We might catch a break with Mark Konradi

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Met Mark Konradi the new Executive Editor of the Clarion Ledger tonight
and he said that under his watch bias toward the Big 3 Mississippi schools will be eliminated. Mark is from Dallas, TX and his father is European so Mark has no dog in this hunt between the schools. He seems like a straight shooter and a professional journalist. It would be great to have a CL that treated each school without bias and with a fair shake.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
What effect would that have? Certainly TSUN has been a bit of a national media darling for years and that isn’t necessarily tied to wins in the last few decades. Johnny Reb’s best wins are against Bama and a blowout over Oklahoma State a few years ago. None of those successes have been sustained. The wins over Bama and access bowl placements are great but does CL bias affect national perception as well?

Last edited:

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Haven’t actually purchased a CL since Emory was our coach in the 1980’s and to this day refuse to allow anyone to bring one into my home. I will celebrate the day they go out of business. Very interesting marketing strategy where you intentionally alienate over half of your potential ustomers.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Mark Konradi will soon learn that the bias thrown our way in the last 2 decades didn't come from the past editors, it came from pay grades above theirs just like his marching orders will. I was a huge fan of CL from 70's through '85, couldn't wait to get a Sunday one every week and read it cover to cover. Now, I will not give them the satisfaction of even a click on any of their social media attempts. They are withering on the vine and its only a matter of time before that pitiful arse paper in that dead arse town is pronounced dead too

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Mark Konradi will soon learn that the bias thrown our way in the last 2 decades didn't come from the past editors, it came from pay grades above theirs just like his marching orders will. I was a huge fan of CL from 70's through '85, couldn't wait to get a Sunday one every week and read it cover to cover. Now, I will not give them the satisfaction of even a click on any of their social media attempts. They are withering on the vine and its only a matter of time before that pitiful arse paper in that dead arse town is pronounced dead too
Surely there isn't still a bias now that the clarion ledge is corporately owned? I assumed that was just remaining bias from their staff and incompetence/indifference from corporate?

I think Konradi's problem is that he's not going to be able to pay to get decent staff. He can threaten employees about being unprofessional and biased, but how credible can that threat be at this point? The next step for anybody leaving the current clarion ledge is out of the newspaper industry period. They probably mostly think about making that move everyday anyway. Are people that get axed from more prominent papers going to take a job with the CLarion Ledger? Or are they just going to accept there's not a place for them in newspapers? I would assume anybody that's more than a few years from retirement will just try a new industry.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Surely there isn't still a bias now that the clarion ledge is still corporately owned? I assumed that was just remaining bias from their staff and incompetence/indifference from corporate?

I think Konradi's problem is that he's not going to be able to pay to get decent staff. He can threaten employees about being unprofessional and biased, but how credible can that threat be at this point? The next step for anybody leaving the current clarion ledge is out of the newspaper industry period. They probably mostly think about making that move everyday anyway. Are people that get axed from more prominent papers going to take a job with the CLarion Ledger? Or are they just going to accept there's not a place for them in newspapers? I would assume anybody that's more than a few years from retirement will just try a new industry.
Did you forget the headlines created in Nashville for instance?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Did you forget the headlines created in Nashville for instance?
I don't believe their ******** about that. Even if those were created in Nashville, I doubt that's bias as much as idiocy. Good employees in Mississippi would stop ignorance in Nashville from trashing their brand and offending customers here.

crackerjax

Aug 24, 2012
Surely there isn't still a bias now that the clarion ledge is corporately owned? I assumed that was just remaining bias from their staff and incompetence/indifference from corporate?

This is the issue now. The only people the Clarion-Ledger can get to come work there are inexperienced kids right out of college, often from other places. You no longer have veteran journalists or editors running the show like you had 20+ years ago. And you no longer have people with Mississippi roots there to provide local perspective. It’s really sad how far the CL has fallen.

was21

May 29, 2007
This is the issue now. The only people the Clarion-Ledger can get to come work there are inexperienced kids right out of college, often from other places. You no longer have veteran journalists or editors running the show like you had 20+ years ago. And you no longer have people with Mississippi roots there to provide local perspective. It’s really sad how far the CL has fallen.
Probably true of the newspaper industry in general for middling America

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login