Well this Jerrel Powe thing took a strange turn...

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Cooper Leggett, 40 year old lawyer in Waynesboro arrested by US Marshalls Thursday for conspiracy, and transported to Ridgeland PD for booking. In connection with the kidnapping investigation. This dude is a Waynesboro socialite, and thows a huge party every year at his mega mansion house

Kingfish article
i think he was a mascot while at state?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Cooper Leggett, 40 year old lawyer in Waynesboro arrested by US Marshalls Thursday for conspiracy, and transported to Ridgeland PD for booking. In connection with the kidnapping investigation. This dude is a Waynesboro socialite, and thows a huge party every year at his mega mansion house

Kingfish article

Is there really such thing as a “Waynesboro socialite”?

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Is there really such thing as a “Waynesboro socialite”?
you'd be surprised. lot of fairly old money in waynesboro. Kelley's, Clark Oil family, TK Stanley family, and others. i don't live there, but have clients there that are well-connected. one of my clients actually gave me 4 tickets (yes tickets) to Leggett's yearly party a couple of years ago. My wife didn't want to go, so we didn't. smart lady

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
you'd be surprised. lot of fairly old money in waynesboro. Kelley's, Clark Oil family, TK Stanley family, and others. i don't live there, but have clients there that are well-connected. one of my clients actually gave me 4 tickets (yes tickets) to Leggett's yearly party a couple of years ago. My wife didn't want to go, so we didn't. smart lady
I thought TK Stanley people were from Jones?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I Googled Cooper M Leggett and there very little out there about him. What's his connection ?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Wow! Just guessing here, but maybe the victim owed Leggett money and he hired Powe and the CA white trash guy to "collect."

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Wow! Just guessing here, but maybe the victim owed Leggett money and he hired Powe and the CA white trash guy to "collect."
There was also quite a group of people in that area that "hepped Powe" while he was fine tuning his scholastic skills at OM. Powe probably still flunkies for a lot of them now.

Reactions: patdog

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I thought TK Stanley people were from Jones?
no. Wayne county people. always have been. That's where TK Stanley company headquarters were until the Duff brothers bought them. They still have a large operation in Waynesboro, along with old man TK's sawmill, that he started his company with. He had the sawmill, and when the oil boom of the early 70's hit, someone asked him if he could make the boards for the board roads the oil rigs needed to get to their sites. He said "hell yeah", and that's how he got into oil field hauling business.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Kingfish article
Bunch of s h i t going on in Wayne Co at the moment. The current sheriff totaled a brand new cruiser in the wee hours of the morning one day this past week. His stupid a s s left the scene, waited several hours and then called his buddy the Jones County Sheriff to send a deputy to pick up his a s s at the Wayne/Jones County Line and haul him to the hospital.

Turns out this Leggett guy is the board attorney for the Wayne County Board of Supervisors. So he was front and center on Thursday when the Supervisors called an emergency meeting to investigate the sheriff’s drunk a s s wreck and destruction of county property.

Later on Thursday night, the City of Ridgeland Police Department drove to Wayne County and arrested Leggett on conspiracy charges related to Jerrell Powe kidnapping deal.

Hey, Wayne County, what the f*ck are you doing?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
no. Wayne county people. always have been. That's where TK Stanley company headquarters were until the Duff brothers bought them. They still have a large operation in Waynesboro, along with old man TK's sawmill, that he started his company with. He had the sawmill, and when the oil boom of the early 70's hit, someone asked him if he could make the boards for the board roads the oil rigs needed to get to their sites. He said "hell yeah", and that's how he got into oil field hauling business.

I guess Duff beer is very profitable.

episode 16 beer GIF

AlSwearengen2

Nov 29, 2022

Kingfish article
So, it looks like these guys had invested in a medical marijuana business and felt like they have been ripped off? I saw in a DJ article that a woman from Texas had been arrested.

Can someone give a cliff note version of the story?

I have heard mention of people in hattiesburg being upset about their investments in the weed business. No idea if it is the same group.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
This sounds like the plot of a Greg Iles novel.
Gist of this sounds like a swindler pitched a $20 MM Mary Jane growing business to some less than business savvy "investors". When said investors saw swindler not constructing a Mary Jane growing operation and blowing money on himself, they wanted their $300,000 back that they invested. Apparently, Californian dude has a growing business out there and was brought in to help get it off the ground. Allegedly , Powe took matters into his own hands to get the money back. But Powe is saying the swindler set them up to get them arrested and off of his back. Somehow a Texas woman is also involved. Along with Leggett. Good lord, this one could get drawn out.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Only thing I’ll add is that U.S. Marshals don’t make a lot of arrests, in my experience, although they do have arrest powers. The more likely explanation is that local law enforcement as part of a task force made the arrest. The marshals wouldn’t be involved unless there’s an allegation that federal law has been violated. Which maybe it has been.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Only thing I’ll add is that U.S. Marshals don’t make a lot of arrests, in my experience, although they do have arrest powers. The more likely explanation is that local law enforcement as part of a task force made the arrest. The marshals wouldn’t be involved unless there’s an allegation that federal law has been violated. Which maybe it has been.
US Marshall's literally exist to find and arrest fugitives. It's what they do. Maybe you're thinking about the secret service.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
US Marshall's literally exist to find and arrest fugitives. It's what they do. Maybe you're thinking about the secret service.
Yes, fugitives. They don’t normally make a lot of arrests otherwise. I’ve been on government task forces before. That’s why I found this odd.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I remember this guy….yes, he was tight with Ricks guys and all the bball players.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login