West Ham 2 Manchester City 2

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
The title race is back on. If Liverpool can get a win at Southampton Tuesday it will go down to the final day. That is going to be a tall order. Liverpool was absolutely gassed at the end of the FA Cup final yesterday. If we do get the win, we are at home to Wolves and City host Stevie G's Aston Villa on the last day.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Advantage Reds on the run in. Southampton & Wolves have both seemingly packed it in a few weeks ago.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Playing this soon after that 120 minute marathon Saturday is going to be tough. Several players from both sides could barely run at the end. We also have several carrying minor knocks who most likely won't be available. It's probably all for naught anyway because the odd are pretty high that City will beat Villa in Manchester.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just saw the lineup for the Southampton game today. Looks like Klopp is conceding the Premier League. Playing a lot of reserves. Even Minamino is getting a start. I think it's the right decision. The PL was lost when we dropped points to Tottenham and we will be decently rested for the Champions League final.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Just saw the lineup for the Southampton game today. Looks like Klopp is conceding the Premier League. Playing a lot of reserves. Even Minamino is getting a start. I think it's the right decision. The PL was lost when we dropped points to Tottenham and we will be decently rested for the Champions League final.
Van Dyke, Salah, and Robertson all had minor injuries and were subbed in the Cup Final. The rest were as gassed as I've ever seen a Klopp team at the end. Fabihno (sp?) was already hurt. He had no choice. 1-1 at the half, Minamino with the goal for Liverpool after Soton had opened the scoring. Looks like Gomez is done for the night too. VERY thin at the back on the bench. Henderson is going to have to come in and they will shift Milner to fullback. Henderson needed to be rested. if we don't get the win the title is City's. It probably is anyway. I don't seen Villa beating them.

Feb 20, 2011
Conceding a league title is acceptable with 2 games to go, in order to be rested when you'll have 4 days rest between today and the final EPL game, and 5 days rest between that game and the CL final?

Complete nonsense.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Southampton 1 Liverpool 2. It will go to the final day. If Liverpool wins and City don't, Liverpool wins the title. Any other results, City wins it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Looks like the dream of a quadruple is still alive. 2-1. It's an insane number of games in the last couple of months of the season though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Probably a poor choice of words. As Shankly pointed out, he really had no choice in rotating players.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
Today was Liverpool's 61st game which is very testing. They now play a 7th place team on Sunday. Then they play the Champions League Final. Liverpool has been playing a high press game which is even more exhausting. With this 63 game grind, the winner will be running on fumes. Even with the starters playing the final two games, it will be a grind. Klopp had to rest players to get over the finish line. The extra wear and tear of overtime in the FA Cup, on Saturday, didn't make anything easier? YNWA

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Today was Liverpool's 61st game which is very testing. They now play a 7th place team on Sunday. Then they play the Champions League Final. Liverpool has been playing a high press game which is even more exhausting. With this 63 game grind, the winner will be running on fumes. Even with the starters playing the final two games, it will be a grind. Klopp had to rest players to get over the finish line. The extra wear and tear of overtime in the FA Cup, on Saturday, didn't make anything easier? YNWA
Wolves are 8th, with very little to play for. They can not go 7th, which would get them into the third tier in Europe.

snoopdog

Mar 25, 2008
Who is “we” y’all are referring to…

I have thought about paying some attention to this but know nothing about the teams. Figured I could root for whoever “we” is

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I have thought about paying some attention to this but know nothing about the teams. Figured I could root for whoever “we” is
LIVERPOOL. I've been a fan since Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore were the two strikers, sometime in the mid 90s.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
LIVERPOOL. I've been a fan since Robbie Fowler and Stan Collymore were the two strikers, sometime in the mid 90s.

I just started watching in the last few years and their style of play has made me somewhat of a fan. I follow along but mostly have no idea what the quadruple is. I can understand the PL title and the promotion and relegation aspect but I really don't know about these other cups. I can tell they have played a lot of games recently. It has been fun learning the PL and I'm almost at the stage where I can enjoy a match without Liverpool in it.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I just started watching in the last few years and their style of play has made me somewhat of a fan. I follow along but mostly have no idea what the quadruple is. I can understand the PL title and the promotion and relegation aspect but I really don't know about these other cups. I can tell they have played a lot of games recently. It has been fun learning the PL and I'm almost at the stage where I can enjoy a match without Liverpool in it.
The Quadruple has never been done in England. It is composed of the League, The FA Cup (every English FA member club, right down to pub sponsored Sunday League clubs, is involved, literally hundreds of clubs), The League Cup (all the clubs in the top four English tiers, known as the Football League, participate), and the Champion's League (the former European Cup). The Upper level clubs are added to the draw at different stages in the two domestic cups. The Cups all used to be knockout style tournaments. The League Cup and FA Cup still are. They aren't seeded like we do here. Every club that wins in a round progresses to the next level. Their names are put in a bowl along with any upper level clubs entering AT THAT LEVEL. The matchup pairings for the next round are literally randomly drawn after each round. That's why you occasionally see a tiny club hosting an EPL giant. It's usually because they were lucky enough to be drawn against smaller clubs all the way through. The Champion's League is seeded and added the group stage thing a long time ago, it's a money spinner. You also used to actually have to win your domestic league to qualify too. That's the way it was the first four times Liverpool won it. In the UK Celtic won a Quadruple in Scotland, back in 1967 I believe.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
The simplest explanation is that a club like Man City or Liverpool is simultaneously in 4 different competitions. Two knock out tourneys, a World Cup style group and knockout tourney (Champions league which only the best clubs are in), and the league competition. To win all 4 would be the quad.

So in a month they might play a game from each of the knockouts, a couple of games from the Champions league, and several league games. Which is why it’s so hard to win them all. Your squad must be good and incredibly deep.

The NBA has toyed with having a cup competition separate from the league. Would be interesting to have a tourney of the lottery teams to determine draft order. Doubt it happens but it would be fun.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The Quadruple would be to win all 3 major competitions in England plus the European Champions League. Only 1 team in England has ever won 3 of these in one year. Only 7 teams in Europe have won 2 domestic competitions plus the Champions League (or European Cup before the CL). Competions are:

League Cup - Tournament format - all 92 full professional teams in Englands top 4 divisions compete - Liverpool won
FA Cup - Tournament format - open to all pro, semi-pro and amateur teams in England - Liverpool won
Premier League - pretty obvious but this is the regular season league - Liverpool trails Manchester City by 1 point with 1 game to play. If Liverpool beats Wolves and City loses or draws vs Aston Villa, Liverpool wins.
Champions League - top teams in Europe compete - Liverpool plays Real Madrid for the title next weekend

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015

The Premier League is fastly encroaching on the American sporting business culture as fast as the sports fans. This link will give you an example. Todd Boehly (sp) has just bought Chelsea and other American investors are lining up to get into the action because they see the future of the PL in North America as well as the other hemisphere. FYI the NFL is doing the same in the UK. The London sports scene is exploding right now both in Premier League and NFL, that is why it is only a matter of time for the Jaguars to make their move before someone else does ie the Chargers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHBnSvSDmQ8

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login