97. Auburn

Tier 2
115. Tennessee, South Carolina (tie)
121. Missouri
137. Alabama, Kentucky (tie)
151. Ole Miss
176. LSU, Arkansas (tie)
194. Mississippi State

We moved up a little. We have tightened the gap with LSU and Arkansas. We scored a 51. LSU and Arkansas are at 53. Ole Miss is at 55. Need to improve graduation rate. We are at 61%, Ole Miss is at 66%. That's the difference, as graduation rate is 22.5% of the score. Auburn is at 79% FYI.

Last year, we were the third worst Power 5 school (West Virginia, Texas Tech). This year, we passed Washington State as well. Same progress for two more years and we can catch LSU and Arkansas.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We should just lie like Columbia did.

Last edited by a moderator:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’ve had some thoughts about this recently…

1. Princeton
2. MIT
3. Harvard, Stanford, Yale (tie)

SEC

Top 100
13. Vanderbilt
29. Florida
49. Georgia
67. Texas A&M
97. Auburn

Tier 2
121. Missouri
151. Ole Miss
176. LSU, Arkansas (tie)
194. Mississippi State

We moved up a little. We have tightened the gap with LSU and Arkansas. We scored a 51. LSU and Arkansas are at 53. Ole Miss is at 55. Need to improve graduation rate. We are at 61%, Ole Miss is at 66%. That's the difference, as graduation rate is 22.5% of the score. Auburn is at 79% FYI.

Last year, we were the third worst Power 5 school (West Virginia, Texas Tech). This year, we passed Washington State as well. Same progress for two more years and we can catch LSU and Arkansas.

I live in DFW, and it’s comical how many local students go to pigville or muh square because both schools throw the kitchen sink at them financially. I know an Indian family whose first born went to muh square and the other just left for pigville because they have the stance that undergraduate degrees don’t mean anything compared to graduate degrees, if that’s the path you intend on taking (they do). Both got full rides. And neither will probably ever set foot on their respective campuses again post graduation.

State has taken the stance of being the People’s University of MS. You grow up in MS and want an education, you’ll have a good shot at getting in and if you’ve done well in your studies you’ll have some decent financial rewards. State doesn’t sell out to other states to boost enrollment.

Admittedly, it’s taken some time for me to adjust to that way of thinking…. The pigs and Rebs can’t fulfill their enrollments by focusing in state. It’s actually pretty amazing to me that being in a state that allocates virtually nothing towards education, we are hanging in there with our strategy.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
1. Princeton
2. MIT

SEC

Top 100
13. Vanderbilt
29. Florida
49. Georgia
67. Texas A&M
97. Auburn

Tier 2
121. Missouri
151. Ole Miss
176. LSU, Arkansas (tie)
194. Mississippi State

Due in large part, I think, to the judge (can't remember his name or the ruling) that essentially says that state schools in Mississippi had to accept and enroll just about anybody. Thankfully they don't have to let them graduate, however.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I live in DFW, and it’s comical how many local students go to pigville or muh square because both schools throw the kitchen sink at them financially. I know an Indian family whose first born went to muh square and the other just left for pigville because they have the stance that undergraduate degrees don’t mean anything compared to graduate degrees, if that’s the path you intend on taking (they do). Both got full rides. And neither will probably ever set foot on their respective campuses again post graduation.

State has taken the stance of being the People’s University of MS. You grow up in MS and want an education, you’ll have a good shot at getting in and if you’ve done well in your studies you’ll have some decent financial rewards. State doesn’t sell out to other states to boost enrollment.

Admittedly, it’s taken some time for me to adjust to that way of thinking…. The pigs and Rebs can’t fulfill their enrollments by focusing in state. It’s actually pretty amazing to me that being in a state that allocates virtually nothing towards education, we are hanging in there with our strategy.

They're probably right to an extent, but being accepted by a prestigious graduate school is highly relative to where you get your undergraduate degree. Duke and Vandy folks can go to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford but it's not as easy for an Ole Miss grad, even if their grades are top notch.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

I would like to see us maybe pick a few areas and focus on those, as far as out-of-state recruiting. And not just talking about Memphis, Huntsville and Birmingham - those are obvious based on proximity. We have to decide what we want in Mississippi, what type of thinking. I know Clemson made a significant investment in recruiting NJ and NY, and now, tons of people are moving into Greenville and Charleston as well. I'm not sure what it is we need in the Sip. And if someone is going to do it, it's going to be us, like Clemson. People at Ole Miss (and South Carolina, using the SC example) just do not think this way, so they generally do not care.

What type of industry do we want to attract? Where are they doing it? Recruit those people. I would pick aerospace and the associated technology. Maybe Houston Metro could be the target, in addition to Huntsville? Seems doable, and not inconceivable that we could one day have a non-stop flight from GTR to that area.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They're probably right to an extent, but being accepted by a prestigious graduate school is highly relative to where you get your undergraduate degree. Duke and Vandy folks can go to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford but it's not as easy for an Ole Miss grad, even if their grades are top notch.

It's doable. I'm the brother of a MSU alum (BS) who earned an MD from UMC and went on to Duke & then Stanford for medical training.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
You can go anywhere you want to from MSU IF you apply yourself while you are there. I've seen it happen.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

MSU is doing pretty well at what it has always seen as it's primary mission, providing an opportunity for higher education to the residents of the State of Mississippi. I for one do not want to see that change.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
NO!...you....didn't....just....post....that....video....

(Isn't that the opening theme from an 80's television evangelist show?)

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
From the MSU website:

"[FONT=&quot]Mississippi State University is a public research, land-grant university with a mission to provide access and opportunity to all sectors of Mississippi’s diverse population, as well as other states and countries, and to offer excellent programs of teaching, research, and service.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mississippi State University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs across many disciplines.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The university embraces its role as a major contributor to the economic development of the state and beyond through targeted research and the transfer of ideas and technology to the public, supported by faculty, staff, student, and alumni relationships with industry, community organizations, and government entities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mississippi State University is committed to its tradition of instilling among its community ideals of diversity, citizenship, leadership, and service.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Building on its land-grant tradition, Mississippi State University strategically extends its resources and expertise for the benefit of Mississippi's citizens, the nation, and the world by offering access for working and place-bound learners through its on- and off-campus education and research sites, Extension, and distance education programs.[/FONT]

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
From the MSU website:

"Mississippi State University is a public research, land-grant university with a mission to provide access and opportunity to all sectors of Mississippi’s diverse population, as well as other states and countries, and to offer excellent programs of teaching, research, and service.Mississippi State University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs across many disciplines.
The university embraces its role as a major contributor to the economic development of the state and beyond through targeted research and the transfer of ideas and technology to the public, supported by faculty, staff, student, and alumni relationships with industry, community organizations, and government entities.
Mississippi State University is committed to its tradition of instilling among its community ideals of diversity, citizenship, leadership, and service.
Building on its land-grant tradition, Mississippi State University strategically extends its resources and expertise for the benefit of Mississippi's citizens, the nation, and the world by offering access for working and place-bound learners through its on- and off-campus education and research sites, Extension, and distance education programs.
Yes, but notice what comes first in every instance.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
No shock since it is the state's public land-grant. What is it doing beyond its borders?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Well, yeah. It’s a Mission Statement.

Overly wordy too to the point of pretentiousness.

MSU needs to rework it soon.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Mission statements are SUPPOSED to be simple -- not resemble a George Will column.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'm not sure if this has made it to the board, but:

[FONT=&]
[/FONT]

1. Princeton
2. MIT

SEC

Top 100
13. Vanderbilt
29. Florida
49. Georgia
67. Texas A&M
97. Auburn

Tier 2
121. Missouri
151. Ole Miss
176. LSU, Arkansas (tie)
194. Mississippi State

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I am shocked that State has 55 percent of academic research output in Mississippi considering that Ole Miss has a freaking med school.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
UAB is at 27– higher than I thought.

And MD Anderson didn’t make the Top 50 either? Whoa.

That surprises me a little. (Anderson is 52nd by the way)

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
It's doable. I'm the brother of a MSU alum (BS) who earned an MD from UMC and went on to Duke & then Stanford for medical training.

One of my best friends got his undergrad degree in Chem. E. from Alabama. I asked him how he got in when they could get someone from Yale, Princeton, etc. and he told me it's a common misconception that you can't get in unless you went to an Ivy league school. He said he got up there and realized a business major from Yale was a dime a dozen, but since he went to a public school and had a degree in engineering and made diapers for a living, he was kind of unique. And they want diversity up there. And to answer any question you may have about diversity, he is a white male.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
One of my best friends got his undergrad degree in Chem. E. from Alabama. I asked him how he got in when they could get someone from Yale, Princeton, etc. and he told me it's a common misconception that you can't get in unless you went to an Ivy league school. He said he got up there and realized a business major from Yale was a dime a dozen, but since he went to a public school and had a degree in engineering and made diapers for a living, he was kind of unique. And they want diversity up there. And to answer any question you may have about diversity, he is a white male.

I don’t get this.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
UAB doesn't surprise me. Their medical school is booming. My wife has an eye disease and her doctor there is only one of two in the country that treats what she has. I've gone there for surgery and was really impressed.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, I know UAB is good. I just expected it to be in the 40s and not comfortably in the 20s.

MD Anderson has name recognition but when it's one of 14 med schools in Texas, that's a lot of slices of pie.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I bet he was active in student organizations too-- that's always good.

Two of the SA Presidents from when I was an undergrad at MSU got degrees in engineering and went on to med school at Johns Hopkins.

And Ivies love to have their alumni involved in recruiting. One of my profs at Southern Miss interviewed Mississippi students who applied to attend the Ivy school where he earned his undergrad.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
While NSF 100 definitely has marquee valyoo, NIH funding also plays a big role too.

Mr. Cook was replying to my specific mention of Ole Miss's med school and he specifically went into med school NIH grants.

And UMC could do a lot better there.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Well I will say state has failed some in giving scholarships for engineering. I know a few families that sent kids to ole miss because they got more scholarship money.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah it's doable. I got in to USC which is not easy unless you have movie stars for parents apparently. Stanford and UC Berkeley are even harder.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Does the rating include med school? At one time, UAB wasn't rated all that high as an undergrad school and the med school has always been great.

Bullycon

Sep 1, 2012
Well I will say state has failed some in giving scholarships for engineering. I know a few families that sent kids to ole miss because they got more scholarship money.

What has happened in the last 20 years? Ole Miss's freshman scholarships are so far ahead of State's. In 2000, I got more money from State than Ole Miss. If I was a freshman this year, Ole Miss would offer $26,000 per year to State's $18,000. And that's before college of engineering scholarships.

Are we alumni not giving enough? Is that the problem? I don't know where the money for the guaranteed scholarships comes from, but we are lagging.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login