What a day.

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
I was just about to go to bed and decided that I would take a quick peek at Sixpack to see if anything happened today. Once again, I was not disappointed, and here I am an hour and a half later typing this post.

What is disappointing is that MSU is stuck w/out a president again. For the most part I liked Doc; it seemed he was getting a lot of things done and moving the university forward. But his style was not conducive to being a university president, and although change was needed, he was not the best person to administer that change. We need someone who is less of a "my way or the highway" type, but at the same time we don't need a pushover who gets run over by alumni, donors, the college board, or anyone else. There has to be a happy medium in someone, somewhere. And like I said, Doc has done a lot of good here, but has pissed off a lot of people in the process, and it seems to me that a lot of that was unnecessary and avoidable. That's not good.

But at the same time, this thing is a two-way street. We need to have alumni, faculty, students, etc. who are willing to work to make MSU better and not just serve their own little interests. And that involves being flexible with what the president is wanting to do and not getting defensive and staking out your territory. It seems that this has been going on for too long at MSU (like it does at other places), and it has to stop if this university will really prosper like it can.

I know that what I'm typing is nothing new to anyone, and I'm probably rambling at this point (it is 2 AM), but both sides of this whole ordeal have fault. And MSU just doesn't need this all of this crap. We have got to get some stability in our top leadership, which is why Doc leaving is a bad thing right now.

</p>

MSU CS 2004

Mar 7, 2008
BewareOfMSUDawg said:
We need someone who is less of a "my way or the highway" type, but at the same time we don't need a pushover who gets run over by alumni, donors, the college board, or anyone else. There has to be a happy medium in someone, somewhere.

I know that what I'm typing is nothing new to anyone...
</p>

It's a foreign concept to many people, actually. Every post I've read on the subject up until now seems to make one of two claims:</p>

1) Fogelsong was a jerk who was did not know how to lead a university. He never realized this wasn't the military. We're lucky to finally be rid of him. Or,
</p>

2) Fogelsong was the best president MSU has ever had! He was finally holding those liberal faculty accountable, and they hated that! This is the worst disaster MSU has ever faced! Our university is going to crumble now!
</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login