Well Jackson got the water turned back on and.....

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
The mayor says, even though the city council never approved Richards and never voted to pay them, that they must be paid, because they provided a service, even thogh they never posessed a legal contract. With this in mind, I am going to send the mayor a letter of consultation every day and start billing him for the services he never contracted., hoping the courts will see my scam as legitimate as his scam, and worthy of compensation.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I am sure this issue was caused by and should be corrected by the state. Just like the huge pile of tires behind a Jackson business that has become the states responsibility. Certainly couldn't be the city of Jackson's responsibility to provide water, garbage pick up or anything resembling law and order for its citizens

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm honestly surprised they picked up the trash as long as they did considering they weren't getting paid.
Aren't most trash companies a front though
Happy The Sopranos GIF

Reactions: patdog

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Aren't most trash companies a front though
Happy The Sopranos GIF
I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes there. Surely the Mayor and Richard's are not refusing to provide/share any kickback with the city council members? Is the city council so sick of the mayor that they're willing to pass up money to spite him?

Or does Waste Management still make payments and they are paying the council members to 17 Richards and make sure they don't expand? I would have thought Waste Management was of a size and legitimacy that they couldn't/wouldn't make those type payoffs, but maybe I am just naively underestimating how impossible it is to operate in that business without paying local government officials off.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I would love to know what is going on behind the scenes there. Surely the Mayor and Richard's are not refusing to provide/share any kickback with the city council members? Is the city council so sick of the mayor that they're willing to pass up money to spite him?

Or does Waste Management still make payments and they are paying the council members to 17 Richards and make sure they don't expand? I would have thought Waste Management was of a size and legitimacy that they couldn't/wouldn't make those type payoffs, but maybe I am just naively underestimating how impossible it is to operate in that business without paying local government officials off.
Well, there are claims that the city council had been getting something from Waste Management in order to get and keep the contract. Councilman Banks also accused a local pastor of trying to influence the vote on the trash pickup contract. I've had limited dealings with the pastor and would just say I wouldn't be shocked if what Councilman Banks said was true. Banks and the pastor and now suing each other. It is truly a clown show.

Jackson councilman doubles down on claims contractor tried to bribe him to support trash contract (wlbt.com)

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I'm like a kid with a new toy with these GIF's. Better than my own words.

trash GIF

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Well, there are claims that the city council had been getting something from Waste Management in order to get and keep the contract. Councilman Banks also accused a local pastor of trying to influence the vote on the trash pickup contract. I've had limited dealings with the pastor and would just say I wouldn't be shocked if what Councilman Banks said was true. Banks and the pastor and now suing each other. It is truly a clown show.

Jackson councilman doubles down on claims contractor tried to bribe him to support trash contract (wlbt.com)
The amount of federal investigative activity associated with the COJ solid waste debacle is enormous. There are so many "eyes" and "ears" watching and listening, there's an alert in Quantico when Kenneth Stokes farts.

Reactions: Lucifer Morningstar

crackerjax

Aug 24, 2012
That's the problem. The dummies aren't even voting. In a city of ~160k people, only 18,000 even participated in the last mayoral election. That is TOTAL votes.
In other words, it wouldn’t take a whole heckuva lot of people with common sense to just show up to vote in order to get new city leadership.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Jackson is a place that has so many wonderful people in it that has such a bad image and rightfully so. The leadership are some of the most overpaid and corrupt bunch of morons this side of hell. The superintendent of literally one of the worst school districts in America (JPS) makes 240,000 a year while the schools are in such disrepair that they can not even provide adequate heating/ cooling and the damn roofs leak any time it rains. Lumba and his cronies are stealing everything that is not nailed down while blaming every problem in the city on racism. As if that explains why the schools, roads, water, garbage pick up, and pretty much everything else they touch turns to crap.

Side note: Question for Shmuley, Isn't Kenny Stokes the moron that wanted toll roads in Jackson a few years back? Every time I hear his name I always think about that or his "You got to get out while the getting is good comment ". I think it was something like that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In other words, it wouldn’t take a whole heckuva lot of people with common sense to just show up to vote in order to get new city leadership.
Wouldn't take a lot, but you'd probably still need to be able to mobilize people with common sense to vote late in the day and even that might not stop enough votes from being found to offset it. But even if you were successful in that, there aren't enough wards with people with common sense to get a city council that can be worked with, and then on top of that, the mayor has to be ready to get Ben Allen'd and deal with frivolous criminal charges.

LTR131

Jul 3, 2013
The
The real issue is that noone with any ability wants to take on that cesspool. Pretty much all of Jackson is on the government payroll in on fashion or another.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The
The real issue is that noone with any ability wants to take on that cesspool. Pretty much all of Jackson is on the government payroll in on fashion or another.
The only REAL issue is that our State Capitol and most important healthcare facilities are there and we can't walk away from it....yet.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Side note: Question for Shmuley, Isn't Kenny Stokes the moron that wanted toll roads in Jackson a few years back? Every time I hear his name I always think about that or his "You got to get out while the getting is good comment ". I think it was something like that.
The most amazing thing about all of this is how we've now reached a point where Kenny is a smart person in the room. Has he been sandbagging this whole time, or did the surrounding situation devolve so much that he's now above it?

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
The most amazing thing about all of this is how we've now reached a point where Kenny is a smart person in the room. Has he been sandbagging this whole time, or did the surrounding situation devolve so much that he's now above it?
I literally posted something similar on Facebook about how sad it is that he’s the best candidate they have right now. Funny thing is, it got only a couple of likes because my following is 70-30 republican. Republicans won’t like anything with “best” and “stokes” in the same sentence and the post wasn’t woke so none from the other 30%, either. No likes doesn’t make it not true.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login