We knew it was coming but the SEC schedule announcement still shocked...

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
So how many weeks is Napier going to last?
Billy probably has to get to 8-4 next year to survive, so it is probably a countdown to his 5th loss. That schedule is manageable early, but if they lose 2 of Miami, A & M, MSU, Tennessee, & Kentucky - it is over because they finish with Georgia, @ Texas, LSU, Ole Miss, & at Florida State. He has to be 6-1 after the Kentucky game.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Definitely looks like college football as we knew and loved it is almost dead. Seems like the 12 team playoff will have to see additional expansion and once that net widens it becomes more similar to the NFL where teams are not battling every week for a playoff spot but home field advantage and/or a bye. An upset over a top 10 team loses value for the 2nd class teams and every week is no longer a must win for the 1st class. I can see it creating an additional drag on in person attendance for the smaller market teams where fans have to travel to attend home games etc. I guess that’s about all the sunshine and cheer I’ve got to hand out this Friday morning…..but good article.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Definitely looks like college football as we knew and loved it is almost dead. Seems like the 12 team playoff will have to see additional expansion and once that net widens it becomes more similar to the NFL where teams are not battling every week for a playoff spot but home field advantage and/or a bye. An upset over a top 10 team loses value for the 2nd class teams and every week is no longer a must win for the 1st class. I can see it creating an additional drag on in person attendance for the smaller market teams where fans have to travel to attend home games etc. I guess that’s about all the sunshine and cheer I’ve got to hand out this Friday morning…..but good article.
There won't be a drop in attendance for "smaller market teams" if anything they'll have more hope than ever to have a chance at playing for a national championship. People that "hate the new college football" will still watch just like when we switched to a 4 team playoff. College Football as a sport is at the highest it has ever been, both attendance and viewership. If you don't like it, stop watching. The rest of us will happily watch 11 playoff games

Reactions: kired

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think the 12 team playoff definitely gives a new dimension to college football. Something to play for, if you will..., for lesser schools.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the transfer portal. Something I didn't expect is happening this year, former 5 stars transferring out of the big schools, although there is more volatility with rosters, this may help some schools close the gap, like the 8-12 seeds.

However my bet is that the talent difference between the top 1-4 seeds will be miles ahead of the talent of the 8-12 and especially the 13 and greater. We shall see.

Our question is, can State attract enough talent to be a playoff contender or will we be out paced by richer middle of the pack P5 schools. I am watching this signing season and playoff season with great Interest.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think the 12 team playoff definitely gives a new dimension to college football. Something to play for, if you will..., for lesser schools.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the transfer portal. Something I didn't expect is happening this year, former 5 stars transferring out of the big schools, although there is more volatility with rosters, this may help some schools close the gap, like the 8-12 seeds.

However my bet is that the talent difference between the top 1-4 seeds will be miles ahead of the talent of the 8-12 and especially the 13 and greater. We shall see.

Our question is, can State attract enough talent to be a playoff contender or will we be out paced by richer middle of the pack P5 schools. I am watching this signing season and playoff season with great Interest.
The keys to success IMO for teams in our position are 1) Coaching 2) Evaluating portal talent. Both are a hell of a lot easier to talk about than do but our avenues (with our resources) to succeed in this current environment are limited. Hopefully we can develop an identity similar to that under-the-radar school that shows up in the basketball tournament every year . Not that talented but relentless, tough, disciplined and very well coach. It can be done.

Reactions: Maroon13

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Oklahoma has lost their OC, their entire OL and their starting QB. It will be a rebuilding year for them on the offensive side of the ball.

Great article!

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
I used to agonize over choosing to watch football or go deer hunting. I don't hunt any more, so I guess I'll just go sit in the woods and cry.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login