Was it Polk or McMahon that pissed off John Grisham?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Basically Grisham made a donation to keep UVA baseball going… The story was if I remember correctly, either Polk or McMahon wouldn’t let Grisham’s son on the the team, but UVA did and Grisham made the donation.
I remember when Grisham lived outside of Oxford, he had a miniature Dudy Noble built in his front yard. Then Oxford let a trailer park go in next door to his house and he got mad and left for Virginia.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Seem like back when it happened that Polk always got the blame on the interwebs but it was actually McMahon. I just went back and read an article from Jan. 11th 2001 saying Grisham signed with UVA. McMahon didn't leave until after the 2001 season so he was coach during that time.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Basically Grisham made a donation to keep UVA baseball going… The story was if I remember correctly, either Polk or McMahon wouldn’t let Grisham’s son on the the team, but UVA did and Grisham made the donation.
I remember when Grisham lived outside of Oxford, he had a miniature Dudy Noble built in his front yard. Then Oxford let a trailer park go in next door to his house and he got mad and left for Virginia.
I gotta admit, that was quite a troll by Oxford.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
The other one that's a head scratcher to me is Raffy's son. How did he not end up at State?

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
The other one that's a head scratcher to me is Raffy's son. How did he not end up at State?
If I remember correctly, the older of Raffy's sons wasn't really good enough for State, and it was during the transition from Polk II to Cohen. The younger one State recruited, but he just picked NC State. I can't remember either of their names at the moment, and I'm too lazy to quickly search it.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mississippi loves to run off bright people.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If I remember correctly, the older of Raffy's sons wasn't really good enough for State, and it was during the transition from Polk II to Cohen. The younger one State recruited, but he just picked NC State. I can't remember either of their names at the moment, and I'm too lazy to quickly search it.
Correct. That's why Raffy was never mad, and continued to donate/cheer for us. Both wanted to do their own things and not live in the shadow, which was big. Especially with the steroid stuff.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Mississippi loves to run off bright people.
You are right about this. The "good Ole boy" network was especially strong under Larry Templeton. I'm sure some of it is still in place but Foglesong did us a great service!

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I met a close family member of JG several years ago and asked about this. This person indicated that it was Polk that he had a disagreement with and also indicated that it was just not just Polk. that JG is kind of prickly himself and when he has a disagreement he tends to get huffy and say the hell with it, move on never to look back. You can see that side of him in the essay he wrote on DNF for Almunus magazine some years ago where as a young college student he bounced from school to school until he came to state.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Surely he’s not still mad at us, after all he narrated the new Dude intro. I’m sure we paid him, though so maybe that makes it even.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You would think rather than run off he would have said "if you want any money out of me you need to run those guys off".

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Surely he’s not still mad at us, after all he narrated the new Dude intro. I’m sure we paid him, though so maybe that makes it even.
IF he was I don't think he would've done the Dudy Noble video they show before each home game. I've seen that video a hundred times and it never gets old.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Strange though that Raffy is not included with the "State To The Show" video piece shown every game, but Will Clark & Jeff Brantley are.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Since rumors are encouraged on the pack, I had heard from a reliable source that Grisham's son had a lesbian fling with one of our assistant coaches and Templeton was having none of it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login