We need to make our move

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
We can’t wait around for the NIT. There are schools already starting and we can’t get behind. I realize that respect for Howland is important, but so is the future of the program. Unless we have something “unofficially” locked up, we need to act. Just my opinion.

MsuDog1332

Mar 5, 2022
Well everyone knows that they are. But if our guy is officially out, it makes things easier for everyone I would think. I’m sure many other schools targets are also still playing.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Agreed. The dominos will fall fast and furious past us once again if we don't get a move on.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
We “hired” Ben Howland while Rick Ray was still our coach. If we have decided to move on from Howland, then letting him coach out the NIT isn’t going to slow down us hiring a new coach.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
It’s possible that we already have a deal in place with the next coach. AD’s request permission to speak with other schools’ coaches all the time. Most of the time, permission is granted. If not, I feel fairly certain that deals are made even without permission if a coach is interested in an upcoming vacancy. It’s easy enough to keep those things confidential. I would honestly be shocked if Cohen hasn’t already had some type of contact with the guy who will be our next head coach. It’s also pretty likely that Howland’s departure has already been planned and agreed to by both parties. Not a matter of when, and not if.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'm not saying we should have already split ways with Howland but if we weren't already putting out feelers before this season even started...we've been dragging our feet.

patdog

May 28, 2007
About the permission thing. Saw a story a few years ago where AD from a major program called the new inexperienced AD at a mid tier program asking for permission to talk to the new coach he had just hired. He declined. The big school AD said, you don’t understand. I’m interviewing your coach. This is just a courtesy call.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Doesn't matter if we hire now or later.

The 3rd guy down Oregon State's bench or whatever, will still be waiting for us.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Does anyone really trust John Cohen in any process? Whether it be now or later? I don't.
But people here that know more say we're going to make a hire and it not go down like the women's job.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Does anyone really trust John Cohen in any process? Whether it be now or later? I don't.
But people here that know more say we're going to make a hire and it not go down like the women's job.
This will be Cohen’s first hire for MBB.. his first hire for Baseball, Football and WBB were all cluster17’s. His 2nd hire for Baseball turned out to be good to win a NC. The jury is still out on Football. Purcell looks to be a good hire, even though he wasn’t Cohens primary target but we will see.
Cohen has done pretty good on the non revenue sports Volleyball, Soccer, Tennis, Golf appear to be in good shape with coaches. Fastpitch is TBD as it is not doing as well as expected this season but did beat Florida yesterday. They have series coming up with Ole Miss and USM to see how they stack up within Mississippi.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login