USC Softball Program = Awful

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
I am going to keep this short and sweet. Beverly Smith's team is currently 2-10 in the SEC and resides in last place. Last year they also finished last and did not make the NCAA softball tourney. Her record in the SEC is abysmal to say the least. Beverly is a good woman but she simply cannot recruit and there is no excuse for not attacting softball players to USC with our proud history and tradition. She has been with the USC softball program for over 10 years and I do not see it getting any better. I mean does she not get tired of being the whipping boy for the other schools in the SEC that sponsor softball. USC has spent a lot of money on the softball stadium and the other things needed. She has everything but has not attracted the top of the line players. In the south no school should have a problem attracting players from California or any other state. I just hope a change is made at the end of the year. I used to go to a lot of USC softball games, but no more. Just plain awful.

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
I am going to keep this short and sweet. Beverly Smith's team is currently 2-10 in the SEC and resides in last place. Last year they also finished last and did not make the NCAA softball tourney. Her record in the SEC is abysmal to say the least. Beverly is a good woman but she simply cannot recruit and there is no excuse for not attacting softball players to USC with our proud history and tradition. She has been with the USC softball program for over 10 years and I do not see it getting any better. I mean does she not get tired of being the whipping boy for the other schools in the SEC that sponsor softball. USC has spent a lot of money on the softball stadium and the other things needed. She has everything but has not attracted the top of the line players. In the south no school should have a problem attracting players from California or any other state. I just hope a change is made at the end of the year. I used to go to a lot of USC softball games, but no more. Just plain awful.
To make matters worse, our rivals in the upstate have had a softball team for 2 years? yet they are top 20 and kicking our butts. I went to a softball game a few years ago and it had to be the most painful thing to watch. Even my own daughters have begged me to never take them back and they both like sports. This program is in bad shape. It should be better but isnt. Who knows what happens but baseball and softball have fallen hard from the top and it is both sad and frustrating.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
To make matters worse, our rivals in the upstate have had a softball team for 2 years? yet they are top 20 and kicking our butts. I went to a softball game a few years ago and it had to be the most painful thing to watch. Even my own daughters have begged me to never take them back and they both like sports. This program is in bad shape. It should be better but isnt. Who knows what happens but baseball and softball have fallen hard from the top and it is both sad and frustrating.
I agree with everything you have just said. Sounds like you are familiar with sports. You need to be able to recruit just plain and simple. You can be the best coach in the world and stay up to midnight coaching and teaching but like on any level in any sport you got to have players who can play. Look at Dawn Staley her first few years at USC she coached her heart out but she did not have the players. Well now look at her recruiting getting elite players and she has won 2 national championships. Beverly may be a good person, maybe she needs to be a missionary but she is not an elite softball coach. Your daughters know who can play and who cannot play that is why they asked you not to take them back. The kids know who can play. Cannot fool them.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
To make matters worse, our rivals in the upstate have had a softball team for 2 years? yet they are top 20 and kicking our butts. I went to a softball game a few years ago and it had to be the most painful thing to watch. Even my own daughters have begged me to never take them back and they both like sports. This program is in bad shape. It should be better but isn't. Who knows what happens but baseball and softball have fallen hard from the top and it is both sad and frustrating.
Softball lost to the Taters last night. Both the softball and baseball games last night were uninspiring, even though baseball did beat North Florida.

Last edited:

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
We have a beautiful stadium. No reason why we can't attract talented young ladies.

Jan 18, 2022

TL; DR

RAtheOLcoach

Jan 20, 2022
They pulled the Betenbaugh girl from Union a few years ago. She is a baller. She dominated Hs pitching. She’s done well, but hasn’t been dominate. Which means to me, not much further development. Being a former coach, you have to A. Recruit at a high level then B. Development that talent to its fullest extent.

Spurman54

Joined Apr 19, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
They pulled the Betenbaugh girl from Union a few years ago. She is a baller. She dominated Hs pitching. She’s done well, but hasn’t been dominate. Which means to me, not much further development. Being a former coach, you have to A. Recruit at a high level then B. Development that talent to its fullest extent.
Bailey Betenbaugh was a true baller at Union H.S. She trys and has done ok, not SEC softball. Not sure what has happened with her lack of development but it is not there. I went to a game last year and Bailey was pitching and she walked 4 batters in a row. Still to this day has not thrown a strike. I was voicing my concern and one of the ushers asked me to leave because I was voicing my concern. People this day and time are so soft, they love the praise but they cannot take it when they are called out for being bad. I guess I am from the old school. The girls on the team are trying but where it all starts on the pitching mound USC does not have that true dominant pitcher and the hitting on this team is so inconsistent. Beverly Smith is a good person but she is not a top of the line coach in the SEC. Just look at her overall record in the SEC. Just like our sorry baseball team the same problems. A change is needed in the baseball program as well.

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Sad but true. We were very good a few years ago. Place was packed, updated stadium, etc. Softball is huge in the SEC. Agree when Clemson starts
a new program and is immediately better than us something is wrong. Coach seems nice but not getting it done. Ray needs to make a change.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Sad but true. We were very good a few years ago. Place was packed, updated stadium, etc. Softball is huge in the SEC. Agree when Clemson starts
a new program and is immediately better than us something is wrong. Coach seems nice but not getting it done. Ray needs to make a change.
She's the Nancy Wilson of softball.

Cocky99

Jan 27, 2022
It’s one of those sports that’s off a lot of peoples radar so it sounds like tge HC is just kinda costing along with no expectations….. Collecting an easy check

cocky347

Jan 22, 2022
PLEASE DON't let Ray make a change. Bev got an extension last year as reward for being the only SEC softball team to not make the playoffs.

Jan 21, 2022
Didn't Clemson's first year in Softball program last year beat Carolina's softball program???

Maybe the old WF3H's can play softball for the girls and bring some beer to the game...

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login