We went 4-0 in the stretch of games we had to go 4-0 in

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Sitting in a nice position now. Two tough games coming up. A resurgent LSU on the road and Kentucky at home. A split would be nice. Three more wins locks up a spot in the tourney, IMO.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I really hope we can play ourselves out of this 7-8-9 seeding. Give me a 12 seed. 8’s and 9’s have almost no chance to make the 2nd weekend.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I really hope we can play ourselves out of this 7-8-9 seeding. Give me a 12 seed. 8’s and 9’s have almost no chance to make the 2nd weekend.

There was a 9 seed in the Final Four last year. It’s all a crap shoot based on matchups, really and truly. But we do have wins against Tennessee and Auburn so on our best day we can beat almost anyone.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Not to be "that guy" but over the last 5 tournaments, there have been 2 12 seeds making the Sweet 16, while 3 8s and 3 9s have made it.

Even better is the 6 11s that have made it (compared to just 2 6s)

Reactions: VegasDawg13

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Sitting in a nice position now. Two tough games coming up. A resurgent LSU on the road and Kentucky at home. A split would be nice. Three more wins locks up a spot in the tourney, IMO.

I think you’re short selling us, two more wins should lock us in pretty easily. One more might be enough but it would depend on conference tourneys. We’re closer to being a 7 or 8 seed at the moment than we are of not being in the field.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
My question after this game is..
Pay Me Wayne Brady GIF by Holly Logan

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Not to be "that guy" but over the last 5 tournaments, there have been 2 12 seeds making the Sweet 16, while 3 8s and 3 9s have made it.

Even better is the 6 11s that have made it (compared to just 2 6s)
I hear you, but over the long term you’re pretty much a dead man walking.

I’d take an 11 seed right now for this team. Match us up with a BYU or Colorado State type.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think you’re short selling us, two more wins should lock us in pretty easily. One more might be enough but it would depend on conference tourneys. We’re closer to being a 7 or 8 seed at the moment than we are of not being in the field.
No. We are guilty of what happens lately. We beat 4 teams we were suppose to beat. We go 1-4 down the stretch I’ll bet the farm we aren’t in. Ole Miss was squarely in and closer to a 7-8 seed before they went 1-4 now they are likely out, and their metrics were better than ours.

2 wins gets us in. 9 is the magic number. Our net is still only 41. Can’t afford 1-4.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
No. We are guilty of what happens lately. We beat 4 teams we were suppose to beat. We go 1-4 down the stretch I’ll bet the farm we aren’t in. Ole Miss was squarely in and closer to a 7-8 seed before they went 1-4 now they are likely out, and their metrics were better than ours.

2 wins gets us in. 9 is the magic number. Our net is still only 41. Can’t afford 1-4.
OM has been 15-20 spots behind us in NET all year so their metrics were not all better than ours. I think they like us have been sitting on 3 quad 1 wins for a while.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I’m not sure what you’re talking about with OM’s metrics, at no point have they been better than ours.

I agree that you’re playing with fire if you finish 1-4 but you’d be in a similar spot to last year where 1-2 wins in the SEC tourney still likely gets you in.

Would obviously much prefer to win several more games and seeding be the only consideration on selection Sunday.

Reactions: VegasDawg13

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I’m not sure what you’re talking about with OM’s metrics, at no point have they been better than ours.

I agree that you’re playing with fire if you finish 1-4 but you’d be in a similar spot to last year where 1-2 wins in the SEC tourney still likely gets you in.

Would obviously much prefer to win several more games and seeding be the only consideration on selection Sunday.
Ole miss RPI was higher than ours all season, until last night. They also were ahead of us in quad 1/2 wins combined. It was a very similar resume. And there was basically as good if not better than ours until the 4 game stretch happened were ole miss went 0-4 in quad one games and we went 4-0.

Point being Ole Miss and even Texas AM for that matter, were squarely in the tournament, much like we are now... until a bad stretch. Our resume isnt good enough to go 1-4 down the stretch and get in. Without a solid tourney run and a lot of help.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
OM has never been above the mid-50s in NET rankings all season and are currently near 70. We have been in the mid-30s to low 40s all year. We also have played a tougher schedule, and have more quad 1 and quad 2 combined wins. At no point have their metrics ever been better than ours. Lunardi had them as a fantasy 8 seed early in conference play after they had feasted on a weak non-conference schedule and won a couple of SEC games, but they have regressed back to the mean and will not make the tourney.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Ole miss RPI was higher than ours all season, until last night. They also were ahead of us in quad 1/2 wins combined. It was a very similar resume. And there was basically as good if not better than ours until the 4 game stretch happened were ole miss went 0-4 in quad one games and we went 4-0.

Point being Ole Miss and even Texas AM for that matter, were squarely in the tournament, much like we are now... until a bad stretch. Our resume isnt good enough to go 1-4 down the stretch and get in. Without a solid tourney run and a lot of help.
I don’t know if you’re aware of this, but the NCAA doesn’t use RPI anymore in making selections, so there is no point in looking at it.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

RPI isn’t on the Team Sheet.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
OM has never been above the mid-50s in NET rankings all season and are currently near 70. We have been in the mid-30s to low 40s all year. We also have played a tougher schedule, and have more quad 1 and quad 2 combined wins. At no point have their metrics ever been better than ours. Lunardi had them as a fantasy 8 seed early in conference play after they had feasted on a weak non-conference schedule and won a couple of SEC games, but they have regressed back to the mean and will not make the tourney.

Their RPI was better than ours and their quad 1/2 win total was better than ours until the last 4 game stretch. I realize that net isnt used techincally, but its still a way things can be judged.

Your missing the point that was being discussed: I realize that Ole Miss is likely not in the tournament. However up until they went 1-4 over a 5 game stretch against good competiton, they were in the tournament as an 8 seed. WE, are likely in that very same place right now. Somewhere around an 8 seed with 5 games left against good competition. If we go 1-4, we'll likely be right where ole miss is, and thats not in the tournament, very bubblish, and having to play our way in.

The point I'm trying to make: We cant go 1-4 and get in. We have to win 2. Or get extremely lucky with others losing around us.. or winning some SEC tournament games. If we win 2 however, we are in.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023

Truly exhausting all avenues to continue to b*tch about this basketball team when referencing RPI.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Truly exhausting all avenues to continue to b*tch about this basketball team when referencing RPI.
If youve read half my posts about the season. I'm one of the ones who has been very optimistic..

making the point that our resume cant afford a stumble down the stretch is reality, not a slap in the face.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

I know we've discussed a lot basketball wise.

Let me ask your thoughts on this: People have been giving the SEC a lot of credit for being one of the better leagues. With Ole Miss and TxAm struggling... you think the SEC is only a 7 bid league. Or you think we get an 8th due to simply conference strength?

Ole Miss has to do a lot wouldnt you agree? and although the AM numbers dont look bad, they could very easily go 2-3 down the stretch. Even going 3-2 probably doesnt make that big of a ripple does it?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
We need 2 wins. If we hold serve at home that should be no problem. Only issue is that it is Kentucky and a much better than we thought they would be South Carolina team. Also, the fact that LSU isn't terrible like they were predicted to be hurts our chances on the road.

And, rightly so, fans' confidence tends to slip because the free throw shooting is getting worse by the game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login