We Gotta Get Some Big Uglies In

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's a big hill to climb. We are at rock bottom in the SEC. Even Vandy has as good as big uglies as we do. Only way Lebby can get us there is the Portal. Hope he is very good at Portaling.
Yeah. It’s definitely a big ask but if we have to have a competitive Offensive Line since we compete in the SEC…

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Does anybody hear know how good Clements is as an OL coach ? My guess is that will be our guy. Lebbys best fran. He is at NC now. I will be blown away if we get Durkin for DC and Murray for RB/OC. Maybe Joe Jon for TE/OC.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
That's a big hill to climb. We are at rock bottom in the SEC. Even Vandy has as good as big uglies as we do. Only way Lebby can get us there is the Portal. Hope he is very good at Portaling.
If we can get one excellent LT and LG with the rest of the line being serviceable I think we will do well on offense. It is a big hill to climb. OL and DL players are the most important recruits for the high dollar teams so the competition is fierce. Recruiting OL/DL players determines your season record IMHO.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Got to have em on BOTH sides of the ball! Got to have DT's that can set the edge. We've put some in the NFL, so let's bring some more in!

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
need to somehow pull Joyner from OM. Make him Co-DC and pay him. He's elite coaching DL and ELITE recruiter

Ddog

May 24, 2023
Lebby understands the need for big uglies because he is one! That is meant as a compliment. He was an O lineman and a back injury held him back. I just hope he finds a few of those good big uglies In the portal.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
You’ve got the right idea but I’ll be happy with Top Half of the SEC in 2024.

#isTop3evenfeasibleinayeariDoNotThinkSo
We were Top 3 in 2022 and bring back a good bit of that OL. Maybe with actual coaching, they will get back to where they were.

We do need at least 2 though in the portal or JUCO

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Does anybody hear know how good Clements is as an OL coach ? My guess is that will be our guy. Lebbys best fran. He is at NC now. I will be blown away if we get Durkin for DC and Murray for RB/OC. Maybe Joe Jon for TE/OC.
New version of the country club?
I kid. But I always laughed at that with Mullen. Leach has his guys too. Any coach will. They will have their group of trusted guys they will bring and try to help install culture and system. You want that

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
QB is the top priority. You cant win football games in this conference without a legit QB. Then you go get the big boys. Both are extremely important no doubt, but you have zero shot at success without a legit QB
We need an overhaul at qb and OL

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We were Top 3 in 2022 and bring back a good bit of that OL. Maybe with actual coaching, they will get back to where they were.

We do need at least 2 though in the portal or JUCO
Portal will be the best bet short-term.

The Jucos ain’t what they used to be and it’s not a great o-lineman year this go around— only two in On3’s Top 20…

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We are losing all 5 linemen (except maybe Losoya). We won't be good there next year.
I think Percy Lewis played a lot as well, he may can come back for another year like Losoya. Be nice if those two come back just so it's not a complete rebuild. Reese has played some as well but no much. Definitely losing most of our OL experience regardless.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Portal will be the best bet short-term.

The Jucos ain’t what they used to be and it’s not a great o-lineman year this go around— only two in On3’s Top 20…
I still don't think this is completely true. Sure, there may not be the Montez Sweats and Jonathan Abrams that transfer in from D1 programs, but there's still plenty of Denico Autrys, Chris Whites and Vick Ballards, who don't blossom until after HS.

Reactions: Juice/

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
First order of business is to fire/not retain the 2 tards coaching this group this season. What a horrible job. We can start 5 freshman next season and not be as bad as we were this year with all those seniors.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I still don't think this is completely true. Sure, there may not be the Montez Sweats and Jonathan Abrams that transfer in from D1 programs, but there's still plenty of Denico Autrys, Chris Whites and Vick Ballards, who don't blossom until after HS.
Yeah… I’m looking at the Top 10 OL prospects according to On3 and none of them are getting nibbles from State and one is from Oktibbeha County (Karsten Upchurch who plays for Scooba).

Looks like it’ll be the Portal and High Schoolers this year…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah… I’m looking at the Top 10 OL prospects according to On3 and none of them are getting nibbles from State and one is from Oktibbeha County (Karsten Upchurch who plays for Scooba).

Looks like it’ll be the Portal and High Schoolers this year…
JUCOs nowadays is definitely sort of a development proposal. Only reason I still advocate for them is because they are right here in MS, and there are so many high schoolers that develop late in this state.

So yeah, when it comes to next season short term, JUCOs that aren't already on the roster likely won't help. But we don't need to abandon them long term.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
QB is the top priority. You cant win football games in this conference without a legit QB. Then you go get the big boys. Both are extremely important no doubt, but you have zero shot at success without a legit QB
I guess that means Rogers was a legit QB under Leach, then?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We can mask a lot of OL issues with our tempo. And I expect us to be fast.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login