Wait, wait, let me guess. This Saturday is ANOTHER

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
in a long line of season long (or career long for Howland here) make it or break it games for this team, right? The fans will come back in droves if we win Saturday, right? All we need to do is give the students better seats and we'll fill the Hump, right? And we'll spend million$ to remodel and fill the Hump and win, right? People, an old Hump and students sitting in the perceived wrong seats aren't why fans don't show up for our games.......

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We will win on Saturday. Probably by double digits. We are at home and Ole Miss is a bad team. But then we will lose the following two games against good teams on the road, both probably by double digits. This team (and every team under Howland) is easy to predict.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
It's his last rivalry game. So maybe there's some emotion. And we can beat SC. But this team isn't good. It's not nearly as talented as some thought. It's a pieced together roster with no chemistry and little coaching.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's his last rivalry game. So maybe there's some emotion. And we can beat SC. But this team isn't good. It's not nearly as talented as some thought. It's a pieced together roster with no chemistry and little coaching.

Basketball, more than any other sport I think, is about having the best high end talent on the floor. You're generally better off having two really good players and 3 marginal ones than having 5 solid to pretty good players.

Everybody got excited about the talent on this team, but we are talented because we go ten deep. We don't have really high end talent at any one position. Molinar is the closest, and he could be the best player on the team if the 2nd player was about as good as him and it was solid everywhere else. But he really needs to be the second best player on a good team. Tolu is a really strong role player. You're #1 would have to be really good for Tolu to be your second guy and the team be good. I think Jeffries and Brooks ar ethe same. They look like they have everything they need to be a #1 guy, but I don't think they're ever good #2's. Brooks lost time at UNC and Jeffries, while it's hard to say because of injuries, didn't do anything to make you think he was going to be what people thought at Memphis.

We have a team with a strong #2 and then 9 deep of guys that range from solid #3's to weak #2's. It would have taken incredible coaching or just luck with chemistry developing to really translate all that deep talent into a really good team. Doesn't look like i'ts going to happen. Looks like we are a borderline bubble team. Good enough to consistently be discussed as far as getting into the tournament, but probably consistently as a team that doesn't quite make the cut.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
We got pieces of the puzzle, but missing piece to me is not having a point guard during the Howland era.

My only question is how can a team that NEVER plays zone be this bad at defending the perimeter? And not just this team but every Howland team? In normal logic the M2M D is supposed to be the best for guarding perimeter shots and the zone better for interior D. We definitely don't follow that logic.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login