We seem to be in a season of second chances

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
It's a helluva fall from "candidate for Ole Miss opening" to "candidate for McNeese opening" over the course of about two weeks.
McNeese is the more typical path for bounce back coaches like Wade.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's a helluva fall from "candidate for Ole Miss opening" to "candidate for McNeese opening" over the course of about two weeks.
Rebel friend of mine says Beard was in Oxford a couple of days ago. If true, I would think he's got the job if he wants it. Same friend thinks he may be waiting for Texas Tech to fire their coach.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Why is anyone considering Wade right now? The possible show cause should keep everyone away.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
McNeese is the more typical path for bounce back coaches like Wade.
I agree with you. So many of the rebel fans over on the spirit were pushing for him, which is comical.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Rebel friend of mine says Beard was in Oxford a couple of days ago. If true, I would think he's got the job if he wants it. Same friend thinks he may be waiting for Texas Tech to fire their coach.
I still think they end up with Dusty May, who would be a good hire for them. I would be surprised if they hired Beard, but hey, I've been surprised before. It wouldn't be a good look, though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I still think they end up with Dusty May, who would be a good hire for them. I would be surprised if they hired Beard, but hey, I've been surprised before. It wouldn't be a good look, though.
It would be a terrible look for them. Supposedly the wife had bruises and cuts on her face. As good a coach as he is, I would be pissed if we hired him. Honestly, if I were them I would hire Will Wade. Yeah, he's sleazy as hell, but really most of what he did can be structured to be done legally now.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It would be a terrible look for them. Supposedly the wife had bruises and cuts on her face. As good a coach as he is, I would be pissed if we hired him. Honestly, if I were them I would hire Will Wade. Yeah, he's sleazy as hell, but really most of what he did can be structured to be done legally now.
We would never hire Beard at State. We are too FAMILY oriented to hire a wife beater.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Maybe Wade will learn to not use his own bank account to pay players. Do it like Bama and just start a whole damn bank

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would want to know whether there was any hint of this in prior relationships and whether he's still with her. IF they've separated and there isn't any prior girlfriend or spouse that has a bad thing to say about him, I'd probably be ok with rolling the dice.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would want to know whether there was any hint of this in prior relationships and whether he's still with her. IF they've separated and there isn't any prior girlfriend or spouse that has a bad thing to say about him, I'd probably be ok with rolling the dice.
I'm gonna say no. I know she recanted and their story is that he was acting in self-defense. But abused women do that all the time (see the Gabby Pertito case where she apologized to the police officer for starting the altercation).
Police said in the docs they observed visible teeth marks and redness on Randi's right forearm and an abrasion on her right eyebrow and leg. They also noted a cut to her left thumb.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm gonna say no. I know she recanted and their story is that he was acting in self-defense. But abused women do that all the time (see the Gabby Pertito case where she apologized to the police officer for starting the altercation).
So do abusive women. Again, if there is no hint of it with anybody else, and he's not still with her, it's worth rolling the dice. If he has any issues, you fire him. Certainly not costless to the program if that happens, but you haven't done anything to hurt anybody else. Some woman is presumably going to be with him regardless of where he is, so it's not like you're increasing any risk by hiring him.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So do abusive women. Again, if there is no hint of it with anybody else, and he's not still with her, it's worth rolling the dice. If he has any issues, you fire him. Certainly not costless to the program if that happens, but you haven't done anything to hurt anybody else. Some woman is presumably going to be with him regardless of where he is, so it's not like you're increasing any risk by hiring him.
At the risk of sounding like glfr, where do you draw the line on this? What transgressions would you be willing to live with from your coach if it only happened once or there's no hint of it not happening before? I mean, a credible domestic violence charge is a pretty big transgression to look the other way over.

And it's not surprising that she dropped the charges when it was made aware to her that it's in her best interest financially to do so.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Signs of injuries on her body, no known signs of any injury on his body, and your story is she's the abuser. Yes, there are abusive women out there, but the signs in this case aren't pointing that way.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm glad we're just discussing this but not actually doing it. Once you ever take the step of putting a ** coach associated with your program it will never not be a part of your program no matter how good a career the coach may have. It's always gonna have an ** beside it. I'm probably in the minority, but when it comes to domestic violence, if there's visible evidence of it, no matter how it got there, I don't think I wanna take a chance. Of course they let people play who owned and provided a gun that ended up killing someone so I'm pretty sure of it that I am in the minority.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Signs of injuries on her body, no known signs of any injury on his body, and your story is she's the abuser. Yes, there are abusive women out there, but the signs in this case aren't pointing that way.
That's not my story. I have no clue what happened. That's why I would want to know whether there was any hint of this in the past. If there wasn't, and he's not with her any more, then it's worth the risk. It may turn out she's toxic and abusive and he is fine if he's away from her. If there is a hint it's happened before, then you don't hire him, or if he's still with her, you don't hire him now. Maybe if he goes somewhere else and there is no hint of another issue for years, then he has earned a second chance.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
At the risk of sounding like glfr, where do you draw the line on this? What transgressions would you be willing to live with from your coach if it only happened once or there's no hint of it not happening before? I mean, a credible domestic violence charge is a pretty big transgression to look the other way over.

And it's not surprising that she dropped the charges when it was made aware to her that it's in her best interest financially to do so.
The list is different depending on whether it happened once or whether there are suspicions it happened once. But if it happened once, probably pedophilia and rape are the only ones I'd say there is not redemption in this life time. Murder probably the same but maybe if it happens when they're young and they come from an awful background and have several decades of evidence of remorse and trying to do what they can to make up for what they did. Domestic violence can range from a man pushing a woman to the ground after she punches them in the face to everything short of murder up to and including torture. One extreme I would say is more or less non-redeemable, the other I would say requires virtually no time to redeem themselves if it's an isolated incident and they've removed themselves from the problem.

For suspicions, it's different. I suspect if Beard is abusive, it's not going to show up at age 50 without a hint of anything prior to then. And if I were going to bet money on it, I would bet this isn't his first rodeo and you can find rumors about it if you do your due diligence, in which case that's the end of the vetting. But if there's not a whiff of it, then the next question is whether he's developed a substance abuse problem and if that doesn't seem to be the case, then it seems to be a decent enough bet to say that the problem is he's in a toxic/abusive relationship. That doesn't mean he isn't at fault, but if he has a 30 year clean track record and has removed himself from the only situation where there has ever been an issue, that seems to be enough to me to take the risk.

That calculus obviously changes a lot if whatever suspicions there are regard an issue that would pose a risk to players or other people he'd come into contact with on the job.

Reactions: msu4ever

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
When is it OK to beat up a woman? The way I was raised the answer is never no matter what the situation; just walk away. I guess others have a different opinion of how to handle situations that may occur between a man and a woman. Times change and so do opinions.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When is it OK to beat up a woman? The way I was raised the answer is never no matter what the situation; just walk away. I guess others have a different opinion of how to handle situations that may occur between a man and a woman. Times change and so do opinions.
If a woman is attacking you, I think you have a right to defend yourself. Sometimes, just walking away isn't an option.

Reactions: paindonthurt

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If a woman is attacking you, I think you have a right to defend yourself. Sometimes, just walking away isn't an option.
I think anyone would agree. Basketball coaches in college have the type of personalities that would not lend themselves to someone who got beat up by a woman.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think anyone would agree. Basketball coaches in college have the type of personalities that would not lend themselves to someone who got beat up by a woman.
I don't know. I've seen some guys put up with some **** that I just don't get. Guys that have always been in control in relationships and if anything are the ones that treat the other ******, and then just the right type of girl gets ahold of them and suddenly they are beat down. And it's not even girls that are hot that manage to do it. I think they are just really good at being manipulative and psychologically abusive and somehow convince the guy the way they get treated is normal. Or maybe they can suck the chrome off a tailpipe. Never really feels appropriate to ask a man why they are essentially an abused spouse.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
There is scuttlebutt that suggests Will Wade will replace $tansbury at WKU

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don't know. I've seen some guys put up with some **** that I just don't get. Guys that have always been in control in relationships and if anything are the ones that treat the other ******, and then just the right type of girl gets ahold of them and suddenly they are beat down. And it's not even girls that are hot that manage to do it. I think they are just really good at being manipulative and psychologically abusive and somehow convince the guy the way they get treated is normal. Or maybe they can suck the chrome off a tailpipe. Never really feels appropriate to ask a man why they are essentially an abused spouse.
True but that's a different kind of abuse it's not physical abuse which I think is what we were talking about

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
True but that's a different kind of abuse it's not physical abuse which I think is what we were talking about
They happen together. Certainly more often emotional abuse by itself than both, but I think virtually all women that are physically abusive are emotionally abusive. They have to have the guy beat down emotionally first before they get to the physically abusive part or else the guy would just walk the first time.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Abusive women don’t recant a story to keep their SO out of jail, yet still move forward with a civil suit for the same damn thing.

The whole thing is exactly what it looks like. Beard didn’t only lose his job….he was looking at literal jail time for assault if the charges were not dropped. That would have been a 100% career ender, even if it was just a short sentence. Defense attorney for Beard approached the fiancee about financial compensation in exchange for dropping criminal charges. The civil suit will move forward, it will get settled out of court with NDA’s, “no admission of guilt”, and all the usual horseshit, and they will both go their separate ways.

And as far as whether he had a past history of abuse….its hard to say. But he was previously divorced from a woman who he had 3 children with. So he certainly has a past history of at least one failed (and possibly toxic) relationship.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Abusive women don’t recant a story to keep their SO out of jail, yet still move forward with a civil suit for the same damn thing.

The whole thing is exactly what it looks like. Beard didn’t only lose his job….he was looking at literal jail time for assault if the charges were not dropped. That would have been a 100% career ender, even if it was just a short sentence. Defense attorney for Beard approached the fiancee about financial compensation in exchange for dropping criminal charges. The civil suit will move forward, it will get settled out of court with NDA’s, “no admission of guilt”, and all the usual horseshit, and they will both go their separate ways.
Possible? Yeah.
Likely? Probably.
No for sure? No.

But, if that woman let him off to get some money, she’s a piece of $h1t too.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Possible? Yeah.
Likely? Probably.
No for sure? No.

But, if that woman let him off to get some money, she’s a piece of $h1t too.

Why would she be a piece of **** to pursue some form of pain and suffering compensation for legitimate abuse? It’s not like she would have been the one who initiated “letting him off”. All parties would have had to agree to it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login