Well, last night was better but can we take the next step and actually win an SEC game?....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Better is encouraging but far from satisfying. Hopefully we won't follow the script from our previous two SEC weekends where we were competitive in one game with two blowouts.

Still way too many freebies (10), shaky defense and squandered scoring opportunities. Hope we can get something going but even if we do, barring an absolute miraculous turnaround, I think enough has happened already to seal the fates of some or all of our current leadership.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
pitching was better. clutch hitting still sucks. 12 hits only 4 ****** runs. Coaching is still lacking. won't pinch hit when we should. waste an out bunting when we have been stealing second easily (except when we slide like someone who doesn't know how to slide). leave pitcher in too long-Holcomb did suck it up and get us out of a jam(no thanks to Foxhall) . Clark looks at fastballs down the middle then swings like a washwoman at curves out of the zone. Alford looked pretty damn good at the plate but he can't throw the ball to first. and of course the UMP 17s us.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Do people know that was a mid-week starter USC threw last night?

It was our friday night guy vs a midweek starter and we still couldn’t win?

USC has their top 2 arms lined up for Friday and Saturday, they opted to keep those guys on regular rest.

Nothing about last night was up to SEC par. Starter only goes 5, 4 stolen bases allowed, still don’t have a 3b that can actually play the position. Why on earth was Forsythe allowed to hit in the 9th???? I could keep going, but…

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

USC has their top 2 arms lined up for Friday and Saturday, they opted to keep those guys on regular rest.

Nothing about last night was up to SEC par. Starter only goes 5, 4 stolen bases allowed, still don’t have a 3b that can actually play the position. Why on earth was Forsythe allowed to hit in the 9th???? I could keep going, but…
Yep, not looking good for next two. I assume Loftin is starting Sat or Sunday, he has potential to do well but who knows what his walk count will be. Dohm will keep the game close for 5 innings, but I expect USC to work the pitch count up on both to get into the bullpen, and we have seen what happens then.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I can’t understand letting Forsythe bat in that situation in the 9th. Gotta put someone in who you reasonably expect to lift the ball to the OF.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Midweek starter or not, USC has lost 2 games all year long and we hung with them in that game. I hope yesterday's game gave the guys a little pride and confidence. Still a ton of things to improve on as have been mentioned above, but that was a competitive SEC game that just didn't go our way. Winning run was at the plate in the 9th - that's miles better than how the previous 6 matches went.

A few positives to take away from that game. Loo definitely has rough stretches, always seems to string walks and HBP's together but it was really fun to see him settle down and pitch in the 3rd and 4th, he looked loose and definitely flashed his massive potential. Holcombe was very solid out of the pen. I also thought that we left him out there too long, especially in the 9th once he walked those two, but he buckled down and was a damn dawg and got out of it. If we can start to turn this thing around he may be very instrumental in making it happen. He threw as many pitches as a starter and saved the rest of the pen. We struck out 15 on the day. Yeah we walked a ton too, gotta get that cleaned up. The baserunning mistakes drive me nuts. Continued errors around the infield are maddening. But at this point I'm tired of being negative, it's no fun at all to keep whining so I'm trying to find the silver lining here...

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Joe Biden Speech GIF by Election 2020

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
Loo was drafted as a switch-hitting shortstop. He should have went straight to 3rd when he was finished pitching. I'll take my chances with him only throwing at 75% from 3rd to 1st so as to not hurt his tired arm. He could turn around and throw it from 3rd to 1st left-handed, couldn't be any worse than what we have now.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
We won't win many games in the SEC with this pitching staff but we won't win many with this offense either. We have ONE game in the SEC so far out of our first 7 that we have scored more than 5 runs. And that was the Vandy game after we were already down 11-3 and eventually lost 11-7. Our pitching will have to improve light years to win any games only ever scoring 5 runs or less.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
We won't win many games in the SEC with this pitching staff but we won't win many with this offense either. We have ONE game in the SEC so far out of our first 7 that we have scored more than 5 runs. And that was the Vandy game after we were already down 11-3 and eventually lost 11-7. Our pitching will have to improve light years to win any games only ever scoring 5 runs or less.
Yea, like 0 walks, hbp, wild pitches and passed balls….we pitch like that we can play some close games.
And we make enough errors, teams will still have base runners when their hits come.. I mean even the errors we score as hits.
Our pitchers should be pissed at our official scorer, he’s been killing their ERA’s all year**

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Better is encouraging but far from satisfying. Hopefully we won't follow the script from our previous two SEC weekends where we were competitive in one game with two blowouts.

Still way too many freebies (10), shaky defense and squandered scoring opportunities. Hope we can get something going but even if we do, barring an absolute miraculous turnaround, I think enough has happened already to seal the fates of some or all of our current leadership.
Well, tonight IS a blowout.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Hard to believe we had a starting pitcher throw 5 innings and not walk anyone! Wowser!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login