Vandy's court:

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Now that the Vandy game is upon us...time to ***** and moan a bit.

There is no way the SEC or NCAA should allow Vandy to play on their horseshit court. Home teams should get a homecourt advantage created strictly by the fans...not the way you set up the gym. Give 'em a set of guidelines (basically, put the teams on the side) and three to five years to get it changed. They clearly gain an extra homecourt advantage with that goofy *** setup.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Now that the Vandy game is upon us...time to ***** and moan a bit.

There is no way the SEC or NCAA should allow Vandy to play on their horseshit court. Home teams should get a homecourt advantage created strictly by the fans...not the way you set up the gym. Give 'em a set of guidelines (basically, put the teams on the side) and three to five years to get it changed. They clearly gain an extra homecourt advantage with that goofy *** setup.

G

Goat Holder

if nothing else, it just makes it a bit "odd". And I think it can affect performance.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I think before warmups the visiting team gets to choose at which goal they will shoot in the fist half. So if Stans wants his offense near him in the second half, he just need to make that known on Wednesday night.

My recollection of this rule is that Nolan Richardson always wanted his defense near him in the second half instead of his offense, so he flipped things around from normal for the home team.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
I dont know the rule but I am pretty sure Bruce Pearl had UT on his end in the 2nd half of that game.

ESPNDawg

Jul 19, 2007
that is not true. You always shoot at the goal farthest from your bench in the first half and shoot at the goal by your bench in the second half. Also, the home team decides which bench they use.

Section 20. Team BenchesScorers and Timers Table

Art. 1. Choice of benches is made by the home teams game administration.

Art. 2. The team benches shall be located equidistant from the division line extended at each side of the scorers and timers table on the sidelines.

Art. 3. The scorers and timers table shall be located courtside and at midcourt.

Art. 4. Teams shall warm up at the end of the playing court farthest from their own bench for the first half.

www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2008/2008_m_w_basketball_rules.pdf

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
From the 2007 rule book...

Quote:_________________________________________________Each team shall warm up and shoot during the first half at the basket farthest from its bench._________________________________________________
(page BR-75)

Also, on page BR-40, it says...
Quote:_________________________________________________Game shall be played with benches as located by home-team management. The referee has no authority to move either bench unless for player safety; however, mutual consent should have been obtained before the game._________________________________________________
So evidently the home team can put the benches anywhere it wants. However, if someone objects to Vandy's layout prior to a game, I suppose they could be forced to put the benches on the sideline.

Edited to note 2007 rules.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Art. 2. The team benches shall be located equidistant from the division line extended at each side of the scorers and timers table on the sidelines._________________________________________________

Apparently, Jack Cristil wrote this part of the rule.

ESPNDawg

Jul 19, 2007
that is the 2007 rulebook. The 2008 rulebook that I linked above does not mention that statement.

Uncle Leo

Jun 30, 2006
This page has a link to the 2008 rules.

This page has a link to the 2007 rules.

I obviously went through the latter. Odd that they'd have both, as both above links can be found on the same page. Also odd that they'd have a rule book for a calendar year, when the season stretches over two years.

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
the rule says nothing about which end each team plays on. it only mentions warming up.

Quote:_________________________________________________Art. 4. Teams shall warm up at the end of the playing court farthest from their own bench for the first half._________________________________________________

i didn't open the link, so maybe i'm missing something. section 20 does not seem to be applicable (unless a rule says that you must play offense on the end at which you warm up).

lawdawg02

Jan 23, 2007
minnesota, i think?

i think a key advantage is the odd goals. they should have to have the standard goals, just like everyone else.

ESPNDawg

Jul 19, 2007
fine, use this rule from the 2008 rule book.

Section 4. Basket
Art. 1. Each basket consists of an 18-inch ring, its flange and braces, and appended net through which players attempt to throw or tap the ball.
Art. 2. A teams own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball. Each team shall warm-up and shoot during the first half at the basket farthest from its bench.
Art. 3. The teams shall change baskets for the second half.

ESPNDawg

Jul 19, 2007
the 2008 book was published in August 2007 so I would think that would be for the 07-08 season.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I know for a fact that Tennessee was on offense on their bench's end in the second half. Jimmy Dykes kept making a huge deal about Pearl being able to coach his team more in the second half.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
....JP Prince committed a foul when Pearl didn't want one because he couldn't hear him on the defensive end.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
It is always like that.

You have your defense on your bench side for the first half and your offense on your bench side for the second half.

This is not rocket science, it is the rules of the game.

Feb 15, 2007
Dennis Felton from UGA had the same problem in the first half of the Vandy game. With his team running offense on the other side of the floor, he kept leaving the coach's box and got T'd up. They had to pause the game twice so the ref could talk to him. Thing is though he's coached there I think 5 times since being at Georgia.

Ironic thing is UGA was only down like two at the break and when they played near their bench in the second, Vandy kicked the crap outta them. So I don't think it really matters where the bench is.

M

MasterDawg

Quote:_________________________________________________Art. 2. The team benches shall be located equidistant from the division line extended at each side of the scorers and timers table on the sidelines._________________________________________________
Vandy's benches are on the baseline not the sideline correct? So are they in violation?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login