I really can’t believe anyone would want the banner M. It belongs on stationary and that’s it.
Yep.

And I know a lot of folks hate the white helmets but that’s what players wore — like us in 1949–

IMG_6983.jpeg

Reactions: knock him out john

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The script is okay. It's better than the banner. But that's a low bar.

We need to go with the interlocking logo permanently, and burn all white helmets. That would be a start.

Of course it doesn't matter what we wear the way we're playing right now.
Only problem I have with the interlocking is that it takes away from the 'State' branding. But, I suppose it's fine for helmets, just as M over S is fine for baseball hats.

Script State should just go on baseball jerseys. I really don't see a good use for it in football or basketball.

I do think the solid block banner M-State should be the staple for the fields and court, though. The one here: https://www.brand.msstate.edu/identity/index.php, not that wavy shlt we had during Croom. It emphasizes 'State', which is good, and it doesn't look that bad to me. Too much effort has went into promoting it, too.

Nov 25, 2019
the basketball team wore a great script State under Kermit Davis sr. I like it, but not at midfield or on the headgear.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
The &tate script looks like crap midfield and on the helmets. I like the logo, it just is not "powerful" and does not look like a football logo.

The interlocking MSU is disappointing and dated on apparel. I think it will look great on uniforms.
If we had a decent team, I wouldn't give a rat's a$$ what the uniforms look like. Don't give much of one now.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
To me ANYTHING looks better than "MState" or "Hail State" . Not really fond of the interlocking either, its just old.......

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
To me ANYTHING looks better than "MState" or "Hail State" . Not really fond of the interlocking either, its just old.......
That was my take on the interlocking. I LOVE the interlocking - but was it the teams that wore it that I loved? I was so excited to get to Starkville opening weekend to buy a bunch of new gear and it all looks old and dated.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login