Well, the players don't seem to have given up

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
As interesting as last night's game was, this is not the first time we've seen MSU blow a big lead or win the game on the last play in my decades of watching MSU football. Admittedly, I was happy that at 24-6 I could comfortably float 3 other games that were equally as intriguing. Unfortunately, ours didn't end up a "mail-in" but -- we didn't totally implode (meaning outright lost).

Here's what I see/take-away from last night's performance:

1. Got a big lead and got comfortable - coaches and players. The mental part of being "clinical" and mantaining discipline of sticking to a game-plan is hard in any athletic competition, This separates the good form the great.

2. MSU needs to be pressed in order to perform. Again, this comes back to mental discipline -- it's easier to get serious when challenged. This is the reason we won at the end.

3. Special teams is a huge concern and it shouldn't be. PATs don't need to be "hold-your-breath" moments. The hallmark of MSU's better teams in the past has been solid ST, regardless of the coach.

4. When we get in a rhythm...we can be unstoppable.

Leach has given us a nice gimmicky offense along with colorful quotes and humor, and that's fine considering the debacle Moorehead left behind -- at least it's entertaining. I don't think Leach takes us to the "land of milk and honey," but we're not unwatchable.

I believe we have some good, solid player talent and exceptional student-athletes, but I can't help but wonder one thing:

If we had a coach like a Kirby Smart or a Brian Kelly where discipline and "doing your job" are Priority One, what might this team achieve?

Then again, we don't seem to handle suceess well at MSU, either -- Isn't that right, baseball fans?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
"If we had a coach like a Kirby Smart or a Brian Kelly where discipline and "doing your job" are Priority One, what might this team achieve?"

They'd transfer. A 4 or 5-* athlete doesn't come to Mississippi State to get yelled at. Georgia, Alabama, or LSU is different because they're elite program.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
"If we had a coach like a Kirby Smart or a Brian Kelly where discipline and "doing your job" are Priority One, what might this team achieve?"

They'd transfer. A 4 or 5-* athlete doesn't come to Mississippi State to get yelled at. Georgia, Alabama, or LSU is different because they're elite program.
More to the point: Can we build an 'elite' program?

ETA: I think its possible and if the leadership embraces the realities of NIL, good things can - and will - happen.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login