Way I see it, we're gonna have to stick w/Mike a few more seasons

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
or blow it up after this season and rid ourselves of Cohen and let the new AD put his stamp on the future for MSU football.

Either way we're gonna be unhappy w/the outcome(s).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's silly to want to fire him already. Let's be honest... the days of building a program that can win 9-11 games every couple of years with modest money is over when teams can spend a quarter of a million just for one weekend of recruiting. We've been hollering for that magical coach even when Mullen was losing to the big teams and now we have those people wishing for him back.

Actually we have been wanting to fire the present coach whoever he is for that unicorn since Bob Tyler and can't get him to actually take the job at MSU so y'all just keep on hollering.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We have Leach for at least three more years even if he doesn’t win another game. We can easily improve at AD, but we need to get away from hiring people with MSU connections or the mediocrity will just continue.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This was "his" year, let's wait and see how the season plays out. If 5-7 - which is very, very, very unlikely - we better employ the DJT philosly of '"hire slowly, but fire quickly."

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
It's silly to want to fire him already. Let's be honest... the days of building a program that can win 9-11 games every couple of years with modest money is over when teams can spend a quarter of a million just for one weekend of recruiting.

I agree that we shouldn’t fire him but I hate this woe is me attitude that our fan base has. Look at college football right now…. Ole miss won 10 games last year and honestly if Matt Coral doesn’t get hurt against Auburn they win 11. Then they were beat by BAYLOR in the sugar bowl. Arkansas is ranked 9th right now. Kentucky has put together several 10 win seasons the past couple of years. None of these programs are night and day better than ours and have around the same talent profile. We have shown we can have a competitive team in the sec. Honestly, 2018 broke our fan base mentally because had we had any sort of an offense, we win 10 games that year. We have so many fans that think we should just wave the white flag and give up on football

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
We've that woe is MSU attitude every since I was at MSU. I believe 4 years in there should be some dramatic improvements or cut bait. The problem is divorcing a program not only from coach/staff but the instituted system. Hiring Leach in the first place and rolling the dice on the AR offense was/is the issue.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree that we shouldn’t fire him but I hate this woe is me attitude that our fan base has. Look at college football right now…. Ole miss won 10 games last year and honestly if Matt Coral doesn’t get hurt against Auburn they win 11. Then they were beat by BAYLOR in the sugar bowl. Arkansas is ranked 9th right now. Kentucky has put together several 10 win seasons the past couple of years. None of these programs are night and day better than ours and have around the same talent profile. We have shown we can have a competitive team in the sec. Honestly, 2018 broke our fan base mentally because had we had any sort of an offense, we win 10 games that year. We have so many fans that think we should just wave the white flag and give up on football

I'm not ready to give up but I think that the college football world has changed so much in the past couple years and still going to go under even more changes in the next few years that we shouldn't make any knee-jerk reactions to anything. Leach may not be the guy we need here at State but was least give him a chance and then I will be the first one to sign papers to fire him when it needs to be but we need to see how this college ball situation pans out.

We never know who we might get here after the guillotines fall the next few years.

His defense is we are just now starting to play with the players (especially WRs) you need on the team to play his kind of offense and still with a piecework OL. Y'all can count the years already coached if you want to but the past few years were very different and weird as well but tell me the last time we had a WR like RaRa on the field.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I agreed with your whole post except the part where you said a program like ours can’t win 9-11 games when programs like ours are winning 9-11 games all over the country and even in our own division

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agreed with your whole post except the part where you said a program like ours can’t win 9-11 games when programs like ours are winning 9-11 games all over the country and even in our own division

Really? They do this playing teams like LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama, and Kentucky every year?

ETA: Tell me the teams at our level of football who go win against teams like that every year

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Really? They do this playing teams like LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Auburn, Alabama, and Kentucky every year?

Ole Miss went 10-2 last year in the sec west. Why are they able to do it but we can’t? Time will tell but Arkansas is currently 10th in the country and Kentucky is 8th. If those programs can have top 15 teams why can’t we? We all recruit around the same in recruiting rankings. Are those 3 programs much greater than ours?

Last edited:

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
We really have no choice than to give Leach this and next season (sans a total team rebellion and meltdown)

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mississippi won 10 vs that schedule last year. We did in 2014 & with even an average coach would have again in 2018. We’ll never consistently beat the top SEC teams, but we can damn sure be more competitive than we have been the last few years.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Mississippi won 10 vs that schedule last year. We did in 2014 & with even an average coach would have again in 2018. We’ll never consistently beat the top SEC teams, but we can damn sure be more competitive than we have been the last few years.

Do we have a quarterback that will be taken in this draft and the answer given me was there a teams all over the country that do this every year or have no problem at all doing this and I asked for one not one who can do it every once in a while like we can.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I dont think firing him this year is the best idea. It's only year three and technically year two if you take a way the Covid year. While It is disappointing that it's year 3 with a veteran team and we had issues putting up points this weekend, we have looked better so far this season and didn't look that bad for the first half. Still a lot of mistakes that are dumb and need to be worked out. Honestly, I want to see him make it to Robertson or one of the other qbs that supposedly don't have brick for feet. I've seen more runs this season which is good but maybe this is the best Will can do. He wasn't a highly recruited qb. Mike wanted him but I would be surprised if he ever started at wazzu had leach stayed. Will has made some good plays but just has some limitations that we saw last night. When the heat is on he can't escape and when he starts getting rattled the throws aren't as accurate which is what his thing is. Without that, he's a small average qb.

I wasn't big on leach to start with mainly because I don't like air raid offenses I like option and misdirected run with play action and jet sweeps and pass all mixed 50-50 or 60-40. But if anyone could bring pass to Mississippi State it was leach. So far, we have the best group of receivers we have had at msu. While they have made some bad careless plays they still catch better than what I'm used to seeing. We don't have discipline problems anymore and our players play hard. My problem so far is some dumb decisions by coaching like the going for it on our own 30 and running it right into 7 defenders. Or not being able to slide backs or even having a tightens that could max protect when lsu overloaded us just like Kentucky did to us a few years ago. We could do better for a coach but it would be hard to find.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We really have no choice than to give Leach this and next season (sans a total team rebellion and meltdown)
Agreed. Leach gets next year, barring a complete collapse (which I don’t see happening).

Imadick

Jan 18, 2009
I’m good with that! I have lost my “give a damn” with college football. It’s all about the money and transfer at will. Frankly I don’t care for pro sports and after this year I will not care about college football. I still love MSU but the football program is now dead to me!

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Do we have a quarterback that will be taken in this draft and the answer given me was there a teams all over the country that do this every year or have no problem at all doing this and I asked for one not one who can do it every once in a while like we can.

I was just rebutting your quote that said “the days of building a program that can win 9-11 games every couple of years with modest money is OVER when teams can spend a quarter of a million just for one weekend of recruiting.” The 3 programs I listed are programs we usually compete with in recruiting rankings and are not programs you’d consider one of the “big boys”. Outside the SEC, just looking at the new top 25, teams like Utah, OK State, NC State, Baylor, BYU, Pitt, and wake are not programs that spend much in recruiting and we recruit higher than. I know the level of competition is not the same but they have built programs that can win 9-11 games every couple of years

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was just rebutting your quote that said “the days of building a program that can win 9-11 games every couple of years with modest money is OVER when teams can spend a quarter of a million just for one weekend of recruiting.” The 3 programs I listed are programs we usually compete with in recruiting rankings and are not programs you’d consider one of the “big boys”. Outside the SEC, just looking at the new top 25, teams like Utah, OK State, NC State, Baylor, BYU, Pitt, and wake are not programs that spend much in recruiting and we recruit higher than. I know the level of competition is not the same but they have built programs that can win 9-11 games every couple of years

Ok. Maybe we can join one their conferences.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Ok. Maybe we can join one their conferences.

I am just providing examples of teams in our division, in the sec east, and outside the SEC who build successful programs without elite recruiting or money since you said that is a thing of the past. I just get tired of hearing so many of our fans who think we can’t be successful because we don’t have the resources when there are programs doing more than what we are with sometimes even less. Yes college football is changing but we are absolutely able to change with it and build a successful program (Ole Miss has). I just hope our leadership is able to get us there

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login