Weather nerds: radar site added in the Delta

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Unlikely. The company is offering it free to the NWS for 6 months, but talk is after that anybody that wants access has to pay for the feed.
I figured so. We sure could have used it when that Christmas tornado came through Clarksdale in 2015. It turned last minute and missed us by ~1500ft. I was shocked at the size of that thing looking dead at it. Herds of deer sprinting and chemical raining down from ag aviation place over on 49.

Reactions: Bulldawg56

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
If you're on twitter that tornado is my background image. Photo was taken in Marks.

But to the radar issue, any area outside of a red circle the radar beam is at least 8,000ft above the ground meaning it is completely blind below that. That's high enough to not be able to see the damage signature of an EF-0 to some EF-1 tornadoes. That's why our chase team is working tirelessly trying to get some traction on an idea to have cameras on cell towers that tie into a website that can be provided fo the NWS and local media outlets to be able to see if a storm has produced a tornado. And unlike this radar company, we have no intentions of charging for the information. I made a post several weeks ago seeing if anybody had any high level contacts with CSpire as I was wanting to contact them to see if they'd be interested in donating the towers and cell service for the cameras. I thought it was going to happen with T Mobile but it hit a snag. We think this would save a ton of lives if we could get it implemented and it's what I spend a lot of my free time on trying to make happen.
NWS Radar Beam Heights.png

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Great. Now the government is putting radar in our drinking water ***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login