Weird CFP Fact

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
For your daily dose of useless information which may or may not prove anything, Washington, which made the switch to Adidas in 2019, is the first Adidas school to ever make the CFP. The last time they made the playoff, they were a Nike school. So, in the current playoff format which expires after this season, only one Adidas school ever made it in.

By the appearance numbers (40 appearances):

Nike schools have been 36 of those 40 appearances (90%):
- Alabama (8)
- Clemson (6)
- Ohio State (5)
- Oklahoma (4)
- Georgia (3)
- Michigan (3)
- Washington (1 [2016])
- LSU (1)
- Oregon (1)
- TCU (1)
- FSU (1)
- Michigan State (1)
- Texas (1)

Under Armour has made 3 out of 40 appearances (7.5%):
- Notre Dame (2)
- Cincinnati (1)

And finally, for the first time ever this year, Adidas. 1 appearance out of 40 teams (2.5%):
- Washington (1 [2024])

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
It’s because adidas is a third tier company, and gets the leftovers that Nike and under armour ect doesn’t want. Their uniforms are trash and have done us no favors over the entire time we’ve had them.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don't get all fussed up over athletic clothing sponsorship, but I do look at UA and constantly wonder why the 17 it's so popular with many men.
Generic looking hats, overpriced poly dry-fit shirts that don't fit most men well, shoes that often look and feel cheap, etc etc.
Is UA doing anything innovative with clothing that sets them apart, or is all this fanfare based on Protect this House commercials from a decade ago and UA's desire to slap the flag on random sections of their shirts?

I don't know...I just can't see why that is some inherently more desired brand than Adidas.

Nov 20, 2023
Does anyone know anything about when our contact with Adidas runs out or whatever? I’m curious to know. I’m kinda like mstateglfr about this but I am curious how long Adidas is our provider? That is crazy this will be their first time however

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I've seen the "but Adidas is great to us in basketball" comment several times here. But no nobody has ever really explained why.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I've seen the "but Adidas is great to us in basketball" comment several times here. But no nobody has ever really explained why.
I think it has to do with Bailey Howell and his influence within our athletic department. He used to work for converse, and converse was bought out by Nike in 2003. In 2004 we switched from Nike to Russel. You think that’s a coincidence? Then the lies started with the Nike owing our logos ect. Maybe he personally has some beef with Nike as well.
He helped develop the original Converse all star shoe, and then when Nike bought them out, Nike changed that specific shoe from an athletic shoe to simply a fashion shoe, even putting that stupid felt on the bottom rubber. They also sent that shoe ti be manufactured in China. So maybe Bailey personally doesn’t like Nike and we’ve had to feel the effects of his influence all these years in every athletic team we have.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
So Nike buys more and better players than Adidas?
Kids are simply attracted to Nike way more than any other brand.

Line up the top 500 players in the country and ask them to pick any shoe from Nike/Jordan, Adidas or Under Armour. I guarantee you 99% pick a Nike/Jordan product. It's undeniable.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It does conjure up images of Eastern Europeans wearing the brand's tracksuits and knockoff Raybans while smoking Marlboro Reds in their late 1980s Lada Automobile.
Interesting. When I think of late 80s and Adidas, I think these guys, which is about as 180 from what you think of.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Kids are simply attracted to Nike way more than any other brand.

Line up the top 500 players in the country and ask them to pick any shoe from Nike/Jordan, Adidas or Under Armour. I guarantee you 99% pick a Nike/Jordan product. It's undeniable.
Jordan for sure, I don't know about the rest of Nike and that's really just shoes. Jordan brand doesn't have many schools at all definitely none that are national championship contenders outside of UNC who were pretenders this year.

I doubt any recruits put much value in a program's brand deal when deciding who to sign with.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Side topic: adidas is a soccer company. We are now a women’s soccer school. Coincidence?

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008
It’s because adidas is a third tier company, and gets the leftovers that Nike and under armour ect doesn’t want. Their uniforms are trash and have done us no favors over the entire time we’ve had them.
There are so many things wrong in this post.

Nov 20, 2023
Jordan for sure, I don't know about the rest of Nike and that's really just shoes. Jordan brand doesn't have many schools at all definitely none that are national championship contenders outside of UNC who were pretenders this year.

I doubt any recruits put much value in a program's brand deal when deciding who to sign with.
Apparently the “Fighting Harbaughs” up at Michigan love them some Jordan Brand gear and Jordan loves them. That’s a big name but I agree with you outside of those guys I don’t know off the top of my head who else uses Jordan Brand. Man Nike is making some huge bucks with Jordan and Nike brands. I’m curious how many schools total use Nike. Gonna look it up. Who would you rather us go with guys? Jw

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Apparently the “Fighting Harbaughs” up at Michigan love them some Jordan Brand gear and Jordan loves them. That’s a big name but I agree with you outside of those guys I don’t know off the top of my head who else uses Jordan Brand. Man Nike is making some huge bucks with Jordan and Nike brands. I’m curious how many schools total use Nike. Gonna look it up. Who would you rather us go with guys? Jw
I didn't realize Michigan was a Jordan brand, I guess they would qualify as national championship contenders lol

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87
Nov 20, 2023
I didn't realize Michigan was a Jordan brand, I guess they would qualify as national championship contenders lol
Yep since 2016 signed a nearly $174 million dollar deal. The athletes were excited as hell, especially basketball players getting to play in Jordan’s really appealed to them. I remember when the deal was signed.

Nov 20, 2023
Interesting. When I think of late 80s and Adidas, I think these guys, which is about as 180 from what you think of.

I think of that song “white lines” by them for some reason lol and others of course. For real though they were hip hop pioneers like Rakim and KRS-One and others. They were definitely always Rocking the Adidas swag. Wish I had that gif of David Spade performing “white lines” several years ago on tv.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

All of which are quite available in today's Adidas Orignals collections and quite popular amongst today's college students. "Vintage," "Retro," "Recycling," etc. - all have significant momentum with today's youth

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I think of that song “white lines” by them for some reason lol and others of course. For real though they were hip hop pioneers like Rakim and KRS-One and others. They were definitely always Rocking the Adidas swag. Wish I had that gif of David Spade performing “white lines” several years ago on tv.
White Lines wasn’t them.

Nov 20, 2023
White Lines wasn’t them.
It was Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel I got confused. Thanks. Either way Run Dmc rocked adidas in a big way it was the shiznit in those times. I’ve heard so many rappers and newish rappers like Gucci Mane and Young Jeezy talk about their Adidas “shell toe” sneakers btw speaking of rap/hip-hop it has went to **** for the most part outside of a small few. I still listen to Scarface a good bit and even the older Geto Boys stuff sometimes and Jay Zs older albums like Reasonable Doubt and others of his. Lol Today it’s Van Halen though lol bc I want to hear him shread the guitar.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login