USM pitcher Waldrep to Florida...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
This is what makes me sick now that it's in the open. This probably won't happen to us in baseball but Waldrep was playing for a pretty damn good program and just left for more $$.

It's going to happen to us in football or basketball where we lose a big time contributor.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
….. to Alabama.
Alabama will go backwards (slightly) in the NIL era. Many schools will more money than them. Their days of domination likely die with Saban. Texas A&M is already out-doing them and Saban can't "adapt" this time, as it's out of his control.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I understand you have an affinity for them. But it is one of the few good things that likely come out of NIL.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
This is what makes me sick now that it's in the open. This probably won't happen to us in baseball but Waldrep was playing for a pretty damn good program and just left for more $$.

It's going to happen to us in football or basketball where we lose a big time contributor.

It would be smart recruiting for the power schools to let lesser programs take the chance on "projects" and overlooked players, and if they work out, the bigger programs will poach them. If they don't work out, the lesser school took the hit, and the power schools won't have to take the publicity hit from signing them and processing them. This is just how it's going to be from now on, apparently.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Alabama will go backwards (slightly) in the NIL era. Many schools will more money than them. Their days of domination likely die with Saban. Texas A&M is already out-doing them and Saban can't "adapt" this time, as it's out of his control.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I understand you have an affinity for them. But it is one of the few good things that likely come out of NIL.

Absolutely the reason saban will retire soon. Every NC of his should have an asterisk for pre-NIL / level playing field

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This could be slowed down some if the NCAA would change back the transfer rules.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

I don't think it's going to happen as much as you think. It may cost us a little in NIL for a few guys here or there, but that just is what it is. For most guys in football, they don't want to give up a starting spot unless the next place can guarantee it. And most of these guys don't have breakout years until their 3rd year anyway, and at that point, they are draft-eligible. A guy like Dak, who didn't break out until his 4th year.....then decided to come back for a 5th when he didn't have to? That guy isn't going to be swayed by NIL.

I mean we already lost Aaron Brule. Does anybody really care? That's the type we likely lose, barring a coaching change.

Not to mention we will get lots more in return by raiding the remnants of the blue blood's roster (a solid source of 4 star level talent). Banks, Robinson, Green, etc.

Back to the USM pitcher.....dude was from Georgia. Maybe he also wanted to get closer to home.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
LSU and Florida are all in on NIL for baseball after watching UTenn have a go at it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Gainesville is about a 2 hour drive from his home in Georgia. SEC, NIL, distance from home made it a pretty easy choice.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I do not believe the NIL numbers. I bet these kids are sitting there laughing at all these adults out there who buy this stuff. Who in their right mind thinks it's a good use of 250K to buy a baseball player who likely only plays one season, and who isn't DIRECTLY getting something in return. Florida doesn't even fill their stadium for a Super Regional, you telling me they care enough to pay this level of cash for a baseball player? Hell no.

Just like the Miami QB who got 10M. Yeah okay buddy.

This cat is probably getting SOME money. But the biggest factor in his decision was likely playing in the SEC, at a national power program who's won a title recently, 2/3s distance closer to home.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I do not believe the NIL numbers. I bet these kids are sitting there laughing at all these adults out there who buy this stuff. Who in their right mind thinks it's a good use of 250K to buy a baseball player who likely only plays one season, and who isn't DIRECTLY getting something in return. Florida doesn't even fill their stadium for a Super Regional, you telling me they care enough to pay this level of cash for a baseball player? Hell no.

Just like the Miami QB who got 10M. Yeah okay buddy.

This cat is probably getting SOME money. But the biggest factor in his decision was likely playing in the SEC, at a national power program who's won a title recently, 2/3s distance closer to home.

The actual correct payment numbers mean very little. Doesn’t matter if its $250k, $100k, $25k, or $10k. As it relates to MSU, the only relevant fact is that it is open bidding season every off-season for every player in every sport, and we have less overall to offer in those bids than all but 2 or 3 other SEC schools. That’s the unsolvable problem for us.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
As it relates to MSU, the only relevant fact is that it is open bidding season every off-season for every player in every sport, and we have less overall to offer in those bids than all but 2 or 3 other SEC schools. That’s the unsolvable problem for us.

How is this any different than the last 100 years of MSU Athletics?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
How is this any different than the last 100 years of MSU Athletics?

Is this a serious question? How about that its completely legal, and nobody has to sit a year. Its annual unrestricted free agency, which has only been a thing for about a year and a half.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We've been pretty good at signing some 3 star type players in the past and developing them. We'll have a much harder time keeping these type kids (the ones that come into their own in their Frosh/Soph year) for their junior and senior years in the future.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The NIL is new and exciting but business men and boosters are going to get tired of throwing this kind of money around year after year with little to no return. Once the new wears off buying players things will start to even out. The real big time schools who have enough money to set up an endowment so that the interest alone will pay the players will be on top of the sports world but aren't they already there. Will anything really change?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The NIL is new and exciting but business men and boosters are going to get tired of throwing this kind of money around year after year with little to no return. Once the new wears off buying players things will start to even out. The real big time schools who have enough money to set up an endowment so that the interest alone will pay the players will be on top of the sports world but aren't they already there. Will anything really change?
Boom. And yeah, there will be some change, but it'll be at the top. Places like USC's and Miami's will rise a little, whereas the Alabama's and Auburn's may fall a little.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We've been pretty good at signing some 3 star type players in the past and developing them. We'll have a much harder time keeping these type kids (the ones that come into their own in their Frosh/Soph year) for their junior and senior years in the future.
Name 10 of those guys from the past say, 10-15 years that we likely could have lost due to an NIL-induced transfer or a blue-blood transfer (in other words, transferring 'up'). Most of our guys don't "come into their own" until at least their 3rd or 4th years on campus, Dak included. And no, Dak is not one of them that would have left. You don't come back for a 5th year if you're that type of player.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The actual correct payment numbers mean very little. Doesn’t matter if its $250k, $100k, $25k, or $10k. As it relates to MSU, the only relevant fact is that it is open bidding season every off-season for every player in every sport, and we have less overall to offer in those bids than all but 2 or 3 other SEC schools. That’s the unsolvable problem for us.
Well then that means that NIL certainly isn't as big of a factor (and 100% less of a factor) as many are making it out to be.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Just because it's less money than people thought before. And will become even less as the newness wears off and these guys realize the lost income, economic downturns, etc. Generally, before NIL, paying a player (or offering a payment contingent upon signing) under the table really did nothing but get you in the game with him. Once that hurdle was passed, THEN the true decision was based on the normal things - coaching, location, playing time, getting to the league, etc.

Now I fully acknowledge that more money will now be passed around now, due to the legality of it - but I truly believe that won't be so much recruiting-wise, that will be the NIL due to them once on campus, due to performance and ACTUAL branding. Example - I don't see Walmart and Tyson paying recruits for Arkansas. I DO seem them paying the starting QB, or whoever, for actual marketing opportunities that actually help Walmart and Tyson. And that will probably extend beyond Arkansas.

This booster stuff is just kinda what has always been there under the table. Texas A&M has always paid for recruits, nothing changed there will NIL. Eric Dickerson and the TransA&M? I think the reason they got the great class last year was because they beat Alabama, and Jimbo has them on the cusp of actually realizing the potential that was always there (though I still think their weirdness will limit them, but that's another conversation).

So to sum all that up, the less money we are talking about, the more that the original factors come back into play (the things I listed above - playing time, coaching, etc.)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login