Welp, That didn't last long.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Some of the guys in our British office were talking about “the idiots in charge” making the pound decrease to match the value of the dollar. I guess this was one of the idiots.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Some of the guys in our British office were talking about “the idiots in charge” making the pound decrease to match the value of the dollar. I guess this was one of the idiots.

Who knew that Reaganomics doesn't work? **

I kid (please note the sarcasterisks -- again for those of you with poor reading comprehension: PLEASE NOTE THE SARCASTERISKS).

But when you read these three paragraphs from this morning's NPR article:

Together with her friend and political ally Kwasi Kwarteng, Truss had entered office promising to cut taxes and kickstart the country's economic growth through a form of "trickle-down economics." But when Kwarteng announced major tax cuts to parliament, alongside new spending plans focused on protecting households from high energy prices, the country's currency plummeted in value, while the costs of government borrowing shot up.

As a consequence, British mortgage costs looked set to soar, while import costs rose for businesses as well, and over the course of several weeks, Truss was forced to reverse her plans piece by piece until eventually she sacked Kwarteng and replaced him with a former political rival, Jeremy Hunt, as finance minister.

Within days, Hunt had almost entirely canceled the remainder of Truss' economic program, and as opponents inside and outside her Conservative Party began calling for her to step down, another senior cabinet member, interior minister Suella Braverman, was herself forced to resign for sending a sensitive document from a personal email account. In her resignation letter, she expressed concern about "the direction of the government," and seemed to accuse Truss' actions in recent weeks of not constituting "serious politics." Braverman was replaced by another Conservative whom Truss had pushed out of her cabinet just six weeks earlier when she took office.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Who knew that Reaganomics doesn't work? **

I kid (please note the sarcasterisks -- again for those of you with poor reading comprehension: PLEASE NOTE THE SARCASTERISKS).

But when you read these three paragraphs from this morning's NPR article:
It’s almost as if governments having no fiscal responsibility causes inflation. Weird

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Reagonomics, once implemented did not produce immediate results but then an economic explosion happened here the likes world history had ever seen. Despite the tax cuts, revenues to The Treasury Doubled (23% increase when inflation is factored in).

It was President John F. Kennedy who called for a 30 percent across-the-board reduction in tax rates that ended the tyranny of a government that could take 90 cents in taxes out of a dollar of earnings. Kennedy argued correctly that the lower tax rates would "raise revenues in the long run." He was right; the lower tax rates spurred a burst of prosperity after he was tragically assassinated.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Thatcher Girl Same Awoo GIF - Thatcher Girl Same Awoo GIFs

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Reagonomics, once implemented did not produce immediate results but then an economic explosion happened here the likes world history had ever seen. Despite the tax cuts, revenues to The Treasury Doubled (23% increase when inflation is factored in).

It was President John F. Kennedy who called for a 30 percent across-the-board reduction in tax rates that ended the tyranny of a government that could take 90 cents in taxes out of a dollar of earnings. Kennedy argued correctly that the lower tax rates would "raise revenues in the long run." He was right; the lower tax rates spurred a burst of prosperity after he was tragically assassinated.

Under Reagan, taxes were not "cut". They were re-arranged. We cut income taxes and taxes on capital, and massively raised taxes on wages via SS, along with passing taxes on to state and local taxes as we cut federal services with the expectation the localities would pick them up. The resulting disincentive to work (along with wage cuts due to other policies), reduction in quality of services, and incentives to ship jobs overseas was a joy to corporate profits and thus stock markets, but the long term negatives of those effects we are still dealing with today.

Oct 17, 2022
supply chain issues and sanctions they chose to put on Putin are driving inflation. which Is why continued rate hikes achieve nothing but make the situation worse.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022

"tyrrany of government." What was more tyrannical, our progessive tax system or Jim Crow? "but then an economic explosion happened here the likes world history had ever seen." That boom included a lot of borrowing and government spending. Anyway, no one paid 90% of income in taxes. You had to meet an incredibly high threshold to have a small percentage of your income taxed at 90%, and there were also lots of loopholes. But, that was an absurdly high tax rate even in a progressive tax system. Good riddance. Reagan's top tax rate for the first 6 years of his presidency was around 50%. The economy did boom, though, supported by govt spending and not just tax cuts, and Reagan was a pretty good president. He deserves credit. But, the deficit shot up too. BTW, the economy was even better under Clinton and he increased taxes. The deficit declined and he left Bush with a budget surplus and a national debt of $5 trillion that was declining. Then we had a big tax cut, a war on terror, massive govt spending, etc., and our national debt is now around $30 trillion after two decades of government spending with tax rates lower than under Reagan's first term and also lots of loopholes for the wealthy that weren't in the Reagan plan. (But look at all the cool stuff we bought and now own with all that debt? Our great grandkids are gonna love us for all that awesome stuff we bought on credit, amirite?)

Anyway, don't have taxes too high or too low. Sometimes raising taxes doesn't affect economic growth negatively. Sometimes it does. Don't fall for bumper-sticker slogans about taxes (tax cuts don't pay for themselves). I'm fine with paying lower taxes but then the debt and deficit increases. I want lower taxes not because I think it's good for the national economy. It's good for me and my family and I don't need some larger issue to defend my desire to pay less in taxes. But, cutting taxes does increase the debt and deficit and no elected leaders who want to cut taxes seem interested in reducing spending except on things the other party supports.

Truss decided to cut taxes, especially on the wealthy and business, and increase immigration when conservatives in Britain really aren't all that libertarian. She was around 17% popularity. She embraced Reaganism and it didn't work. It's no longer the 1980s. Tory voters didn't see Truss offering anything but cutting taxes on the rich and increased immigration and electric bills. She ignored cultural issues. Then again, I don't really know what a conservative is today? Is it just someone who's loyal to a personality, rather than policies, as long as that personality insults the other team, owns the libs on social media, avoids vaccines and embraces authoritarianism? Culture generally unites conservatives. But Truss and the Tory leadership focused on economics instead. Conservatism cannot look for its identity today mainly in economics. Libertarianism appeals mainly to a small number of spectrumy, college-educated white dudes. We can smoke weed now. No need to be a libertarian.

Anyway, the social justice left is full of lunatics. Confront them.

I'm thinking 7-5 but hopefully 8-4 with a win in Oxford.

Reactions: Boom Boom

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Anybody who thinks Reagan preventing Jimmy Carter a 2nd term was a bad thing is an idiot. Millions of families moving from RENTING 800 Sq Ft Apartments to OWNING 1800 Sq Ft homes. Job Growth and Wage increases boomed. Reagan not ONCE had a Rep HOR which is where EVERY DIME is spent. He never had control of the budget and that's why he fought so hard for a line item veto. When you get a promotion and you get a big raise but your debt increases, is it your new job's fault or maybe spending habits? I'm done with this thread. This is a STATE sports board and I'm not gonna waste anymore time with left winged Kensyian dubmasses.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
they do NOT! governments don’t cause inflation. people cause inflation******
they do NOT! governments don’t cause inflation. people cause inflation******

Whew, with all do respect it may be a good idea to study what causes inflation a little more in depth.

While it's not as simple as putting it all on the government, the government can most certainly contribute to both cost push inflation and demand pull inflation. The current government has done both.

Narratives are efficient but they should always be challenged. This people causing inflation or corporate greed narrative that's somewhat of a Hail Mary right now deserves your critical though not blind parroting.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login