We all knew how important the Vandy game was

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Now we are in a do or die situation with Florida. Either we win that game and move into the NCAA tournament or admit defeat, tuck tail and head to the NIT. We either make Florida Gators dawg meat or they chomp our butts and send us off to the lower echelons of basketball.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I don't think it's that dramatic. Just not that many bid stealers this year. I think this is what we are looking at:

Win vs. Florida - Remain on the fence between Dayton games and a 10 seed.
Win vs. Florida and Alabama - See you Thursday or Friday.
Lose vs. Florida - Headed to Dayton on Wednesday or Thursday

We scheduled well enough this year. It could have been better (See West Virginia going 7-11 in conference and being a lock), but it was much better than years past when we have sweated the bubble.

A&M-CC is playing for a bid tonight.
Akron is the 3 seed in the MAC and has a good shot to get a bid.
Marquette won the Big East and will be a 2 or 3 seed.
Utah was a middle of the pack Pac 12 team
Drake won the MVC and will be a 12 or 13 seed.
TCU is an NCAA lock.

Reactions: bullygrowl

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't think it's that dramatic. Just not that many bid stealers this year. I think this is what we are looking at:

Win vs. Florida - Remain on the fence between Dayton games and a 10 seed.
Win vs. Florida and Alabama - See you Thursday or Friday.
Lose vs. Florida - Headed to Dayton on Wednesday or Thursday
Whether Ranch's prediction is right or wrong, I agree with him. With what is on the line, I think we need to prove we are ready for prime time and a loss tomorrow based on who we're playing would be quite telling. Regardless of what happens, I'll be proud and satisfied with what Jans and the players accomplished this year.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Now we are in a do or die situation with Florida. Either we win that game and move into the NCAA tournament or admit defeat, tuck tail and head to the NIT. We either make Florida Gators dawg meat or they chomp our butts and send us off to the lower echelons of basketball.
Yeah, and as much as we needed that Vandy game, I can’t hold anything against the team for losing a close game on the road to a red hot, fireball shooting team

On the flip side, if we can’t find a way to knock off this Florida team on a neutral court with our postseason chances hanging in the balance, I won’t have much to say. They’re not a terrible team by any stretch, but we just have to win this game

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
To do so, we'll have to stop Will Richard and Riley Kugel. They are both blistering hot and will wreak havoc on us if our guards don't stay in their grille.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
To do so, we'll have to stop Will Richard and Riley Kugel. They are both blistering hot and will wreak havoc on us if our guards don't stay in their grille.
We need to show Kugel what he missed by not coming to MSU

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I look at it this way:

Beat Florida - should be in, and I’ll feel like it would take a screw job to justify us not being in, or a bunch of totally off the wall conference tourney winners

Lose to Florida - might still get in, but don’t have much room to complain if we are left out

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We need to show Kugel what he missed by not coming to MSU
Did he commit to us? I had heard his name mentioned in recruiting under Howland, but he was a Florida high school player and I thought he just stayed home with the home team. Then again, Korey McCray is now at UF and he was one of Howland's top notch recruiters. Could have been some input there.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Did he commit to us? I had heard his name mentioned in recruiting by Howland, but he was a Florida high school player and I thought he just stayed home with the home team. Then again, Korey McCray is now at UF and he was one of Howland's top notch recruiters. Could have been some input there.
He signed with us then asked for his release when we let Howland go.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
He signed with us then asked for his release when we let Howland go.
He actually signed huh, I didn't know he even officially committed. I had read a story on Genespage about his recruitment and then never followed up assuming like most good highs school players deciding to just stay home. We certainly could have used him. He's a big guard with great shooting ability and slashes well to the basket. Would think he would have done well under Jans.

bullygrowl

Sep 29, 2022
I've made several posts about it over the past couple weeks. Nothing has changed. We are in and 615dawg is correct in his post. We are playing for seeding in SEC tournament. We are already in. The difference this year compared to other bubble years is the out of conference quad 1 wins. Marquette and TCU wins are huge for our resume. I want to win the UF game just to make sure we aren't a play in game. Otherwise, we are dancing regardless.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I've made several posts about it over the past couple weeks. Nothing has changed. We are in and 615dawg is correct in his post. We are playing for seeding in SEC tournament. We are already in. The difference this year compared to other bubble years is the out of conference quad 1 wins. Marquette and TCU wins are huge for our resume. I want to win the UF game just to make sure we aren't a play in game. Otherwise, we are dancing regardless.
I think you're right. But beating Florida would allow for a lot less selection day anxiety.

Oct 2, 2022
The SEC execs have already decided who will win the MSU vs UF game, they are going to let the refs know tonight.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login