welcome to the sec tigers

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
as the week progressed. Memphis fans calling in. By Friday, not only was it the biggest event since the birth of Christ, it was also going to be a 20+ point asswhipping by Memphis against Tennessee and their "weak schedule".

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________to listen to Sports56 here in Memphis on Monday. It will be hysterical._________________________________________________

I just told my wife the same thing. it is going to be a trip

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
have room to talk about anyone's schedule, with them having "CUSA" painted on their home floor.

Since I'm never lived around the Memphis area, are Memphis fans really as retarded as y'all make them sound? If I had to guess, I'll bet they're bandwagon UT football fans too.

MissStFan87

Feb 15, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Since I'm never lived around the Memphis area, are Memphis fans really as retarded as y'all make them sound?_________________________________________________
Some of them are. The thing that annoys me is the stupid comments a lot of them make about the SEC. The SEC is pure evil and can do no right in their eyes.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
For years while UT was bad in basketball, most fans in Memphis were UT football fans and Memphis basketball fans. They cheer for whatever team is good. It screams fairweather fan.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Since we all know that losses can be good for a team, Memphis uses this loss as motivation and runs the table the rest of the way and wins the NCAA Tournament.

I say sell... Depending on the draw, I think they'll lose in the Elite 8

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
be at least somewhat rational?

You must not live around here, or you wouldn't be defending them.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
I guess the Memphis AD is staggering all the way to the bank with the proceeds of his team's success in the Cal era. But given that I've seen more than a few fan bases rally around a successful team/program, I don't find the interest in Memphis basketball "staggering".

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
They won't sniff the Final Four, and I would not be surprised to see them lose as early as the 2nd round, depending of course on the draw.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
is the amount of people with absolutely no affiliation with the UofM that are suddenly basketball fans. Most of these loons that call the radio shows don't even go to games. And a lot of them are UT football fans.

aGAIN, you must not live here.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
The rest of the week I was in Middle and East Tennessee and it was the same there. Only the excitement was coming from people wearing Orange.

It doesn't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I've been in other cities when a team was about to play a big game or on a championship run and - based on that - this week's talk radio in Memphis seemed rather normal to me.

Calipairi has done an incredible job with the Memphis program. They've been Number 1 for a few weeks and played a cross-state rival who just happened to be Number 2. What do you expect them to talk about? The glory days of the Showboats.

Every team has bandwagon fans who come off as irrational. For instance, MSU had their share of irrational Croom haters jump on the Bulldog Bandwagon around the first of November. And it was good to see them all in Memphis for the Liberty Bowl.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
And I understand the dynamics of Memphis basketball. And yes, there are a lot of hybrid Memphis/UT fans. That's because Memphis is in large part a commuter college. I know plenty of people who grew up fans of other schools, but due to various circumstances, stayed in Memphis for college.

And I know there are a lot of fans who never attended the school. Hell, I've been a Memphis basketball fan for as long as I can remember and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've set foot on that campus.

Its a big city with a large population of folks who didn't attend college anywhere. Should they not be allowed to be sports fans?

Again, if you've ever spent much time in a city that had a sports team on a nice run, I don't think you would find this staggering.

windcrysmary

Nov 11, 2007
tiger high fans are a very bitter and ignorant group .. their hatred for the sec and ut is unique and silly... it comes from being in the heart of sec country and having to play 2nd fiddle to ut, ark, ole miss and MSU.. watching those memphis players go to the sec and getting beat by those players when they play sec teams...

day after day I remember tiger high fans calling in and agreeing with dana kirk that peyton manning was not as good a qb as tee martin and that qb from florida that won a heisman and a NC that always beat ut under spurrier..oh yeah..danny weurfull (sp?). (good example of how their hatred made them amongst the stupidist fans in the country...

having said that, there is nothing wrong with fans who never had an official affiliation with a school to become fans and ticket buyers.... every successful team with top attendance numbers has those type of fans and it takes them in order to make it to the big time.... only example that is wrong I guess are the rednecks in MISS that have never had a family member make it out of the 10th grade but are rabid ole miss fans because of the rebel flag...

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
going to games and such, then went to another school, but never lost their fandom of Memphis. I guess it's kind of like me and UNC. You can't turn it off just cause you went somewehere else. Plus if I was living in Chapel Hill. Yes, they went to other schools, but they grew up Memphis fans, and now go to their games, just because it's close and easy.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
tiger fan is the epitome of "bandwagon." just from working up there a few times in the past month, i can attest to how redonk they are.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
I live in Jackson and went to a sports bar/restaurant last night and was amazed at how many memphis fans that were there rooting for the tigers. I couldn't figure out if they were memphis alums or fans of the CUSA because many Southern Miss grads come to Jackson for work. After all, I was cheering for Tenn not because I particularly like them but because I am an SEC fan. I was just stunned that people cheering for Memphis outnumbered those cheering for UT.

oem

Feb 23, 2008
You don't think Calipairi has something to do with the current excitement of the fan base? Really? Wow.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login