USM Offering Full Rides to EVERY Sr Student from MSMS

HotMop

May 8, 2006
That's pretty bold seeing as how those are the kids that would qualify for a full ride anywhere.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Just learned MSMS is on the W's campus. So if MSU absorbs the W, maybe the MSMS nerds get pushed a bit more towards MSU in the coming years.

I cant criticize USM for formalizing this offer, even if students were basically guaranteed to attend USM for free before this was announced. Its never bad as a university to align yourself with an elite educational HS, especially in a period of time when national enrollment is expected to decline due to birth numbers and a general de-emphasizing of a diploma's value.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
Before I went into HS about 1991, 6 of my closest friends just disappeared one summer without explanation. Turns out, they all went to MSMS.

I've only seen 1 of them since. I guess we weren't that close.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
My high school basketball team lost to MSMS one year. It was one of the most embarrassing losses I have been a part of. We had just got done with football the week before and only practiced twice. I remember them doing homework in the stands before the game.

• Haha
Reactions: jethreauxdawg

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Just learned MSMS is on the W's campus. So if MSU absorbs the W, maybe the MSMS nerds get pushed a bit more towards MSU in the coming years.

I cant criticize USM for formalizing this offer, even if students were basically guaranteed to attend USM for free before this was announced. Its never bad as a university to align yourself with an elite educational HS, especially in a period of time when national enrollment is expected to decline due to birth numbers and a general de-emphasizing of a diploma's value.
More kids turn down MSMS than go when offered. It should have its own location like MS School of Arts. Guess it's more incentive to go if Polymer Science is your thing.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
MSU is the number one destination for their grads already. It’s not a majority as many go out of state, but MSU is top destination. Alabama is second and UM a distant 3rd

Reactions: 17itdawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

I'll double down: I think it's a very smart play. Yes, USM needs AIS, but they have been trending upwards in average ACT scores. This is chance to poach. Good move.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

kired

Aug 22, 2008
That's pretty bold seeing as how those are the kids that would qualify for a full ride anywhere.
Really? I have no clue --- only knew a few who went there when I was in hs, and that was 25-30 years ago. Two were geniuses and probably did get a full ride. But the others weren't anything special. I can't imagine them getting full rides "anywhere"

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Really? I have no clue --- only knew a few who went there when I was in hs, and that was 25-30 years ago. Two were geniuses and probably did get a full ride. But the others weren't anything special. I can't imagine them getting full rides "anywhere"
My sample size is low, but the smartest dude I knew went there. I've always assumed it was the genius school.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
WArning to MSMS grads, every USM grad I've met outside of mississippi works at taco bell, captain d's, walmart, or arby's. Just saying....

When USM says ANYONE ANYWHERE ANYTIME they mean it

Not sure if that's a referendum on USM grads..... or the places you frequent*********

I can’t remember the last time I went to Captain D’s

Walmart - at least - is the number one Supermarket chain in the nation.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook

cindy_ev

Feb 3, 2023
The rumor is that Ole Miss already has a similar deal in the works. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Your move, MSU.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Going to go out on a limb that USM (and supposedly OM if the above is true) see the writing on the wall about their chances of getting any MSMS grads after MSU potentially absorbs the W and MSMS.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
MSMS was not around back when I was in high school but I know families that have kids that went there at the same time that my kids were in high school. My sample size is pretty small but I can say that the ones I knew were pretty smart but not real well rounded students. They were smart and made good grades but they did not necessarily blossom in the real world after finishing school.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
MSMS was not around back when I was in high school but I know families that have kids that went there at the same time that my kids were in high school. My sample size is pretty small but I can say that the ones I knew were pretty smart but not real well rounded students. They were smart and made good grades but they did not necessarily blossom in the real world after finishing school.

MSMS started up when I was an undergrad at State.

I rarely dwell on the past but there have been times that I’ve wished the school was founded 5-10 years earlier.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I am happy for the 4 MSMS students that will receive this full ride to a baseball school

• Haha
Reactions: FormerBully

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I will at least say that it seems most USM graduates stay in MS, while OM and MSU just pump them out of state in record numbers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login