US Open - Peacock

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
NBC is already trying to force us to pay for Peacock to watch the streaming of the U.S. Open... Sometimes, it's the only way you can watch it. How much of the Olympics are they going to put on streaming only? Do you approve of NBC making people pay for U.S. Open or Olympic coverage?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago- how was Thursday and Friday morning coverage of the US Open handled? Hell, expand that out to any of the majors.

For a couple decades, NBC had rights to the US Open, but ESPN had a limited amount of the weekday coverage, which was super confusing and put coverage behind a paywall(cable).
For a handful of years in the 2010s, Fox covered the US Open in terrible fashion and morning weekday coverage was on...FS1 which is a cable paywall.

Ill just fill you in on the others-
- The Masters didnt have coverage early morning early round coverage for a long time. For decades only 4 holes were even televised at all. The full 18 holes of the final round wasnt even allowed to be televised until 2002. The limited early tournament coverage that was allowed for a couple decades was on USA Network(gotta pay) and limited to like 2 hours a day.
- The British Open early coverage(overnight coverage) was on ESPN with a grainy and blurry feed.
- I dont know about the PGA Championship because nobody gives a damn about watching early weekday coverage of that thing.

Point is- wait until 12noon and you will have 6 hours of free US Open coverage on NBC. Complaining that there is now more coverage than before, and that added coverage isnt free, is pretty weak.
I am convinced most people who complain about paying for streaming coverage just dont remember how sports programming has been for decades, so they complain, as if restricted coverage is new.

Ill give you an early heads up- you wont like how the British Open will be covered next month.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
30 years ago, 20 years ago, 10 years ago- how was Thursday and Friday morning coverage of the US Open handled? Hell, expand that out to any of the majors.

Ill just fill you in-
- The Masters didnt have coverage. The full 18 holes of the final round wasnt even allowed to be televised until 2002. The limited early tournament coverage that was allowed for a couple decades was on USA Network(gotta pay) and limited to like 2 hours a day.
- The British Open early coverage(overnight coverage) was on ESPN with a grainy and blurry feed.
- I dont know about the PGA Championship because nobody gives a damn about watching early weekday coverage of that thing.

Point is- wait until 12noon and you will have 6 hours of free US Open coverage on NBC. Complaining that there is now more coverage than before, and that added coverage isnt free, is pretty weak.
I am convinced most people who complain about paying for streaming coverage just dont remember how sports programming has been for decades, so they complain, as if restricted coverage is new.
That is true, but it's also true that they were broadcasting all of the tournament on some form of broadcast media. Now, they're making us pay for a streaming service. I think people will say, I'm just not going to watch what is not on broadcast television.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
It's ridiculous. I am reduced to finding US Open highlights on Twitter.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
That is true, but it's also true that they were broadcasting all of the tournament on some form of broadcast media. Now, they're making us pay for a streaming service. I think people will say, I'm just not going to watch what is not on broadcast television.
These used to be on cable. I had to pay for cable to watch the early rounds.
I dont have cable now. So now instead of paying for cable and watching them, I pay for Peacock and watch them.

I didnt have to pay money to watch the afternoon weekday broadcast. I still dont have to pay money to watch the afternoon weekday broadcast.

If people dont want to pay for Peacock, then cool. A bunch of people dont have cable/sat anymore though, and if it were televised on USA Network, they wouldnt be able to watch it there.
They are adjusting where to host their content, and viewers have adjusted where they want to view content.

ETA- if I didnt have Peacock and it was the only place to watch all of the tournament, I would be annoyed. That would be pretty terrible.

Last edited:

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
NBC is already trying to force us to pay for Peacock to watch the streaming of the U.S. Open... Sometimes, it's the only way you can watch it. How much of the Olympics are they going to put on streaming only? Do you approve of NBC making people pay for U.S. Open or Olympic coverage?
Peacock is a steal anyway. Best streaming app out there. But I don’t know why this surprises or upsets people.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm tired of another broadcast company trying to make money off their streaming channel option while they own about 10 they could broadcast the program on. I know it's cable and not broadcast television, but we don't watch for channels on antennas anymore either and have not for a long time. I already have too many apps to stream from.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm tired of another broadcast company trying to make money off their streaming channel option while they own about 10 they could broadcast the program on. I know it's cable and not broadcast television, but we don't watch for channels on antennas anymore either and have not for a long time. I already have too many apps to stream from.
Gotcha. So you want NBC to put morning weekday coverage on a cable channel they own, like USA Network, so those with cable can watch morning coverage while those without cable, wont be able to watch morning coverage...since its on a cable channel.

Where/how it is shown isnt a fundamental issue to you, its an specific issue because you as an individual feel negatively impacted. If it were on USA Network to begin with, you wouldnt have complained about how it is being shown, even though all those who dont have USA Network and do have Peacock, wouldnt be able to watch.

Good stuff right there.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Gotcha. So you want NBC to put morning weekday coverage on a cable channel they own, like USA Network, so those with cable can watch morning coverage while those without cable, wont be able to watch morning coverage...since its on a cable channel.

Where/how it is shown isnt a fundamental issue to you, its an specific issue because you as an individual feel negatively impacted. If it were on USA Network to begin with, you wouldnt have complained about how it is being shown, even though all those who dont have USA Network and do have Peacock, wouldnt be able to watch.

Good stuff right there.
If I may, I think what he's saying is it's another thing you have to pay for, assuming he already has cable or Youtubetv or whatever. Plus the hassle: what damn streamer is it on? I haven't logged in for forever, what's the 17ing password? Wanna Watch CWS for a minute, gotta swap apps. It's annoying af.

Late-stage capitalism really has something for everybody to hate...

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Good stuff right there.
You're earning your rep on this one glfr. A random complaint about watching mid-week, mid-day golf receives a lengthy "perspective" followed by somewhat lengthy and lecturing point by point rebuttals.

Actually agree with your "perspective" but might have simply said there is more golf coverage than we've ever had but you're going to have to pay for the extra stuff if you want to watch and left it at that. Understand that isn't your style and why we love having you around. Just surprised this seemingly innocuous topic lit your fuse enough for the full glfr experience.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Good stuff right there.
Why am I not surprised that you favor entirely supporting the big media conglomerate?

ETA- I forgot it's Friday and you haven't anything to argue (not fight} about yet. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The TV industry is the greediest I have personally ever seen. If you have TV today, you are paying for local TV channels you could get over the air for free with an HD antenna. So they are double dipping for most people.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why am I not surprised that you favor entirely supporting the big media conglomerate?

ETA- I forgot it's Friday and you haven't anything to argue (not fight} about yet. Have a good weekend.
Why am I not surprised that you dont understand what I have posted and you have concluded I support a big media conglomerate's decision?

I dont support their decision or condemn their decision- I pointed out that what you are complaining about not being able to watch because it has to be paid for, has always been behind some sort of paywall. Its just a different paywall than what you are used to and since you dont have access, you dislike it.
Meanwhile, a bunch of people dont have cable but do have Peacock, so they do have access when they otherwise wouldnt.

Its a transfer of access. One group was being 'screwed' before and and another group is 'screwed' now. A group was always getting 'screwed' either way.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I suspect that what we are seeing is a negative consequence of getting what we think we wanted. Back when we all had cable, the cable company could affordably bundle a lot of channels to mostly meet what people wanted, albeit with everyone always having some significant number of those channels that they never watched.

We clamored for more choices, and autonomy to pick and choose what channels we had and largely got that, but it costs money to produce and distribute content, no matter the medium, so we have to pay for what we want and sometimes that is more than we'd like. Effectively we have a much more distributed model for obtaining content and the pricing indicates that channels aren't being priced in bulk to the cable company.

I suspect with the amount of marketing data available now and going forward, we will see advertisers becoming even more selective about where they spend their advertising dollars to only pay for spots in places where they know they will get a return. If you just happen to like watching the world championship of underwater BB stacking, and nobody else does, you will have to pay a premium to get access to that content.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Only the market can answer that question, but given that it 2024, I don’t think anyone should be surprised.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Olympics-
- NBC will still air like 9 or 10 hours of coverage each day.
- peacock will have coverage of all events and allow you to replay events.

I question how anyone could complain about this. It's more coverage overall and no less free coverage.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Animated GIF

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Olympics-
- NBC will still air like 9 or 10 hours of coverage each day.
- peacock will have coverage of all events and allow you to replay events.

I question how anyone could complain about this. It's more coverage overall and no less free coverage.
Season 6 Nbc GIF by The Office

Sorry NBC. It is just $6 more than we budgeted. I'll see the highlights.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login