West Virginia won't be the last one for sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Cigarettes are killing current customers and condoms are killing future customers.*******

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Hope universities can figure out a pathway that involves keeping the humanities around in meaningful ways. I know STEM is en vogue, and it's obviously very important. It's also important to have folks who know "why" and not just "how".
“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Gee is not making a financial decision, he is making a political one. The WSJ shares that political goal, and has no compunction in lying to hide their intent. It takes a true scumbag to hide his political goals behind such ********.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You live a miserable life in this country without a college degree. There are always exceptions, but it’s crazy to walk into life without a degree.
Lots of people aren't cut out for college. I will say since grade inflation has made getting a college degree pretty easy and we are a credential obsessed country, I would recommend a lot of those people still go to community college and get the easiest degree they can as cheaply as they can. But there are still good jobs and careers that don't require a degree and by no means does not having a college degree mean you are going to live a miserable life unless you are some odd exception.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Lots of people aren't cut out for college. I will say since grade inflation has made getting a college degree pretty easy and we are a credential obsessed country, I would recommend a lot of those people still go to community college and get the easiest degree they can as cheaply as they can. But there are still good jobs and careers that don't require a degree and by no means does not having a college degree mean you are going to live a miserable life unless you are some odd exception.
Agreed.

My issue is when people (e.g., populist politicians) try to make the round pegs of career education work for square peg people (e.g., social workers - most of whom earn more than blue collar workers in the state)

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
You live a miserable life in this country without a college degree. There are always exceptions, but it’s crazy to walk into life without a degree.
That’s the kind of platitude that has awarded a lot of people a lot of wasted time and money. It’s also exactly the type of blue-collar vilification that has helped create a huge skills gap on this country that will take decades to correct.

College is not for everyone.
There’s a lot of degrees that do little for putting food on the table.
We need more tradesmen/women.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That’s the kind of platitude that has awarded a lot of people a lot of wasted time and money. It’s also exactly the type of blue-collar vilification that has helped create a huge skills gap on this country that will take decades to correct.

College is not for everyone.
There’s a lot of degrees that do little for putting food on the table.
We need more tradesmen/women.
Y’all are agreeing more than you’re disagreeing.

Folks with certificates and associate degrees make more than people with just a high school education.

Folks with bachelors, masters, and doctorates make more than people with just a high school education.

And many of those Folks are the same Folks.

Too many people don’t think of technical & community colleges the same way as four-year colleges though.

Reactions: SoulCatcher

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
What do you think the odds of the state covering it are? There isa reckoning coming in higher education.
Historically, 100%. He didn't even ask, AND he cut programs that were turning a profit. Bullshitters all around today.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Agreed.

My issue is when people (e.g., populist politicians) try to make the round pegs of career education work for square peg people (e.g., social workers - most of whom earn more than blue collar workers in the state)

Last I heard, social workers made crap.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’ll agree and disagree with this statement. A degree will certainly open doors that otherwise would not be opened but a piece of paper won’t keep you in the game. I don’t have a degree but I did spend three years at State getting an education. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without those three years but I also wouldn’t be where I’m at if I had finished my education and completed that degree. A smart driven person is going to be successful for the most part. Having goals and a plan is more important than a degree.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’ll agree and disagree with this statement. A degree will certainly open doors that otherwise would not be opened but a piece of paper won’t keep you in the game. I don’t have a degree but I did spend three years at State getting an education. I wouldn’t be where I’m at without those three years but I also wouldn’t be where I’m at if I had finished my education and completed that degree. A smart driven person is going to be successful for the most part. Having goals and a plan is more important than a degree.
It seems to me that to a large extent, a college degree tells potential employers that you will put up with a bunch of crap and finish something, and maybe learn something along the way. I would be curious how many people on here work directly in their degree field vs how many used the degree to get their first position and then just grew from there.

Reactions: Dawgg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The number of high school grads in Mississippi is projected to decline anywhere from 10-15% by 2029. Better have some good recruiters. The 2008 financial crisis was likely the biggest factor in the decline in the birthrate, something that is national but worse in some states. Nice job letting Wall Street do whatever it wanted and then bailing out them and the world with trillions in U.S. dollars and not prosecuting anyone. We had a budget surplus in 2001 and a national debt of $5 trillion and declining. And 22 years later take a peek at those numbers and ask what happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yeti and Boom Boom

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It seems to me that to a large extent, a college degree tells potential employers that you will put up with a bunch of crap and finish something, and maybe learn something along the way. I would be curious how many people on here work directly in their degree field vs how many used the degree to get their first position and then just grew from there.
I’ve never actually worked a day in the industry that I was studying in college but my education did contribute a lot to my success. Something that started 10-15 years ago was that manufacturing started hiring recently graduated engineers for middle management/ supervisory positions that would have previously gone to the hourly employee that had worked there 10-15 years and had worked his or her way up through the system. It was purely a financial decision because I could hire a 21 year old engineer cheaper than I could promote a 15 yr employee that was already in a leadership position but in the long run it was a poor decision because it stifled perceived advancement by hourly employees and as a rule the young College graduates were not long term employees.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's a credential that signals a certain degree of self-discipline and intelligence to potential employees.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
People with college degrees do well in society. It's still an income premium. Even Women's Studies degree holders can do well. We have a tax code that allows the super wealthy to create non-profits that hire people with these marginal degrees and they make more than roofers. Just don't go deeply in debt getting a degree.

Last edited:

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Gee is not making a financial decision, he is making a political one. The WSJ shares that political goal, and has no compunction in lying to hide their intent. It takes a true scumbag to hide his political goals behind such ********.

Separate state budgets for capital improvements. Universities sometimes get millions for buildings in state budgets, legislators get to brag about their support for universities, but little for regular operating expenses. Electricity for new buildings is often a major expense that comes out of the operating budget.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Republicans should have never abandoned universities nor ignored the trends on college campuses. Republican leaders just didn't seem to care. Now some humanities and social science programs have been taken over by the brain-addled social justice left, there are often many more Marxists than conservatives profs in those disciplines, and the grievance "studies" programs that have multiplied. Thus the left dominates the intellectual climate of many college campuses. Good luck getting students to engage in conservative ideas, ones that can turn them into thoughtful citizens who don't fall for utopian ideas or slogans from buffonish politicians. If you're a Republican, good luck becoming a college president even in a Red State.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Republicans should have never abandoned universities nor ignored the trends on college campuses. Republican leaders just didn't seem to care. Now some humanities and social science programs have been taken over by the brain-addled social justice left, there are often many more Marxists than conservatives profs in those disciplines, and the grievance "studies" programs that have multiplied. Thus the left dominates the intellectual climate of many college campuses. If you're a Republican, good luck becoming a college president even in a Red State.
Conservative intellectual thought at colleges has definitely declined.

Several of my grad school profs were conservative but I think they’ve all passed away now.

Reactions: MagicDawg and Yeti

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Conservative intellectual thought at colleges has definitely declined.

Several of my grad school profs were conservative but I think they’ve all passed away now.
Some sort of balance is good. Most of my profs at state were liberals but they weren't the social justice type. Good profs who made you think and I had a few conservatives too. I enjoyed it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Hope universities can figure out a pathway that involves keeping the humanities around in meaningful ways. I know STEM is en vogue, and it's obviously very important. It's also important to have folks who know "why" and not just "how".
If you wanna know why, you should probably get a degree in mechanical engineering and not a humanities.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This is extremely false
There are arguably too many degrees running around

you can be educated without a degree

You may make more money without a degree

You’ll certainly start off better financially after training/college with a good trade versus college

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Y’all are agreeing more than you’re disagreeing.

Folks with certificates and associate degrees make more than people with just a high school education.

Folks with bachelors, masters, and doctorates make more than people with just a high school education.

And many of those Folks are the same Folks.

Too many people don’t think of technical & community colleges the same way as four-year colleges though.
I’m willing to bet 57strat doesn’t consider boilermaker, pipe fitting, welding, electrical, etc training the same as a “college” education.

That’s ok I don’t either bc they aren’t the same. They aren’t equal. They are different.

Like you already said square pegs and round holes and such

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
A college degree adds 10% onto your life expectancy.

If the benefits of a degree could be bottled into pill form - every parent would make sure every child took it every day.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
You just don't like the programs he cut. You better get ready, because that's coming here too.
What's coming? This type of far right conservative ******** packaged in false concern? Been here a long time already, boyo.

But I agree. Any university that the far right wackos can get operating control of, they'll cut anything they perceive as liberal. And they'll lie as to what and why, and you'll promote their lies. Thats what Gee is doing, after you cut through the bullshite. And they mean to do it to a lot more than universities. It's the fascist playbook to a T.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If you wanna know why, you should probably get a degree in mechanical engineering and not a humanities.
Nah. You need a Conservative Humanities scholar to help you with debate.

MagicDawg quite possibly is the closest to being one on this here message board.

Reactions: MagicDawg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login