Urban gone

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Worst NFL coach ever? Lasted 13 games, 2-11 record, belittled staff, shouting matches with players, kicked the kicker in the leg and the “visit with his grandchildren” aka grinding on some girl in a bar after not flying back to Jacksonville with the team. Complete shitshow.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Considering how successful he's been in every head coaching job he's had - it's definitely one of the most surprising NFL coaching failures I can remember.

This whole time it's seemed like he was just after a big check to cushion his retirement.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Considering how successful he's been in every head coaching job he's had - it's definitely one of the most surprising NFL coaching failures I can remember.

This whole time it's seemed like he was just after a big check to cushion his retirement.

The lack of due diligence by the Jags is incredible. I can understand hiring Urban. Didn't seem like a fit for the NFL, but I can understand thinking he could figure it out. But I can't understand making that kind of investment and then pulling the plug in under a season.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mullens to Jags

I think this very likely killed any chance Mullen had to go to a head coaching job in the NFL. Not sure he had a chance anyway, but I think his coaching style, both x's and o's and personnel management are going to be too closely tied to Urban in people's heads.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Urban probably is telling people he was let go due to "health reasons".

Don't let truth get in the way of an "Urban Legend".

Last edited:

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
His biggest sin was that he became an embarrassment. All of his antics and transgressions embarrassed not only Jacksonville, but the league. The trend of elite college coaches not working out in the NFL continues. Saban sucked. Spurrier sucked. Urban sucked even worse and made a spectacle of himself.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
His biggest sin was that he became an embarrassment. All of his antics and transgressions embarrassed not only Jacksonville, but the league. The trend of elite college coaches not working out in the NFL continues. Saban sucked. Spurrier sucked. Urban sucked even worse and made a spectacle of himself.
Notice anything similar about those guys? Then remember that Pete Carroll DID make it.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I’ll bite. What’s the similarity? And Pete was always more of an NFL guy. He went to USC for a quick rehab job and then went back to the NFL as soon as he could.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I’ll bite. What’s the similarity? And Pete was always more of an NFL guy. He went to USC for a quick rehab job and then went back to the NFL as soon as he could.
They all are 'rule with an iron fist' types, which plays better in college. I've seen CookieMonster allude to this here before, that if you can't be successful on every level, it's hard to call you one of the best coaches ever. But a few have done both.

I think those types will still flourish in college, even with NIL and the portal. I mean that's why they get the big money right?

This is also why I don't think Mullen will do well in the NFL, unless he significantly changes his approach.

Ole motorcycle pimp Bobby L. Petrino was also cut from this cloth.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I don't think Saban was as bad as we remember. He inherited a 4 win team and won 9 the next year with 17ing Gus Frerotte. His second year they regressed back to six wins with Joey Harrington. But that was also the year they could have gotten Brees, but the medical staff said no and they went with Culpepper.

I want to find that doctor and kick him in the nuts. Brees and Saban may have rivaled Brady and Belichick in the AFC east for a decade. Saban never goes to Alabama. And State fills the void in the West and wins 5-6 national titles...

Maybe not quite that far, but Brees keeps Saban in the NFL no doubt. Saban was not what he is in college by any means, but the NFL is all about having a QB. And man he had absolute garbage. I always wondered if Brees would have been a game changer for Saban and the Dolphins.

I would not put Saban anywhere near the failure Urban just experienced.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Urban's issue is that he lost the benefit of the doubt with the press and folks around him. His antics aren't hugely different from a lot of other coaches. He just pissed off the wrong person somewhere. Once people start leaking things to the press and there's a new story about you every day, it's over.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think this very likely killed any chance Mullen had to go to a head coaching job in the NFL. Not sure he had a chance anyway, but I think his coaching style, both x's and o's and personnel management are going to be too closely tied to Urban in people's heads.
It should be a great indicator. Mullen is not a great play-caller. He's a great organizer and planner, and decent at play-calling. He's also a micromanaging dictator without people skills. It didn't even work at a blue blood college program, how could it work in the NFL?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't think Saban was as bad as we remember. He inherited a 4 win team and won 9 the next year with 17ing Gus Frerotte. His second year they regressed back to six wins with Joey Harrington. But that was also the year they could have gotten Brees, but the medical staff said no and they went with Culpepper.

I want to find that doctor and kick him in the nuts. Brees and Saban may have rivaled Brady and Belichick in the AFC east for a decade. Saban never goes to Alabama. And State fills the void in the West and wins 5-6 national titles...

Maybe not quite that far, but Brees keeps Saban in the NFL no doubt. Saban was not what he is in college by any means, but the NFL is all about having a QB. And man he had absolute garbage. I always wondered if Brees would have been a game changer for Saban and the Dolphins.

Saban was garbage in the NFL. Couldn't even throw a proper challenge flag.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I don’t see how its surprising at all. The list of successful college coaches who have flamed out in spectacular fashion in the NFL (and vice versa) is a mile long. And Meyer had quite a few question marks and very public character flaws in his background before he ever took the Jags job. Its like everyone who thought it was some great hire completely forgot about Zach Snith-gate and “the migraines”. Dude has been a liar and a shitbag for over a decade.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

He also cheated his *** off at USC and got their program nuked, so in a sense he never really proved himself as some elite college coach.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I don’t see how its surprising at all. The list of successful college coaches who have flamed out in spectacular fashion in the NFL (and vice versa) is a mile long. And Meyer had quite a few question marks and very public character flaws in his background before he ever took the Jags job. Its like everyone who thought it was some great hire completely forgot about Zach Snith-gate and “the migraines”. Dude has been a liar and a shitbag for over a decade.

I probably stated that wrong. I'm not surprised he failed in the NFL - but it's been obvious all year that this wasn't going to work out. They could have fired him 2 months ago and everyone would have agreed it was the right thing to do. It's been just a complete & utter disaster from day 1... that's the part that surprised me.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Urban's issue is that he lost the benefit of the doubt with the press and folks around him. His antics aren't hugely different from a lot of other coaches. He just pissed off the wrong person somewhere. Once people start leaking things to the press and there's a new story about you every day, it's over.

Antics weren’t hugely different? Other coaches just run up and kick players while they are warming up? I doubt that.

Meyer’s actual issues are that he was both a complete ******* AND a moron at an almost incomprehensible level when it it comes to running an NFL team. You can easily be just one of those things, and still coach in the NFL for at least 2 years or even longer in some cases. But you can’t ever be both and not get fired immediately.

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Don will not be given even a cursory glance for an NFL head coaching job with the stink of that flarda meltdown on him. He would either have to succeed at another college gig or some sustained success as an assistant coach in the league.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Agreed. People somehow act like Saban got fired, too. He left on his own accord because he recognized that he wasn’t really a personality fit for what the NFL wanted him to be. Not having full autonomy over personnel decisions and other things of that nature chased him back to college. There’s been plenty of coaches that fared way worse than him.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Antics weren’t hugely different? Other coaches just run up and kick players while they are warming up? I doubt that.

Yeah, coaches do stuff like that all the time. It wasn't intent to harm, it was a playful thing and Lambo got his nose out of joint over it. They did an internal investigation over it and nothing came of it. But now that Lambo and his agent leaked it to the press on top of the other embarrassing stuff that's come out, he's being litigated for it aGAIN, and it was probably the final straw because it's embarrassing for the media to be running a new Urban Meyer (sp) story every day.

My point is once the hay is out of the barn and the media starts digging relentlessly, it's over. That's what happened here. And I'm not excusing Meyer. He's a dumbass. But this is a story that got out of hand in the media and forced action from Jacksonville, kinda like the Gruden thing with Vegas.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, coaches do stuff like that all the time. It wasn't intent to harm, it was a playful thing and Lambo got his nose out of joint over it. They did an internal investigation over it and nothing came of it. But now that Lambo and his agent leaked it to the press on top of the other embarrassing stuff that's come out, he's being litigated for it aGAIN, and it was probably the final straw because it's embarrassing for the media to be running a new Urban Meyer (sp) story every day.

My point is once the hay is out of the barn and the media starts digging relentlessly, it's over. That's what happened here. And I'm not excusing Meyer. He's a dumbass. But this is a story that got out of hand in the media and forced action from Jacksonville, kinda like the Gruden thing with Vegas.

Uh yeah, sounded super playful….so much so that Lambo reached out to the team’s legal counsel and considered suing him. And when Lambo told him not to kick him, he said “I’m the head ball coach, I’ll kick you whenever the 17 I want”.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-jags-kicker-josh-lambo-200318863.html

And, playful or not, Meyer is aGAIN a complete idiot. You don’t put your hands, feet, whatever on players. Period. Especially paid professionals and especially in today’s day and age. You don’t do it. Just like Gruden before him, who was also a brazen ******* (which would have been fine for him, if it stayed behind closed doors) AND a complete 17ing idiot for the emails. You can’t be an ******* and an idiot at the same time….there’s very little tolerance for those folks in any walk of life.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Worst NFL coach ever? Lasted 13 games, 2-11 record, belittled staff, shouting matches with players, kicked the kicker in the leg and the “visit with his grandchildren” aka grinding on some girl in a bar after not flying back to Jacksonville with the team. Complete shitshow.

It's no wonder that he has heart trouble. Pretty stressful lifestyle.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
I just read that he left the building last night before meetings and never returned. Apparently the assistant coaches didn’t think anything of it because he regularly left the building early while the other coaches were expected to be working. It’s like I said the other day, total clown show.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
The reason that these college coaches are successful in college and not the NFL is because they are sub par teachers, but high level recruiters. They put together staffs that focus mainly on getting the more talent on their roster than the teams they are playing. They create networks that pull in booster money discreetly to "influence" a HS player to choose them over someone else. They pay people in the NCAA to "turn their heads" while they do it and to lay the hammer down on rival programs to keep them from doing the same.

These aren't mastermind coaches. Not even close. NFL coaches are high level teachers and game planners because they have to be due to the parity in the league. Nick Saban didn't succeed at Miami because he was not allowed to pick the top 7 rated players year after year like he is able to do at Bama. He even told his AD at Bama before he was hired that he was not a great coach, but a great recruiter.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
https://t.co/lfNhcWrhFp pic.twitter.com/aTpDGvmYje— Mike Golic Jr (@mikegolicjr) December 16, 2021

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login