We’re at 111 Donors to the Bulldog Initiative

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
Lots of talk but no follow through. Why am I not surprised? Just look at the total number of BC members and you will understand.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
With the economy going to hell now isn't really the best time to start a fund raiser as a lot of folks, myself included, are hanging on to money and waiting to see if our economic situation is going to turn itself around. Reality sucks.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
With the economy going to hell now isn't really the best time to start a fund raiser as a lot of folks, myself included, are hanging on to money and waiting to see if our economic situation is going to turn itself around. Reality sucks.

I understand, but we can't wait. $10/month is doable for most.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Free school
Free spending money
Free food/housing
Free tutors
Free degree

17em!!!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Free school
Free spending money
Free food/housing
Free tutors
Free degree

17em!!!

I don’t disagree with the thought process. I’ve stated numerous times, I’m fine with athletes making as much money as possible but I’m not finding it for them.

CharlieWinfield

Feb 15, 2015
I agree with you. Ultimately, I do not think a program like this works unless people with significant funds contribute, and the good news is that we have been getting those type of contributions. Without a doubt, those contributions will be the largest part of our revenue for this year. Over the past few months, though, more and more people have told me that I was missing the need for a broad outreach, so we rolled up our sleeves and created the web site. In hindsight, I think both matter and are necessary. We need the big money or this won’t work. The numbers just aren’t there. On the other hand, because a number of those who have signed up (good news - that number has gone up since lunch) have gone well beyond the minimum, this part is also going to matter and has the potential to really help.

It’s easy to get discouraged - Lord knows, I often do, but I think things are trending better than that number might indicate. That being said, if it all falls apart and the inevitable “we should have never trusted a 17 monotone announcer” comments make their way back again, I will at least have the clear conscience of knowing I have done every 17 think I could to try to make it work.

As I said before - I hold *zero* frustration with somebody who does not like this and does not want to participate, and I know many are tired of hearing me talk about it. One last plug for participation, though, if somebody’s objection is that they already get enough - Consider doing something for baseball. On average, our players get 42% of a scholarship. I would at least like to see us get enough to even us up with Vanderbilt and make the part about free school true for them.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I agree with you. Ultimately, I do not think a program like this works unless people with significant funds contribute, and the good news is that we have been getting those type of contributions. Without a doubt, those contributions will be the largest part of our revenue for this year. Over the past few months, though, more and more people have told me that I was missing the need for a broad outreach, so we rolled up our sleeves and created the web site. In hindsight, I think both matter and are necessary. We need the big money or this won’t work. The numbers just aren’t there. On the other hand, because a number of those who have signed up (good news - that number has gone up since lunch) have gone well beyond the minimum, this part is also going to matter and has the potential to really help.

It’s easy to get discouraged - Lord knows, I often do, but I think things are trending better than that number might indicate. That being said, if it all falls apart and the inevitable “we should have never trusted a 17 monotone announcer” comments make their way back again, I will at least have the clear conscience of knowing I have done every 17 think I could to try to make it work.

As I said before - I hold *zero* frustration with somebody who does not like this and does not want to participate, and I know many are tired of hearing me talk about it. One last plug for participation, though, if your objection is that they already get enough - Consider doing something for baseball. On average, our players get 42% of a scholarship. I would at least like to see us get enough to even us up with Vanderbilt and make the part about free school true for them.
Don't worry. The pulse of this board is WAY over the top negative at the moment. Too many late 30-years and over 40s having an identity crises I guess. I mean ronpolk has posted like 8 times that "such and such will never happen". We get it.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

As I said before - I hold *zero* frustration with somebody who does not like this and does not want to participate, and I know many are tired of hearing me talk about it. One last plug for participation, though, if somebody’s objection is that they already get enough - Consider doing something for baseball. On average, our players get 42% of a scholarship. I would at least like to see us get enough to even us up with Vanderbilt and make the part about free school true for them.

You’re doing great work. I hope you don’t take me being negative on the direction of NIL as being negative to what you’re doing. At a school like MS State it’s going to take all hands on deck. My response was more to someone thinking we’d have thousands signed up to give by now.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m 37 and didn’t think I was having an identity crisis but last night I cancelled my BJJ membership and signed up for a damn pickleball gym, and that’s hitting me hard

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I can't remember the Economy being this bad except when I was a teenager in the late 70's to early 80's. Some folks like to act like Reagan just stepped in and magically fixed things. It took a couple of years to turn things around with the right things happening and I'm afraid it will again, IF it can. I'm no economics man but the pandemic and other factors I won't start a **** show over will require BOTH sides of congress to fix. Good luck on getting that to happen soon.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The way I see it is, with no rules or any real limitations on transfers, why should I spend my money on a bunch of players who are likely to hold out or transfer out next year for a better deal? Even if we did have a sensible system in place, we couldn't begin to compete with 12 of the other 15 schools in the conference anyway.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I can't remember the Economy being this bad except when I was a teenager in the late 70's to early 80's. Some folks like to act like Reagan just stepped in and magically fixed things. It took a couple of years to turn things around with the right things happening and I'm afraid it will again, IF it can. I'm no economics man but the pandemic and other factors I won't start a **** show over will require BOTH sides of congress to fix. Good luck on getting that to happen soon.

You think the current economy is worse than 2008-2009?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Don't worry. The pulse of this board is WAY over the top negative at the moment. Too many late 30-years and over 40s having an identity crises I guess. I mean ronpolk has posted like 8 times that "such and such will never happen". We get it.

Too many factors and it just started. Things new and different like this take time to let people get used to the idea especially until they know more about it and all it encompasses.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
1979. Inflation was over 11% last month and it's more than just gas prices being high.

I was born in 1986, so have no experience with late 70’s. I can clearly see we are on that path and maybe 79 was worse than 2008-2009 but right now is definitely not worse than 2008. Most people who want jobs still have jobs. That definitely was not the case in 2008. But I think I agree with your point that we are headed for something bad.

Jun 4, 2007
The way I see it is, with no rules or any real limitations on transfers, why should I spend my money on a bunch of players who are likely to hold out or transfer out next year for a better deal? Even if we did have a sensible system in place, we couldn't begin to compete with 12 of the other 15 schools in the conference anyway.

That’s where I am. I’d like to contribute to baseball because of the disproportionate amount of aid they get, but the transfer rules are out of control. I don’t want to financially contribute to the one and done hired gun system that we are seeing now.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
The best thing that could happen is for A&M to win the next 3 championships basically uncontested. Upset the old guard is the only way to restore some rules. You asked for the Arab spring…..you got it now!!

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
With the economy going to hell now isn't really the best time to start a fund raiser as a lot of folks, myself included, are hanging on to money and waiting to see if our economic situation is going to turn itself around. Sleepy Joe sucks.

Fixed

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Free school
Free spending money
Free food/housing
Free tutors
Free degree

17em!!!

Yep. When many of us have kids that have good grades, are good citizens but don’t have 32s on the ACT and won’t get a dime from MSU or anywhere else, 17 these entitled 17ers looking for thousands and MILLIONS to be handed to them

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020

We just joined, thank you Charlie.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
You think the current economy is worse than 2008-2009?
Not yet but it is trending that way. One of the primary factors in 2008 was due to lenders being required to loan money to people to buy housing that had neither the means of the desire to pay the money back. It was a pretty quick fix that basically kicked the can down the road. What we are now could get a lot worse for a much longer period time.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Guys. $25 dollars per month. The economy has nothing to do with that.

If 10K people give $25 a month, that’s $3 mil a year of expected revenue that we can budget out to players. That’s a huge advantage her.

Just $25. We all can do this.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
I’m afraid that we’ll have to lose a good player on our team for people to wake up on this.

was21

May 29, 2007
Clemson got it done with IPTAY...I pay ten a year. But that was before inflation.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Or is it called being smart by making money off yourself? No offense but those kids aren’t making their respective universities hundreds of millions of dollars, it’s just a fact and it’s capitalism.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I was born in 1986, so have no experience with late 70’s. I can clearly see we are on that path and maybe 79 was worse than 2008-2009 but right now is definitely not worse than 2008. Most people who want jobs still have jobs. That definitely was not the case in 2008. But I think I agree with your point that we are headed for something bad.

I graduated HS in 85, likely one of the best three year periods of our civilization was 84/85/86, the biggest stain in the time period was AIDS. Most people didn't make _hit for money, but there wasn't rampant materialism, so there wasn't near as much to spend money on. People were so much happier, just doing nothing was a common activity. Cable TV hadn't yet rotted everyone's brain and the 24 news cycle (the beginning of the end) had not yet invaded our psyche.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login