USC one of most improved OL in 2024

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Per a 247 analyst. Not sure how you make this determination before a you've played a down of football. Guess it's just based on new personnel.

It better be VASTLY improved. If the OL is not at least mediocre this season, that's fireable IMO.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Nothing much to this report. They simply took the teams ranked low at O line last year and said they will be better.
That is what looked like to me. When you're one of the worst in all of football, there's plenty of room to improve.

UGA and Bama will never make the "most improved" list for anything.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
How can this be postulated with any degree of certainty at this time? I hope it pans out, but it's really only another example of the speculative clickbait that keeps the internet sports "sages" in jobs. No employed people anywhere are more useless or less productive.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
How can this be postulated with any degree of certainty at this time? I hope it pans out, but it's really only another example of the speculative clickbait that keeps the internet sports "sages" in jobs. No employed people anywhere are more useless or less productive.
The U.S. Government has many and the Secret Service has one.
Correction, HAD one. She's gone.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Totally agree. Some feel (hope) that the addition of Elliott will help. But I don't recall our OL under Elliott being anything special. Do you?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Totally agree. Some feel (hope) that the addition of Elliott will help. But I don't recall our OL under Elliott being anything special. Do you?

This has been my take. I've refrained from saying much b/c the hire of Elliott has been hailed as a major hire for Beamer, but, like you, I don't recall our OL being notably superb under him. I don't recall them being much of a liability, but I don't know if Elliott is necessarily a cure-all for our OL. Most of what's said about him is the energy that he brings, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to coaching.

Reactions: gamecock stock

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Nothing much to this report. They simply took the teams ranked low at O line last year and said they will be better.
No, ask of those are loaded with returning starters. You can usually predict OLs based on returning starters. If you lose 3 or more, you struggle, if you return 3 or not you almost always improve over the year before. This is also a second hand article, I'm sure the original is behind a pay wall.

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Returning game 1 starter at RT. Returning a highly rated Center by PFF. Returning game 1 starter at RG, also good PFF grade. Returning freshman LT that started last 8 or so games and improved every week. Bring in good transfers and top rated LT. Yeah, it's more than a fair protection well improve. We had no depth last year and couldn't afford a single injury to OTs, and one went down in the Spring Game and the other got rolled game 1. We aren't that thin anywhere and we are more talented everywhere.

Reactions: b.wun

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I am not raising my expectations, which are lower than low, but...

This roster looks like Beamer's best. There is some talent there, and more depth. It looks like we have the pieces to have a decent season...

on paper.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

This roster looks like Beamer's best. There is some talent there, and more depth. It looks like we have the pieces to have a decent season...

on paper.
I don't disagree, but it also coincides with the toughest schedule we've had since he's been here.

Life as a Gamecock.

Reactions: b.wun

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022

on paper.
I think so. Why? The Transfer Portal. It has been in effect for 3 years. In the first year, we finished 3rd in the nation. What did we do in the season that followed? Won 8 games. The year after, we finished 47th in the nation. What followed was last season's disappointing year. How did we do in the most recent Transfer Portal rankings? Finished 10th in the nation. So, I'm optimistic about this coming season. The Transfer Portal gives you a chance to field almost an entirely new team from the previous year. So.....Go Cocks!!!

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Returning game 1 starter at RT. Returning a highly rated Center by PFF. Returning game 1 starter at RG, also good PFF grade. Returning freshman LT that started last 8 or so games and improved every week. Bring in good transfers and top rated LT. Yeah, it's more than a fair protection well improve. We had no depth last year and couldn't afford a single injury to OTs, and one went down in the Spring Game and the other got rolled game 1. We aren't that thin anywhere and we are more talented everywhere.
If you were describing Georgia or Alabama, I'd be all over it. With us, I have to be convinced. Admittedly, the numbers look good.

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
If you were describing Georgia or Alabama, I'd be all over it. With us, I have to be convinced. Admittedly, the numbers look good.
You're describing the two best teams, I'm saying how all the others work. Our starting 5 have better career PFF grades than we've had across the OL since the last time Elliott was here. Hell, go back and watch game 1, the interior offensive line didn't give up much of any penetration, it was that LT that replaced Nichols. He for pushed all the way across the line and rolled Henry. Look up Henry's PFF score, he didn't play many snaps, but he won every single one. We had no bodies behind Henry and Nichols. Tree came up and he had the top PFF grade against Georgia. Teams found out he wasn't ready for speed outside and that got cleaned up by Clemson, don't really remember him losing many reps then, but by then the OL was a mash unit. Tro was a freshman AA. All of these guys healthy for a full year in the dorm they played their last healthy snap would be in the top half from PFF, but Lee got injured the first game he was forced to RT, Tree got beaten badly the middle of the season because he was a true freshman thrown into the fire and he cleaned up by the end of the year. Tro was strong the whole season. Henry got injured by a teammate who would've never seen the field it Nichols didn't get hurt. By the time Tree and Tro were playing like veterans, and they were, we had gone through 6 season ending injuries because guys were playing positions they weren't used to and moving awkwardly, or they just shouldn't have been on the field with some of the walk ons and downright bad players we had to trot out. We all knew we didn't have another LT on roster when Nichols went down, why are you acting like we don't know exactly why we were bad last year. We know well enough to know it isn't a problem this year, we have 2 or 3 deep at every position of guys you can trust. So you think Josiah Thompson isn't a more reliable backup than Sidney Fugar? Do you think 3 P5 ready transfers mean nothing? Do you think Tro wasn't a real freshman AA? Vershon Lee had a 69 PFF score, so you think that's not great? So you think Tree didn't grow as a freshman? Do you think the coaches called Henry must improved player for no reason? Did you forget Moore has been starting for years, and has always carried his weight? We have a great starting 5, regardless who wins the LT and open guard job, we have great back ups and we lost two OL last year, one that you probably thought was bad who went to the league, and the Fugar who went from starting game 1 to 3rd or 4th string LT. From starting game 1 to 3rd string and you think we haven't improved?

Reactions: Cackmandu

JoeMorrisonLives

Joined Nov 16, 2020
Feb 6, 2022
Tree flashed early against Georgia with a PFF pass block grade of 90. Tro gave up no sacks on the season starting the fifth game on.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
You're describing the two best teams, I'm saying how all the others work. Our starting 5 have better career PFF grades than we've had across the OL since the last time Elliott was here. Hell, go back and watch game 1, the interior offensive line didn't give up much of any penetration, it was that LT that replaced Nichols. He for pushed all the way across the line and rolled Henry. Look up Henry's PFF score, he didn't play many snaps, but he won every single one. We had no bodies behind Henry and Nichols. Tree came up and he had the top PFF grade against Georgia. Teams found out he wasn't ready for speed outside and that got cleaned up by Clemson, don't really remember him losing many reps then, but by then the OL was a mash unit. Tro was a freshman AA. All of these guys healthy for a full year in the dorm they played their last healthy snap would be in the top half from PFF, but Lee got injured the first game he was forced to RT, Tree got beaten badly the middle of the season because he was a true freshman thrown into the fire and he cleaned up by the end of the year. Tro was strong the whole season. Henry got injured by a teammate who would've never seen the field it Nichols didn't get hurt. By the time Tree and Tro were playing like veterans, and they were, we had gone through 6 season ending injuries because guys were playing positions they weren't used to and moving awkwardly, or they just shouldn't have been on the field with some of the walk ons and downright bad players we had to trot out. We all knew we didn't have another LT on roster when Nichols went down, why are you acting like we don't know exactly why we were bad last year. We know well enough to know it isn't a problem this year, we have 2 or 3 deep at every position of guys you can trust. So you think Josiah Thompson isn't a more reliable backup than Sidney Fugar? Do you think 3 P5 ready transfers mean nothing? Do you think Tro wasn't a real freshman AA? Vershon Lee had a 69 PFF score, so you think that's not great? So you think Tree didn't grow as a freshman? Do you think the coaches called Henry must improved player for no reason? Did you forget Moore has been starting for years, and has always carried his weight? We have a great starting 5, regardless who wins the LT and open guard job, we have great back ups and we lost two OL last year, one that you probably thought was bad who went to the league, and the Fugar who went from starting game 1 to 3rd or 4th string LT. From starting game 1 to 3rd string and you think we haven't improved?
Preach it, I can't see one thing that you said that isn't the cold hard truth! We just have a bunch of fans around here who aren't going to believe it until they see it.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Tree flashed early against Georgia with a PFF pass block grade of 90. Tro gave up no sacks on the season starting the fifth game on.
Yeah, I doubt either one had any idea they would be starting true freshmen in the SEC early in the season. Tro was good in my book, I still question Tree's footwork, but it did get better as the season went on and should be much better this year.

Reactions: JoeMorrisonLives

Snake006

Joined Aug 7, 2007
Jan 31, 2022
Wow, I'm glad to know this. I thought every play we called last year was a Draw.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Preach it, I can't see one thing that you said that isn't the cold hard truth! We just have a bunch of fans around here who aren't going to believe it until they see it.
And what exactly is unwarranted about that? Any other approach to a team that performed as ours did last year is nonsensical.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You are welcome to tell me "I told you so" if this team wins seven games in any way, shape, form, or fashion, and provided that the defense isn't the reason more so than the offense. Break-even won't constitute a bounce-back season.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
And what exactly is unwarranted about that? Any other approach to a team that performed as ours did last year is nonsensical.
Oh, I'm not downing anyone that needs them to show me before I believe, I just believe they will be a better unit from the get go if they are healthier than they were last year.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Journalism at its finest. It doesn’t matter what a projection is as long as it was on time. What’s someone going to do at the end of the season? Fire the journalist?

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Fair enough. I'm just old and crotchety - and beaten down by years of mostly unfulfilled expectations.
Oh I know, I don't let it get to me anymore and just hope for the best! I'm at the age where I have much more important things to be miserable about other than my entertainment!

Reactions: KingWard

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

After all that painful reading, the last line is the kicker.

No, I don't think we've really improved.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login