What am I missing

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
I've seen a lot of lists of potential coaches for us but I've hardly seen any with Jonathan Smith's name and I'm just wondering why? What he's done at Oregon State looks remarkably similar to what Leipold has done at Kansas. I would think he would be easier to pry away than Leipold too considering Oregon State is probably about to go to the Mountain West or something equivalent. What am I missing with him and why is he not getting much consideration? The only thing I can come up with is that he's a northwest guy.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I've seen a lot of lists of potential coaches for us but I've hardly seen any with Jonathan Smith's name and I'm just wondering why? What he's done at Oregon State looks remarkably similar to what Leipold has done at Kansas. I would think he would be easier to pry away than Leipold too considering Oregon State is probably about to go to the Mountain West or something equivalent. What am I missing with him and why is he not getting much consideration? The only thing I can come up with is that he's a northwest guy.
He played at Oregon State

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I mean… to be fair… the odds are kind of in favor of us having a coach named John Smith eventually…

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I see a couple concerns. West coast guy all around. Might be in line for UCLA job. Can the guy seal the deal on recruits in our area? He is a .500 coach in the PAC whatever.

1700078177131.png

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Oregon is his home turf as was already pointed out, but I love what he does, and it looks a lot like the best examples of Mississippi State football. And he's still young.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Smith would not leave Corvallis for a mid level P5 job at this point. He's either going to stay put or wait for a upper echelon west coast (UCLA) type job.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I see a couple concerns. West coast guy all around. Might be in line for UCLA job. Can the guy seal the deal on recruits in our area? He is a .500 coach in the PAC whatever.

View attachment 449878
Come on now, by that measure we shouldn’t want Leipold who is 15-20 at KU. Just looking at an overall record without context is pointless.

He took over a dumpster fire Oregon State program who went 1-11 and built them into a top 25 team. He’s 18-5 the last two years. He’d be a great hire, but I don’t think he’ll leave his Alma mater in their darkest hour.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Come on now, by that measure we shouldn’t want Leipold who is 15-20 at KU. Just looking at an overall record without context is pointless.

He took over a dumpster fire Oregon State program who went 1-11 and built them into a top 25 team. He’s 18-5 the last two years. He’d be a great hire, but I don’t think he’ll leave his Alma mater in their darkest hour.
This.

I host an Oregon State football watch party nearly every weekend at my pub. I listen to them every love on all things Jonathan Smith every Saturday. Smith is a proud Beaver and would not leave for Mississippi State. Texas A&M maybe. Florida maybe. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State... Nope.

Great coach. Could be at UCLA or even USC in a few years if the shine wears off Riley. I'd shìt a 3lb Tillamook cheese brick if he left for a Mississippi State or Arkansas type job 2000 miles from the PNW.

ETA. I'd love to have him. Their O-line play gives me stiffie so hard a cat couldn't scratch it.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
This.

I host an Oregon State football watch party nearly every weekend at my pub. I listen to them every love on all things Jonathan Smith every Saturday. Smith is a proud Beaver and would not leave for Mississippi State. Texas A&M maybe. Florida maybe. Arkansas, Ole Miss, Missouri, South Carolina, Mississippi State... Nope.

Great coach. Could be at UCLA or even USC in a few years if the shine wears off Riley. I'd shìt a 3lb Tillamook cheese brick if he left for a Mississippi State or Arkansas type job 2000 miles from the PNW.

ETA. I'd love to have him. Their O-line play gives me stiffie so hard a cat couldn't scratch it.
If it happens, just don’t put that cheese brick on your pizza

patdog

May 28, 2007
Smith would not leave Corvallis for a mid level P5 job at this point. He's either going to stay put or wait for an upper echelon west coast (UCLA) type job.
I don’t know that UCLA is going to be in a position to be much more competitive in the Big 10 than us in the SEC. That’s far from an upper echelon program historically. Only reason they got the invite was because they’d what it took to get USC.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login