Washington State transfer QB

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He is pretty good and not really. But only 10 or 12 will be winning cause the price of poker is only going up

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yep. The gap between the haves and have nots is growing. I remember when we played Alabama close. ....not anymore.

This is a good example that it Will be impossible for smaller schools to accumulate enough talent to close that gap.

Reactions: patdog and cytubb

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Amateur athletics. Big time college football coaches make more money than professional coaches in the NFL.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What if I told you a million isn’t even that much? Quinn Ewers got $1.8 million just to spend a semester at Ohio State where he redshirted. Arch Manning got almost double that amount to do the same this year at Texas. Even in the pre-NIL days, Cam’s total package at Auburn likely approached that amount….the $180k was just the down payment for the signature. Wasn’t anywhere close to the full payout.

One year of guaranteed high level play at the QB position is easily worth $1 million. Easily. Think back to the Cam example. It obviously paid off a million fold, but what if all it did was buy Auburn just one more conference win (over MSU) than it would have had otherwise? You may be talking the difference between making a bowl and not making one. Could be the difference between a $2-$3 million payout in the Liberty or MCB bowls and $4-$5 million in the Outback or Gator, or between those and $6 million in the Citrus. Could be the difference between winning the SEC West and not winning it, the difference between Top 5-10 and just Top 25, or between the CFP and no CFP. One conference win is worth a shít-17ing-ton. Other schools in our neighborhood are paying about $1.5 million per SEC win just to their head coach….not even accounting for coordinators and assistants. And those guys have nowhere close to as much impact on the result of a game than a starting quarterback.

A million for a good QB for one year is a massive bargain and a no-brainer decision. And its one that MSU damn sure better be able to make if the opportunity presents itself.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What if I told you a million isn’t even that much? Quinn Ewers got $1.8 million just to spend a semester at Ohio State where he redshirted. Arch Manning got almost double that amount to do the same this year at Texas. Even in the pre-NIL days, Cam’s total package at Auburn likely approached that amount….the $180k was just the down payment for the signature. Wasn’t anywhere close to the full payout.

One year of guaranteed high level play at the QB position is easily worth $1 million. Easily. Think back to the Cam example. It obviously paid off a million fold, but what if all it did was buy Auburn just one more conference win (over MSU) than it would have had otherwise? You may be talking the difference between making a bowl and not making one. Could be the difference between a $2-$3 million payout in the Liberty or MCB bowls and $4-$5 million in the Outback or Gator, or between those and $6 million in the Citrus. Could be the difference between winning the SEC West and not winning it, the difference between Top 5-10 and just Top 25, or between the CFP and no CFP. One conference win is worth a shít-17ing-ton. Other schools in our neighborhood are paying about $1.5 million per SEC win just to their head coach….not even accounting for coordinators and assistants. And those guys have nowhere close to as much impact on the result of a game than a starting quarterback.

A million for a good QB for one year is a massive bargain and a no-brainer decision. And its one that MSU damn sure better be able to make if the opportunity presents itself.
I could understand this if it were the school paying the $1 million. The school will reap the benefits. The people paying the collective are getting no return

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I could understand this if it were the school paying the $1 million. The school will reap the benefits. The people paying the collective are getting no return
Exactly. It’s a farce, and we fans are the butt of the joke. The schools & TV networks have played us for fools. The money the players should be getting is the TV, ticket, merchandise, & sponsorship money…not additional money ponied up by the fans.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Exactly. It’s a farce, and we fans are the butt of the joke. The schools & TV networks have played us for fools. The money the players should be getting is the TV, ticket, merchandise, & sponsorship money…not additional money ponied up by the fans.
This is the same concept as the powers that be changing the rules to “shorten the games” , only to allocate that saved time to increased television commercials. Once again the fans get screwed.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
oh no ….not this fan. 17 all of them- players, admin, espn, sec. you will never get a damn penny from me. i’ve recently learned that it will not kill you to say 17it and spend a fall saturday with your family at the beach

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
oh no ….not this fan. 17 all of them- players, admin, espn, sec. you will never get a damn penny from me. i’ve recently learned that it will not kill you to say 17it and spend a fall saturday with your family at the beach
Excuse me…I did not say 17 the players. Everyone else, ok.

Reactions: HotMop

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
As Vault remarked when he heard of Archie's first contact with the Saints, "he made more than that here."

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
They get the same return as boosters have been getting for decades…..whatever that’s worth.

$1,000,000 is 1,000 kicking in $1,000 each. Imagine how easy that is for 80% of SEC schools. And its really more like 10 people kicking in $50,000 each and the other 990 each kicking in a little over $500ish.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Obvious proof the players have been way underpaid all these years. Also rich people don't get rich by throwing money away and not getting a return on their investment. If what some say is actually happening, that is going to dry up when the investment doesn't pan out. I see no reason for buyouts and long term coaching commitments any longer. Everyone knows now, no one, coaches or players, is staying put. So keep coaches contracts at 2 or 3 years max. Don't extend coaches 5+ years any longer. Go back to multi-year scholarships to control player movement. You can probably pass that as a rule that up to 3 year scholarship can be offered and all teams agree to honor it. That would require some sort of trade to transfer if player is under scholarship.

• Sad
Reactions: JackShephard

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
How long before the NFL players look at this pitiful excuse for an organized system and say screw contracts, salary caps, etc, we demand a wide open system like the NCAA has? Any use for big stadiums all over this Country when the whole athletic system melts down? With regard to fans and alumni, there will always be some people with more money, or debt, than sense, but at some point the vast majority of the typical fans are going to find other things to do. The trend has already started and eventually the current system will kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
And this is why I refuse to pay even $1 to NIL, as much as I'd like to see us win. It's like flushing money down the toilet for us. Yes, I could afford to flush a little down the toilet, but why would I want to? Charlie and his group are pretty smart to at least start doing merch. At least then, I get SOMETHING for my money. I can live with that.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Yep. The gap between the haves and have nots is growing. I remember when we played Alabama close. ....not anymore.

This is a good example that it Will be impossible for smaller schools to accumulate enough talent to close that gap.
I said this along time ago and completely agree

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
One year of guaranteed high level play at the QB position is easily worth $1 million.
Enjoy the ride until the inflation of player salaries continues to spiral and we get priced out of the market.

Reactions: Dawg1976

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I'm almost to that point, TBH. I love my school and I love watching the teams play but the last few years have really taken the shine off for me.

Conferences and the NCAA continue to reap billions and the fans get to pony up more and more and more and its still not enough. Ugh.

Reactions: Dawg1976

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
They get the same return as boosters have been getting for decades…..whatever that’s worth.

$1,000,000 is 1,000 kicking in $1,000 each. Imagine how easy that is for 80% of SEC schools. And its really more like 10 people kicking in $50,000 each and the other 990 each kicking in a little over $500ish.
Yeah I agree there has historically been no return. At least when giving to the bulldog club you can tell yourself that you’re helping the school you’re a fan of or graduated from. I’m shocked more people have not rethought the idea of giving to the bulldog club. The school is raking in a ton of revenue and paying out unreal salaries. Meanwhile people making middle class salaries are donating money to the athletic department.

With all that said, I’m perfectly fine with players getting money. They deserve it. Perfectly fine with the school being forced to share tv money. Perfectly fine with strange brew paying a player to advertise for them.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What do you mean no return - if we all chip in a little more, we may get to see our team go 8-4 again!!

• Haha
Reactions: ronpolk

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Yeah I agree there has historically been no return. At least when giving to the bulldog club you can tell yourself that you’re helping the school you’re a fan of or graduated from. I’m shocked more people have not rethought the idea of giving to the bulldog club. The school is raking in a ton of revenue and paying out unreal salaries. Meanwhile people making middle class salaries are donating money to the athletic department.

With all that said, I’m perfectly fine with players getting money. They deserve it. Perfectly fine with the school being forced to share tv money. Perfectly fine with strange brew paying a player to advertise for them.
I think everyone is fine with the players getting paid. But they should be getting paid from the entities making money off of them!!! And that is not the fans. It is bass ackwards

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008

I guess I am naive, because I thought this was exactly what was supposed to happen: the players would be able to strike deals with local companies to advertise for them. I never thought the schools would be begging the fans to pay for this.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

i thot folks gave money to their school of choice in an effort to improve their self worth

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It's time to dig deep. Give 'till it hurts. Talk to your pastor or priest about giving a portion of your tithe to the team God wants us to see prosper. The BLESSINGS will come!

• Haha
Reactions: The Fatboy
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login