Washington hired Arizonas Fisch

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I like him. It will be interesting to see how well he does there.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I guess I’m not in the know on the teams out West but seems like a weird move to me.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm wondering if his qb follows him.
Interesting interview with him on full ride last month. Talking about his team and qbs. That was before Delora and gone into the portal. Seem to like Arizona a lot talking with Rick Neuheisel. Interesting Rick coached at Washington too. Seems like a springboard type job for a lot of these coaches to end up at a blueblood eventually. Not that Arizona isn't. I could have seen him back in Florida where he is from

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I feel like this is probably the first real look at the attractiveness of the teams that bolted for the Big Ten over the teams that bolted for the Big 12.

If both were still in the Pac-12, I don't think there's enough difference between Arizona and Washington to make a move if you're already having success in Arizona.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like this is probably the first real look at the attractiveness of the teams that bolted for the Big Ten over the teams that bolted for the Big 12.

If both were still in the Pac-12, I don't think there's enough difference between Arizona and Washington to make a move if you're already having success in Arizona.
Arizona has money problems. They didn't up his contact because they got a major deficit problem

Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fun Fact: Fisch did not play football in high school or college. From Wiki:

Fisch grew up in a Jewish family in Livingston, New Jersey and attended Hanover Park High School in nearby East Hanover Township.[2][3] Fisch did not play football at the high school or college level,[4] but instead was an all-state tennis player during his prep career.[5]

Fisch graduated from the University of Florida in 1998 with a degree in criminology.[1] He attended Florida almost solely for the opportunity to someday work for Florida head coach Steve Spurrier.[5]

Fisch was also college roommates with Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman.

Fisch embarked on a career in coaching while still in college as an undergraduate student. From 1997 to 1998, Fisch was the defensive coordinator for P. K. Yonge Developmental Research School in Gainesville, and he then spent one year (1998) with the New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League as a wide receivers/quality control coach.[6]

Fisch got his break in coaching when he was named a graduate assistant coach for the Florida Gators football team under Spurrier from 1999 to 2000. During this time, he earned his master's degree in sports management.

The thing that is fascinating to me, is how did he decide one day, in high school, that he wanted to coach? He's kinda got a Mike Leach 'different' kinda vibe going, but obviously not in the same vein as Leach. He went to the NFL for a long time before getting into college. Hard to identify his 'niche'.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Fun Fact: Fisch did not play football in high school or college. From Wiki:

Fisch grew up in a Jewish family in Livingston, New Jersey and attended Hanover Park High School in nearby East Hanover Township.[2][3] Fisch did not play football at the high school or college level,[4] but instead was an all-state tennis player during his prep career.[5]

Fisch graduated from the University of Florida in 1998 with a degree in criminology.[1] He attended Florida almost solely for the opportunity to someday work for Florida head coach Steve Spurrier.[5]

Fisch was also college roommates with Philadelphia Eagles general manager Howie Roseman.

Fisch embarked on a career in coaching while still in college as an undergraduate student. From 1997 to 1998, Fisch was the defensive coordinator for P. K. Yonge Developmental Research School in Gainesville, and he then spent one year (1998) with the New Jersey Red Dogs of the Arena Football League as a wide receivers/quality control coach.[6]

Fisch got his break in coaching when he was named a graduate assistant coach for the Florida Gators football team under Spurrier from 1999 to 2000. During this time, he earned his master's degree in sports management.

The thing that is fascinating to me, is how did he decide one day, in high school, that he wanted to coach? He's kinda got a Mike Leach 'different' kinda vibe going, but obviously not in the same vein as Leach. He went to the NFL for a long time before getting into college. Hard to identify his 'niche'.
Feels like an EA Sports or 989 product. Who hasn't been playing Madden, Head coach, or Gamebreaker with your buddies and said "I don't like getting hit, but man I'm great at playcalling and roster management!"

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Feels like an EA Sports or 989 product. Who hasn't been playing Madden, Head coach, or Gamebreaker with your buddies and said "I don't like getting hit, but man I'm great a playcalling and roster management!"
Yep and it's fascinating to me. Because that's how I picture guys like him and Leach thinking things up. I've always thought that playing and coaching were different skill sets, but damn, seems like you'd need at least minimum level of playing the game to coach it. Just to be able to convince the players to respect you.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Football is not really all that big a deal at Arizona according my bro in law who is an alum. They like basketball, baseball and softball.
I mean... they averaged 47,300 fans per home game this past season. Basketball, baseball, and softball ain't doing those numbers. Compared to other basketball, baseball, and softball programs in the world, sure, they're a huge deal, but compared to their own football team, there's no way.

I feel like that's the same thing some fans say about Mississippi State sports. "We're a baseball school." Well, sure, compared to the world at large we are, but on its best days, Mississippi State baseball draws 1/3 of the low end Mississippi State football games.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Football is not really all that big a deal at Arizona according my bro in law who is an alum. They like basketball, baseball and softball.
Maybe we should adopt what they are doing. I even see where they renovated their 1970s arena a few years ago, just like we did.

If we had concentrated on these things 40 years ago, we might have their history in basketball and baseball. Which would be cool.

I mean... they averaged 47,300 fans per home game this past season. Basketball, baseball, and softball ain't doing those numbers. Compared to other basketball, baseball, and softball programs in the world, sure, they're a huge deal, but compared to their own football team, there's no way.

I feel like that's the same thing some fans say about Mississippi State sports. "We're a baseball school." Well, sure, compared to the world at large we are, but on its best days, Mississippi State baseball draws 1/3 of the low end Mississippi State football games.
To speak to this......I don't think it's a matter of 'not caring'. It's more about a strategic use of resources in order to win championships. In other words - coaching salaries and NIL.

To me, MSU football just seems to be a complete waste of resources. Like they said on Pony Excess, some SWC teams back in the 80s were shelling out money to go 3-8 (I realize this is extreme, but you get my point), i.e. the definition of a loser.

Now, that does not mean abandon it. We just need to do something different there. Zig while others zag. Running the mainstream offense and trying to pay big money to players isn't zigging, everybody is doing that shlt and we will lose that battle. Unless some MSU alumni becomes the next Phil Knight, because we can't sit around waiting on our alumni base to double or triple in size, thus upping donations overall.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Maybe we should adopt what they are doing. I even see where they renovated their 1970s arena a few years ago, just like we did.

If we had concentrated on these things 40 years ago, we might have their history in basketball and baseball. Which would be cool.

To speak to this......I don't think it's a matter of 'not caring'. It's more about a strategic use of resources in order to win championships. In other words - coaching salaries and NIL.

To me, MSU football just seems to be a complete waste of resources. Like they said on Pony Excess, some SWC teams back in the 80s were shelling out money to go 3-8 (I realize this is extreme, but you get my point), i.e. the definition of a loser.

Now, that does not mean abandon it. We just need to do something different there. Zig while others zag. Running the mainstream offense and trying to pay big money to players isn't zigging, everybody is doing that shlt and we will lose that battle. Unless some MSU alumni becomes the next Phil Knight, because we can't sit around waiting on our alumni base to double or triple in size, thus upping donations overall.
Yes doing something different to compensate for size and financial disadvantages. Oh the mouth breathers who want to run the dang ball aren’t going to like that. Not blue collar or tough enough.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Wish we would have gotten him.
Selmon made a gamble.
every other school that had to make a hire released statements saying they are looking for coaches with head coaching experience as a trait, Except Selmon.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Selmon made a gamble.
every other school that had to make a hire released statements saying they are looking for coaches with head coaching experience as a trait, Except Selmon.
We aren’t anywhere close to as attractive a job as Washington.i seriously doubt we ever had a chance with him.

Reactions: 85Bears

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
We aren’t anywhere close to as attractive a job as Washington.i seriously doubt we ever had a chance with him.
Exactly. Have to be realistic. It’s a tough job to begin with then you have the demolition job Arnett and staff performed on top of it.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

“MSU football is a complete waste of resources” might be the most asinine statement on this board and that’s saying something. It’s the one sport that keeps our athletic department afloat, do you realize how dangerous that line of thinking is? I could maybe understand if we haven’t fielded a competitive football team in 10+ years. “Trying to zig” is what landed us Leach and partially is responsible for this hole we’re in. Hiring Leach and trying to “zig” has caused this gap from us and OM. They hired a Lane and invested in football. We hired leach and tried to get cute. It’s an awful idea. So thankful Selmon is trying to play big boy football and hiring a coach who scores and recruits with Lebby.

Take this stupid line of thinking to Auburn with Cohen. The worst AD in my lifetime, textbook overthinker who tried to make baseball #1 priority.

• Haha

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
“MSU football is a complete waste of resources” might be the most asinine statement on this board and that’s saying something. It’s the one sport that keeps our athletic department afloat, do you realize how dangerous that line of thinking is? I could maybe understand if we haven’t fielded a competitive football team in 10+ years. “Trying to zig” is what landed us Leach and partially is responsible for this hole we’re in. Hiring Leach and trying to “zig” has caused this gap from us and OM. They hired a Lane and invested in football. We hired leach and tried to get cute. It’s an awful idea. So thankful Selmon is trying to play big boy football and hiring a coach who scores and recruits with Lebby.

Take this stupid line of thinking to Auburn with Cohen. The worst AD in my lifetime, textbook overthinker who tried to make baseball #1 priority.
Yea 9-4 Leach, it’s all his fault. entire country is wrong about him, He really sucked as a coach and only you know about it. you did nail the Arnett thing though, he was great for the program. you’re batting 1000

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes doing something different to compensate for size and financial disadvantages. Oh the mouth breathers who want to run the dang ball aren’t going to like that. Not blue collar or tough enough.
They won't even get innovative when it comes to running the ball. Remember the anger when the likes of Rich Rod, Malzahn or Fritz were mentioned?

I have no idea what type of real offense Lebby runs, all I know is it's a modified something off the Briles tree. Maybe it is different and innovative. We can hope I guess, but it certainly seems like it's pretty mainstream. Either way, this hire seems more in the Mullen/Moorhead vein than the Leach/Malzahn/Fritz/RichRod one. And if that's true, it all depends on discipline and whether or not Lebby can teach the players the offense. Mullen ran it like a drill sergeant and the offense fit the players. Moorhead was everybody's friend and let's just say, to be nice, the offense, uh, didn't fit.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
They won't even get innovative when it comes to running the ball. Remember the anger when the likes of Rich Rod, Malzahn or Fritz were mentioned?

I have no idea what type of real offense Lebby runs, all I know is it's a modified something off the Briles tree. Maybe it is different and innovative. We can hope I guess, but it certainly seems like it's pretty mainstream. Either way, this hire seems more in the Mullen/Moorhead vein than the Leach/Malzahn/Fritz/RichRod one. And if that's true, it all depends on discipline and whether or not Lebby can teach the players the offense. Mullen ran it like a drill sergeant and the offense fit the players. Moorhead was everybody's friend and let's just say, to be nice, the offense, uh, didn't fit.
I think the unknown about Lebby is how he runs the program overall, it’s his first time. don’t really know. defense will need a lot of work for Lebby to go .500. Discipline, detail, culture....no idea. pairing him with a veteran DC should have been the way to go.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

You are just another blowhard who can't see the forest for the trees, but I'll humor you.

We are going to get the TV money from the SEC no matter what. So the program itself is not really "keeping the AD afloat". At least not right now. If the blue bloods leave the SEC one day and we get left out, we can talk at that time about how we can do mainstream things to compete in what then would be a much more manageable situation, where we wouldn't HAVE to innovate as much.

As far as Leach, no, his DEATH and Arnett's idiotic management decisions caused the gap between us and OM (which really isn't even that big). And I loved getting cute, it was fun going 7-5 and 8-4, and no telling what the ceiling was going to be.

And yeah, that line of thinking left with Cohen, and with a few of our fans like me who are about to abandon this train-wreck and let your ilk have it.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Yea 9-4 Leach, it’s all his fault. entire country is wrong about him, He really sucked as a coach and only you know about it. you did nail the Arnett thing though, he was great for the program. you’re batting 1000
Arnett sucked ***. No one wants him as our HC. But I can’t think of a worse coach who is ill equipped for the transfer portal/NIL era than Mike Leach.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
You are just another blowhard who can't see the forest for the trees, but I'll humor you.

We are going to get the TV money from the SEC no matter what. So the program itself is not really "keeping the AD afloat".

As far as Leach, no, his DEATH caused the gap between us and OM (which really isn't even that big). And I loved getting cute, it was fun going 7-5 and 8-4, and no telling what the ceiling was going to be.

And yeah, that line of thinking left with Cohen, and with a few of our fans like me who are about to abandon this train-wreck and let your ilk have it.
Wait, wait wait… you’re pro- John Cohen??? Holy 17 man hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thanks for humoring me

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Arnett sucked ***. No one wants him as our HC. But I can’t think of a worse coach who is ill equipped for the transfer portal/NIL era than Mike Leach.
Yeah man it sucked getting all those portal guys in 2021 and 2022. Charlton, Polk, Calvin, Green, Losoya, Matthews, Banks, Robinson, Bascardi - man those guys SUCKED!!!

17ing moron.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
leach did fine in the portal and passed away before the nil circus really got going. Your post is nonsense and rewriting history. if you want to be accurate go back and repost all of your predictions for Arnett and the offense before the season, I need a good laugh.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wait, wait wait… you’re pro- John Cohen??? Holy 17 man hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Thanks for humoring me
Absolutely. Always have been. He made some mistakes but overall he did a ton of good things. He thought differently so he was run out of town.

That stretch from him leaving, to Leach's death, to Arnett's decisions, pretty much killed my MSU football fandom. Just too many idiots overall who have too much power over it.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Absolutely. Always have been. He made some mistakes but overall he did a ton of good things. He thought differently so he was run out of town.

That stretch from him leaving, to Leach's death, to Arnett's decisions, pretty much killed my MSU football fandom. Just too many idiots overall who have too much power over it.
If that killed your fandom, then you clearly weren’t alive from 2001-2008, which makes sense I’m talking to someone in 8th grade

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the unknown about Lebby is how he runs the program overall, it’s his first time. don’t really know. defense will need a lot of work for Lebby to go .500. Discipline, detail, culture....no idea. pairing him with a veteran DC should have been the way to go.
We’re repeating our mistakes. New, inexperienced head coach hires inexperienced coordinators. And an inexperienced AD. It may all work out. But the SEC isn’t a great place for inexperienced coaches.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If that killed your fandom, then you clearly weren’t alive from 2001-2008, which makes sense I’m talking to someone in 8th grade
The 2003 year, and the hire of Croom (that anybody could see coming) nearly did it. I was very close, especially when I saw our terrible uniforms opening day of 2004.

And I'd also be lying if I didn't say that some of it this time around is due to NIL. I don't mind the portal but NIL really sucks for us.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login