Very OT: Ant hills west side of I55 south Madison Ave/ Lake Castle

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Has anyone else noticed the 100's of huge ant hills between Madison Ave/Lake Castle and the Ridgeland exit? I think those 17ers are taking over. I know ants are everywhere but I have never seen that many in a relatively small area. Once you get south of the Ridgeland exit you don't noticed them anymore.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I can’t get them off my property. I treat one hill 3 more pop up.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
View attachment 23504

I tended to mix it a little stronger than suggested and used a surfactant. About 10oz in a 30 gallon sprayer... Once a month from March until October. I had hundreds of mounds on my lot (nearly 2 acres) when I bought my last house a few years ago. After first treatment they were gonna and never came back. I had more rabbits than ants on that property after the first treatment.

View attachment 23505

View attachment 23506

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We like the the orthene fire ant treatment powder. Sprinkle a little on the hill and disturb it a little to get them active and there’s no more ants the next day.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
You gotta treat the whole yard. Otherwise they just move. It doesn't really kill all of them, just makes them move. If you spray your yard they will move to your neighbors yard.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I use Over and Out granules in my yard. I use about half a bag on my 1/3 acre and apply it with a hand spreader. Cheap, easy, and effective. They carry this everywhere as well.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Ant colony's are huge. It is more than one bed. I would assume you are seeing more and taller ones in that area because of all the rain. They are digging mounds higher because of all the water. My guess.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We like the the orthene fire ant treatment powder. Sprinkle a little on the hill and disturb it a little to get them active and there’s no more ants the next day.
Until it rains, then a pile springs up a few yards away. I've not had much success with that stuff. It does the job I guess, if just temporary. Probably is no permanent solution.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We went to Georgia Labor Day weekend and the stretch between Brenton and Evergreen Alabama was insane. There were 1 1/2 ft tall mounds every 20 yards. I cringed just looking at them.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

I do this for hills I need to kill quickly and Amdro bait for longer term applications.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
This is correct. For 2 months I tried granules and spot treatment and it just moved the mounds a few feet away.

I sprayed my yard the first time after I was told about Bifen (may have been on here in fact) and 2 days later all of those mounds popped up at my neighbor's house. Luckily he didn't put it together that I was the cause. I did let him use the bifen and my sprayer and he had the same success. We ended up going in on a gallon every year together. Not sure I have ever had a product work better for a problem in my life.

Feb 4, 2015
Has anyone else noticed the 100's of huge ant hills between Madison Ave/Lake Castle and the Ridgeland exit? I think those 17ers are taking over. I know ants are everywhere but I have never seen that many in a relatively small area. Once you get south of the Ridgeland exit you don't noticed them anymore.

Saw them yesterday on my way home and was blown away how many there were and how quickly they popped up.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I put the cheap granules out twice in the spring about a month apart before a rain and haven't had them in several years now. I may just force them next door but they deserve them anyway

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I used to have 25-40 beds a year and started treating with Dominion

that stuff kills them quick. In about the last 4 years I've probably averaged 6 beds a year in both the front and back yard on 1/3 of an acre of property

opusdawg

Jan 14, 2009

really odd to find this on the board today, because I noticed them this morning and almost took a picture/video. Very impressive.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
really odd to find this on the board today, because I noticed them this morning and almost took a picture/video. Very impressive.

This week was the first time I noticed them. Like said in the original post I know ant hills are everywhere but I dont ever remember ever seeing that many before. There are 100s and 100s in a 1/4 of mile stretch then nothing south of there.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I am betting your ant mound area is a place where water collects after heavy rains.

Search "fire ant raft" on Google. My old neighborhood was flat without curb and gutter. In September of 2018 we got about 10" of rain overnight and I saw dozens of them. I thought it was sawdust at first and damn near stepped in them.

Poor guy at the entrance to the neighborhood where the flood waters rushed out ended up with a dozen new colonies.

View attachment 23509

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Most insecticides will kill all insects. It's just a matter of how you apply them and in what concentration.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
View attachment 23504

I tended to mix it a little stronger than suggested and used a surfactant. About 10oz in a 30 gallon sprayer... Once a month from March until October. I had hundreds of mounds on my lot (nearly 2 acres) when I bought my last house a few years ago. After first treatment they were gonna and never came back. I had more rabbits than ants on that property after the first treatment.

View attachment 23505

View attachment 23506
I spray my yard about twice per year with Bifen and it works. I rarely mow a fire ant mound. I’ve even found something to kill the Japanese beetles/ Lady Bug things. Spray around the doors and windows and they rarely make it inside. The few that make it inside die very quickly.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If you spray your whole yard it’s going to kill almost everything. There’s nothing they can just pinpoint ants that I’m aware of. That’s the beauty of the spot treatment, you’re only applying it to the ant hill itself.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I've only found one sure fire (no pun intended) way to get rid of them. Dig a small trench around the hill. Fill it with diesel. From the outside in, pour about 5 gallons of diesel on hill and let it soak down for a second. Light. It will sound like popcorn popping when all the ones under ground start burning.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004

I go through so much of that stuff my neighbor asked if I have stock in the company.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I went to the GCSAA National Show one year in Atlanta (Golf Course Superintendents Association of America) and there was a vendor there that had an Ant Gun. It looked like an old Thompson machine gun complete w/ trigger, a small water tank and regular green Coleman propane tank, both mounted underneath it. Instead of a barrel on the gun there was a stainless steel pipe or probe w/ holes all around it. The basis of it was it was an ant killing steam gun. You pulled the trigger and it ignited a small flame of some type and made steam which was pumped into the ground through the small holes in the stainless barrel theoretically killing all the ants below including the queen with steam instead of chemicals. I guess now you could compare it to an instant water heater in your home. This model was for homeowners but he was working on a much bigger one he could put in the back of a side by side or golf cart with bigger water and larger propane tanks. I told him then he needed Bill Murray as a spokesperson dressed up like Carl Spackler in Caddyshack "licensed by the Government of the United Nations to Kill Ants" instead of "varmints". I went to other shows after that and never saw him or the Ant Steam Gun so not sure it ever took off.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
If you spray your whole yard it’s going to kill almost everything. There’s nothing they can just pinpoint ants that I’m aware of. That’s the beauty of the spot treatment, you’re only applying it to the ant hill itself.
Yep. Spot spraying the beds while mowing is effective, to me. I can come back the next day and see thousands of dead ants on the mound, which is incredibly satisfying. I do this every mowing.

My observations tell me that there are just a lot more ants that haven’t made visible mounds than I realize. After 3 years of religious mound treatment with Bifen, I finally have a leg up. Also, I had it in my head that the label recommends up to 1oz per gallon for bed treatment. I saw a reference earlier to a lower rate. Periodic broadcast of Amdro bait also seems productive but takes a little more effort on a large lot.

Sep 15, 2009
I can’t get them off my property. I treat one hill 3 more pop up.
That's because you are probably treating the top of the hill. These things are like icebergs. What you see above ground is just the tip of something much larger.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Bifenthrin is the technical pesticide in both. So its just a question of the formulation and other additives. Both will work about the same.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login