Wake Forest unveils mixed-use development plans

outsidedawg

Jun 9, 2011
In light of recent Starkville and campus related threads, I thought this new Wake Forest development was interesting (Sports Business Journal Article). In that light, what is going on with this area? I think someone said the University owned it, but could be wrong. The four lane disconnecting campus has always seemed like an issue for developing this area, but Auburn's Toomer's corner is three lane, so it feels like something could be done to better connect campus to commercial/residential.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 4.20.45 PM.png

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Another missed opportunity. That presidential library won't generate a thing. Theyre just moving it from the backside of campus. We get so caught up in government/military stuff, we should be a military school.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
In light of recent Starkville and campus related threads, I thought this new Wake Forest development was interesting (Sports Business Journal Article). In that light, what is going on with this area? I think someone said the University owned it, but could be wrong. The four lane disconnecting campus has always seemed like an issue for developing this area, but Auburn's Toomer's corner is three lane, so it feels like something could be done to better connect campus to commercial/residential.

View attachment 646764
When the Courtyard was built, there was also supposed to be an Azlin's Steakhouse and a couple of other things on that stretch of land. Years later and still nothing but the Courtyard.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

View attachment 646764
The 4 lane is going to be a continuous problem until we deal with it. Pumping high speed through a prime walkable area.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Some guy on Gene’s Page who is apparently in the know said it, but I don’t have any official confirmation on that. Everybody seems to buy in. I guess we will see.
They just spent 10 million on expanding Mitchell Memorial Library in 2018 to house the Grant Library. I find it hard to believe that they would do something else like new construction.

StealYourState

Nov 9, 2023
They just spent 10 million on expanding Mitchell Memorial Library in 2018 to house the Grant Library. I find it hard to believe that they would do something else like new construction.
They are gonna be building it and currently trying to get donations for it. The MSU welcome center is also going to be over there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darryl Steight

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That was my thought too. I haven't seen or heard anything about it. That being said it does draw a good many visitors and would draw more if it was easier to get to.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The federal government gave the university $30m for new library. Mitchell Memorial needs more space for students and other research, so the US Grant Collection and possibility Abraham Lincoln collection will move to the new museum/library. Architects have been hired and university is in fundraising mode to add to the $30m

ETA: Only a small portion of the Grant Collection is on display in the existing space at MML, hence the need for larger facility and MML's need for space. Plus, as another poster noted, making it more accessible to visitors.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
When the Courtyard was built, there was also supposed to be an Azlin's Steakhouse and a couple of other things on that stretch of land. Years later and still nothing but the Courtyard.

Azlins was part of a different development than The Courtyard and The Mill. It was part of the strip center where Maroon & Co is. That group was supposed to build another hotel, in which Azlins was to be located, due south of the Courtyard, but developer never could get proper financing. You will notice the elevator pit there if ever visiting Maroon and Co.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
The federal government gave the university $30m for new library. Mitchell Memorial needs more space for students and other research, so the US Grant Collection and possibility Abraham Lincoln collection will move to the new museum/library. Architects have been hired and university is in fundraising mode to add to the $30m

ETA: Only a small portion of the Grant Collection is on display in the existing space at MML, hence the need for larger facility and MML's need for space. Plus, as another poster noted, making it more accessible to visitors.
I wish we'd stop taking money from those clowns.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021

View attachment 646764
pretty sure a "multi use space" was what college view was trying to be. I haven't been on campus in a while, but i don't think retail/restaurants have done well and its sitting pretty much as a residence hall/apartments.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Something like this is a good idea.

I've heard fans of other SEC schools say that Starkville has done well, but it's hurt by the attractive parts not being seen by people who aren't looking for it.

If you're coming from out of town for a football game, this is basically what you see:
  • Highway 25
  • Highway 12
  • I-82
  • Highway 182

Reactions: outsidedawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Good deal! That place draws more people than most know. If it was in a more accessible place by car, it would draw more.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
pretty sure a "multi use space" was what college view was trying to be. I haven't been on campus in a while, but i don't think retail/restaurants have done well and its sitting pretty much as a residence hall/apartments.
yep

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

I've heard fans of other SEC schools say that Starkville has done well, but it's hurt by the attractive parts not being seen by people who aren't looking for it.

If you're coming from out of town for a football game, this is basically what you see:
  • Highway 25
  • Highway 12
  • I-82
  • Highway 182
Honestly there isn't much you can do about any of that.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Honestly there isn't much you can do about any of that.
An attractive mixed-use space developed at the location highlighted by the original poster would be seen by everyone coming to campus from Highway 25/12. I'm sure there are other opportunities elsewhere.

BhamDawg310

Apr 11, 2019

• Highway 25
  • Highway 12
  • I-82
  • Highway 182
I think that fuels the perception that there isnt much in Starkville. If people stay at a hotel out highway 12 after you get off 82, they can miss the entire town

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
You are aware we already host Grant's library, right?
Yes of course, but I've changed my mind, we should host the Zachary Taylor library, as he actually lived in Mississippi at the time of his election.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login