We are officially on Lunardi's radar

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Everyone good with a 7 seed? Taking on Va Tech in the first round with a chance to play Baylor in the second round? Damn that's fun to talk about, even if it's just November.

If you really want to get woolly, go here and see us a 2 seed (based on the season results so far).
1669733915901.png

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
I was looking at Ole Miss and Southern Miss for our seed.
#Media_Mixup

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Impossible. I was told I was being completely unrealistic when I mentioned we could get a tournament invite this year.
I'm trying to temper my expectations. Our team plays really hard. We could wear down or have some injuries. Plus, while we've played some solid teams, playing solid to good teams consistently in conference play is going to be a bigger challenge.

But hard not to get excited.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

Everyone good with a 7 seed? Taking on Va Tech in the first round with a chance to play Baylor in the second round? Damn that's fun to talk about, even if it's just November.

If you really want to get woolly, go here and see us a 2 seed (based on the season results so far).
View attachment 270577
Not to get too technical, but I believe we were in his last projections a week ago as a 10 seed.

And yes, this is wonderful to talk about. Would be really nice to have landed Mosley to have someone capable of scoring, but I really enjoy watching this team get after it on D.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Impossible. I was told I was being completely unrealistic when I mentioned we could get a tournament invite this year.
March is a long way away. I'd love to stay in the mix and eventually get in but I still think it's a steep uphill climb.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Is it unreasonable to think that with this kind of defense, learning to transition from defense to offense and find a shooting rhythm just takes some time get used to? I find it highly unlikely that we have a team full of guys who are in the SEC but can't shoot. I'm looking for offensive hope here...

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Is it unreasonable to think that with this kind of defense, learning to transition from defense to offense and find a shooting rhythm just takes some time get used to? I find it highly unlikely that we have a team full of guys who are in the SEC but can't shoot. I'm looking for offensive hope here...
Good take. I think that has a lot to do with it. At least with the group of guys we currently have.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

View attachment 270577
We might eventually wind up in the same spot we were in before but the issue is how you get there. With Howland we were chronic underperformers and that was a fan interest killer. Overperforming tends to get people on board.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I know this doesn't fit the negative nelly narrative, but D Davis hit 6 3's in one of the games last week, and he didn't play last night. I mean, since we're looking for hope...

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Its a different team from last season, but its still half the same guys and we were awful at shooting last year too.
Last season-
- 196th in PPG as a team.
- 29.5% from deep which was 344th.
- 51.7% from inside the arc which was 114th.
- 72.1% from the line which was 160th.
- IN CONFERENCE 3pt FG- 23.7% from deep.

^ Thats pretty abysmal.

So far this season, against weak competition and a couple of decent teams-
- 266th in PPG as a team.
- 29.9% from deep which is 293rd.
- 49.3% from inside the arc which is 230th.
- 61.3% from the line which is 341st.

^ Thats even worse than last year.

Its only 7 games in so maybe the team will magically improve. I sure hope so as I get to go to a couple games this season and really want to stay excited thru the season.
The numbers so far though dont give me confidence. This is against 5 unimpressive teams and a couple decent teams- we are less effective than even last season. The real concern is that its not like we are taking bad 3pt shots and missing. Almost all the 3pt shots we are taking are in rhythm, most are wide open, and very few are off the dribble.
If a couple of perimeter players can become outside concerns, it will really open the paint for Tolu, which would be awesome.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I'd be happy if Jans gets us a 16 seed. Just getting in is a job well done. I think however we have a lot of work to do in SEC play. Got to get those outside shots to fall more consistently and hit a good FT %.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Its a different team from last season, but its still half the same guys and we were awful at shooting last year too.
Last season-
- 196th in PPG as a team.
- 29.5% from deep which was 344th.
- 51.7% from inside the arc which was 114th.
- 72.1% from the line which was 160th.
- IN CONFERENCE 3pt FG- 23.7% from deep.

^ Thats pretty abysmal.

So far this season, against weak competition and a couple of decent teams-
- 266th in PPG as a team.
- 29.9% from deep which is 293rd.
- 49.3% from inside the arc which is 230th.
- 61.3% from the line which is 341st.

^ Thats even worse than last year.

Its only 7 games in so maybe the team will magically improve. I sure hope so as I get to go to a couple games this season and really want to stay excited thru the season.
The numbers so far though dont give me confidence. This is against 5 unimpressive teams and a couple decent teams- we are less effective than even last season. The real concern is that its not like we are taking bad 3pt shots and missing. Almost all the 3pt shots we are taking are in rhythm, most are wide open, and very few are off the dribble.
If a couple of perimeter players can become outside concerns, it will really open the paint for Tolu, which would be awesome.
This is not providing the hope that I was looking for.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I would imagine our defensive focus and intensity is impacting our scoring, but the shots will start going down as guys start to get into their groove this season. It appears there are no lights-out shooters on the team, but I bet we get better overall.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Just speculating, but I think the majority of the focus during the preseason has been placed on defense just to set the level of expectation Jans wants on that side of the ball. Without the defensive intensity we've shown to date, Akron, Marquette, and Utah all are probable losses. And yes I know if we lost to Marquette, we wouldn't have played Utah, but you know what I mean.

I tend to agree with you. I expect to see an improvement in offensive efficiency as the season progresses.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is not providing the hope that I was looking for.
The biggest thing they can do is let the defense create the offense and do a better job in transition. You saw this some last night when they got a few steals and got the ball out ahead for easy points.

They’ve also missed a ton of easy ones around the basket.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login