Well boys, it’s that time of year

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Of course I’m referring to the awesome dinner I just had. When it was apparent that no beisbol was happening in Hattiesburg for awhile, I went and took care of some yard work. That heat was starting to get to me, so I came inside.

And then I started eyeballing that ripe, juicy tomato in the fridge. Sliced it nice and thick, put it between two slices of Sara Lee honey wheat bread, spread the Blue Plate on, applied generous amounts of salt and pepper. *chef’s kiss

Pairs well with Lay’s BBQ potato chips and an ice cold Co-Coler.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Of course I’m referring to the awesome dinner I just had. When it was apparent that no beisbol was happening in Hattiesburg for awhile, I went and took care of some yard work. That heat was starting to get to me, so I came inside.

And then I started eyeballing that ripe, juicy tomato in the fridge. Sliced it nice and thick, put it between two slices of Sara Lee honey wheat bread, spread the Blue Plate on, applied generous amounts of salt and pepper. *chef’s kiss

The “Blue Plate” and “wheat bread” ruined the deal for you. You need some Hellmanns and some Bunny bread to make amends here-or at the very least, some Duke’s mayonnaise and some store- brand white bread to make a decent sandwich. Honey wheat and Blue Plate just really sucks in this situation, IMO….

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

That sounds revolting.

Reactions: dickiedawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

+++ on the Blue Plate. I've converted all of my Texas buddies. They all said' "It's just mayonnaise." Then they tried some of mine. I cannot image cold peach halves with a dollop of mayo with shredded sharp cheese sprinkled on top much less a 'mater sammich without Blue Plate.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

This spring has been unusually wet and humid here in Texas, which means we're having a great growing season. My wife pulled a couple of yellow squash. Our Zucchini is still just flowering, so I bought some and onions at the store, sliced them and made baked vegetables. Our three small tomatoes reminded me of how much better garden-grown tomatoes are than even the farmer's market.

We have a vine of huge beefsteak tomatoes that are still green. Was tempted to pick a couple and make fried green tomatoes but I don't like the fryer greasing up the kitchen (wonder if it would work in an air fryer?). Hope to beat the birds to them when they start turning red, and we'll have a bunch of tomatoes that we can make BLT's with.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It’s a store-bought ‘mater. I’ve never had any luck growing them here. Either the sun beats them to death or a late season frost takes care of them.
I have a friend who is building a geothermal greenhouse. Looking forward to year around fresh tomatoes up in the land of maters non gratis myself.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If you want to kick a mater sammich up to the next level, drizzle balsamic vinegar glaze over the mater before you slap that top piece of bread on. Not vinegar but glaze, there is a difference.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The “Blue Plate” and “wheat bread” ruined the deal for you. You need some Hellmanns and some Bunny bread to make amends here-or at the very least, some Duke’s mayonnaise and some store- brand white bread to make a decent sandwich. Honey wheat and Blue Plate just really sucks in this situation, IMO….
I couldn't agree more. Our refrigerator at home always has 2 jars of mayo, the wife's Blue Plate and another of anything besides Blue Plate for me. I agree w/ the bread too

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Cold tomatoes. Gross. Need to be room temp.

was21

May 29, 2007

....but should have had plain white bread...it's more unhealthy.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Pulled 400 ears of corn yesterday. Local maters are just starting to get going. I eat them like an apple.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I generally have an opinion on most anything but mayonnaise is mayonnaise as long as it not Miracle Whip. That being said, Dukes is my go to unless something else is on sale.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I generally have an opinion on most anything but mayonnaise is mayonnaise as long as it not Miracle Whip. That being said, Dukes is my go to unless something else is on sale.
smdh…..then why not just use ketchup

FishinDawg

Aug 22, 2012

Swap the Co-Coler with a nice cold glass of white milk and then it will be perfect.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

Trade out the Blue Plate for some Duke’s and I’m right there with you.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login