We were without 3 DL in Arizona State...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I mean if we were missing 3 DL maybe we didn't have enough for a 4 man front!
Walk up a LB. You can't just concede yards when they are one-dimensional. Put more in the box. Like others have said, on that 3rd and 5 when we needed a stop late in the 4th, we had 6 men in the box. Play cover 0 and make them beat you throwing.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It reminded me of the 2014 Orange Bowl. Georgia Tech just kept running the same damn play to the same damn guy over and over again.

Same thing happened Saturday night. We would have been so much better off just selling out for the run and forcing their QB to make throws. This was some bush league defensive coordinating.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Additional note on that Orange Bowl: when Preston Smith was in, he single-handedly shut down his side of the field. However, we were set on doing that stupid A and B thing, so...

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Walk up a LB. You can't just concede yards when they are one-dimensional. Put more in the box. Like others have said, on that 3rd and 5 when we needed a stop late in the 4th, we had 6 men in the box. Play cover 0 and make them beat you throwing.
Yeah, that was inexcusable. You make halftime adjustments (which should've been made by the 3rd possession at least), then suddenly you either outsmart yourself or go brain dead at a critical moment.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
The not making adjustments is 17n maddening.
I don’t understand it

GoDawgz52

Aug 21, 2023
If you are bleeding profusely from a cut on your head....and there is a chance that you could bleed from your arm.... do you put a regular size band aid on your arm and your head?
NO! You put how ever big a band aid you can get on your head to stop from dying and worry about the potential bleed on your arm later!
Now that's a long way of saying put 7 in the box to stop the run that is killing you and if they throw the ball keep them in front of you!
Defense 101!

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I wonder if there was some “sink or swim - we’ll talk at halftime”. Maybe they wanted to cut their teeth in game 2 instead of game 4 (or 8).

Also for all the criticism, the defense only gave up 23 points. They were gassed at the end though.

Reactions: paindonthurt17

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
but what did Hutzler see to remain in the 3 man defensive front for a lot of the game. That's the most concerning thing.
It's the arrogant, egotistical, bullheaded (some may say Moorheaded) thinking that many coaches seem to have. D-line and D-coord need to be called on the carpet for sure.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
did we not watch film of their first game and notice they can't pass. should have had 8 in the box from the get go.

Reactions: 22yardpunt

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Our depth at DL has been razor thin for almost 3 years. This falls on David Turner.
With what we have available, I would play a 4 man front with 2DT’s and 2 DE/LB ‘s….

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I mean if we were missing 3 DL maybe we didn't have enough for a 4 man front!
We ran 7 or 8 in the box in early 4th quarter and stopped their running game (and their offense). However, we went away from that look late in the 4th quarter and they ran the ball down our throats to run out the clock. Makes no sense.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just put Purvis on the edge and go four men. Teams are going to run on us all year if they don't get that taken care of.

Reactions: patdog

Rezdog

Oct 25, 2015
We ran 7 or 8 in the box in early 4th quarter and stopped their running game (and their offense). However, we went away from that look late in the 4th quarter and they ran the ball down our throats to run out the clock. Makes no sense.
We had like 13 in the box on that long run. Ol white boy just ran through the arm tackles.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Anybody that follows this team should have known that. Those are 3 of our beat for what that's worth. He definitely should have rolled one of our biggest LB down to the line. They are not much of a passing team. Again...something any fan should know so obviously our DC should know that. They planned to run the ball eat up the click and keep our showtime offense on the bench. Which is exactly what we will see all year. Similar to the drop 8 defense. Our haunted offense gave away 7 point and where is everybody complaining about us not scoring ? If that showtime offense can't score 30 at will we are gonna lose a lot more games

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It was the equivalent of a basketball team putting a 6-8” power forward on Anthony Davis and refusing to even attempt a double team after a 28/10 first half.

Maybe our scrawny secondary and non-tackling LBs wouldn’t have helped, but you have to at least attempt something different when they’re gashing you over and over again on the ground.

Skattebo and Leavitt combined for 44 carries and 330 yards. 7.5 yds/carry for the game which has to be one of the most embarrassing rushing stat lines in the history of our program

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
And there are about 8-10 more guys on the roster 250-300 lb. Yet we couldn't get at least 6 of them into some kind of rotation to have 4 linemen in the game. Even 280 lb freshmen would at least take up some space at the line.

engie

May 29, 2011
but what did Hutzler see to remain in the 3 man defensive front for a lot of the game. That's the most concerning thing.
You mean to tell me the guy we hired from Alabama with no experience being a coordinator and who didn’t bring any talent with him in the portal isn’t awesome from the jump at this coordinator thing? Hopefully I’m wrong and this ends up being laughed at.

While we are paying a buyout to a guy that would have held that team to 14 points is playing at analyst in Oxford?

There are bright spots everywhere on offense, but I see no sign of imminent turnaround on the defense. Which is what in the end likely differentiates this from Mullen’s first squad which was loaded with young defensive talent

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The not making adjustments is 17n maddening.
I don’t understand it
But did we not adjust? (honest question… I was half asleep). They had a frustratingly long drive to start the 2nd half, but it ended in a long FG. Then 3 punts.

I know we’re all remembering the last drive, but we still held them to a FG in the entire 2nd half.

Reactions: retire the banner

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
We really could have used those 3 we didn't have. I think a 6-3-5 defense might have slowed ASU down a little.

• Haha
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login