What did y'all expect?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nobody runs the pure air raid anymore. It's as antiquated as the wishbone. What we have was built to run an offense that NOBODY since Leach died actually runs. What we are seeing is the MAIN reason I didn't want Leach to begin with. Obviously it should have been a few years down the road, but for you Leach fans, THIS was always coming. Heck, his offense didn't do much against teams with a pulse when HE was running it. Just suck it up buttercups. This is what you wanted.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yawn ZZZZZZZZZZ

tldr, something about Leach sucks yada yada yada
Actually no, he was the master of THE air raid, and he recruited to run it. It worked for HIM. He ain't here anymore, and the result is absolutely predictable. NOBODY runs the Mike Leach offense anymore. This was why the media gave us no respect despite all the returning players we had. Y'all better suck it up, Cohen taking the lazy road, as he always did in anything not called baseball, is his delayed parting gift to
us.

Reactions: WGWTFAon3

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ll agree his offense didn’t light up the scoreboard but it moved the ball. It got first downs and it stayed on the field. And that generally kept us in games and avoided the *** kicking we saw today.

You guys that want to excuse this **** away will excuse this **** away with anything. The fact is, Leach won 9 games with basically this exact same team. We will be lucky to get 6 this year. That’s a monumental coaching failure.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’ll agree his offense didn’t light up the scoreboard but it moved the ball. It got first downs and it stayed on the field. And that generally kept us in games and avoided the *** kicking we saw today.

You guys that want to excuse this **** away will excuse this **** away with anything. The fact is, Leach won 9 games with basically this exact same team. We will be lucky to get 6 this year. That’s a monumental coaching failure.
I agree, but the key fact is Leach is dead. His version of the air raid died with him. We have to move on. What we are in now is a transition. Arnett has this year, and this year ain't a disaster YET, and probably next year.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Actually no, he was the master of THE air raid, and he recruited to run it. It worked for HIM. He ain't here anymore, and the result is absolutely predictable. NOBODY runs the Mike Leach offense anymore. This was why the media gave us no respect despite all the returning players we had. Y'all better suck it up, Cohen taking the lazy road, as he always did in anything not called baseball, is his delayed parting gift to
us.
Stricklin and Cohen both did terrible jobs here, yet tripped up the stairs to bigger programs. It’s seeming more and more obvious to me that the biggest problem was their boss.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
While no one runs Leach's exact system, Arnett could have hired a coordinator who would run something similar instead of doing a 180 just for ***** and giggles. Just a completely moronic decision from our coach who only got the job "to keep continuity from Leach"
Again, NOBODY runs what Leach ran, NOBODY. It died with him, and it didn't do much when HE was running it against defenses with a pulse. Don't pretend we were some sort of offensive juggernaut under Leach, because were were NOT, not even close.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Nobody runs the pure air raid anymore. It's as antiquated as the wishbone. What we have was built to run an offense that NOBODY since Leach died actually runs. What we are seeing is the MAIN reason I didn't want Leach to begin with. Obviously it should have been a few years down the road, but for you Leach fans, THIS was always coming. Heck, his offense didn't do much against teams with a pulse when HE was running it. Just suck it up buttercups. This is what you wanted.
So, you’re like what 4 ? You didn’t see Leach sodomize the defending NC in Death Valley w/ the AR?

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
He’s a lame shill who thinks he can excuse t
us.
Yea I’ve heard this spin before. It’s stale and doesn’t work any more. Come up with some new bs to bamboozle the fan base.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
posted this in july

Legit question. We have the personal to run the air raid. We’ve practiced it 3 years. Why not go get an air raid guy and keep the train moving? I think we have good players but I can’t see this offense working with pass block first trained lineman and an air raid slow of foot QB. Hope I’m wrong.

guess i was right

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
posted this in july

Legit question. We have the personal to run the air raid. We’ve practiced it 3 years. Why not go get an air raid guy and keep the train moving? I think we have good players but I can’t see this offense working with pass block first trained lineman and an air raid slow of foot QB. Hope I’m wrong.

guess i was right
No you are right, but the booger eaters will answer “Leach ran a antiquated system and ..” other such used car salesman slight of hand, not answering for any of the hot garbage we see on the field

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
posted this in july

guess i was right
I’ve been posting it all year

Reactions: blitz2Win

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Leach didn't win 9 games and this isn't basically the same team. But this staff is bad.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Yea I’ve heard this spin before. It’s stale and doesn’t work any more. Come up with some new bs to bamboozle the fan base.
So your evidence that it worked against a defense with a pulse? If you have it let's see it.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
posted this in july

guess i was right
Because we committed to an antiquated offense that nobody other than Leach ran we were always going to have to suffer through this for a few years? Some of us tried to warn you.

• Sad

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

So give me some actual evidence how dominate we were running the air bone. Convince me.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve been posting it all year
Yeah you did. Hindsight is 20/20 but I said last December we should have given Arnett the interim title and kept the Leach staff for this season. Especially if we planned to stay loyal to Rogers.

I was told that would screw recruiting. Maybe but no more so than having a losing '23 season and rumors of a first coach on the hotseat in 24.

Anyways, making the move we did.... we should have let Rogers transfer as a Grad student and gone all in on Wright.

Oh well..... just get to six wins.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Because NOBODY ran the Leach offense, NOBODY. This was always coming post Leach, 2023 or 2033.

You act like what we are seeing was the only option to transition away from Leach.

We could have hired an air raid OC to ease the transition through similar concepts/terminology, we could have hired an OC with a proven track record/experience implementing a new offense or we could have flipped the roster through the portal to fit what Barbay wants to do.

Instead, CZA hired non-air raid, inexperienced OC (that he didn’t even know) that has decided to ask Leach’s players to run a completely different that doesn’t play to their strengths.

I don’t get why you are dying in this hill. We had 3 reasonable options to try to move away from Leach & CZA decided picked none of them.

This level of ineptitude was not inevitable.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The Air Raid worked and Rogers ...well just look at wins and pass yards. We were competitive and won a lot of games even with a pitiful kicker. With Rogers coming back, and no experienced QB but Wright, it might not have been wise to transition too much from that system. He has limitations. That was just a dominating performance from LSU, I've seen too many of those games before. We'll see whether the coaches can figure this out. LSU is likely gonna win the West. This doesn't look like a system for Will. Not sure if it's one anyone on the bench will do well in.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You act like what we are seeing was the only option to transition away from Leach.

We could have hired an air raid OC to ease the transition through similar concepts/terminology, we could have hired an OC with a proven track record/experience implementing a new offense or we could have flipped the roster through the portal to fit what Barbay wants to do.

Instead, CZA hired non-air raid, inexperienced OC (that he didn’t even know) that has decided to ask Leach’s players to run a completely different that doesn’t play to their strengths.

I don’t get why you are dying in this hill. We had 3 reasonable options to try to move away from Leach & CZA decided picked none of them.

The easiest and most logical thing was simply to keep Spurrier and Hollingshead, you know, extend them some grace, just like Keenum did to Arnett.

That's what really alerted me to the coming disaster.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
us.
What is the air raid? They run it all over the NFL and at a lot of colleges. Yes. It is modified but it IS the air raid. There are a lot of Leach assistants that are head coaches. They just have better offensive lines so they get more rushing yards and have more mobile QBs.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Cohen taking the lazy road, as he always did in anything not called baseball, is his delayed parting gift to us.
It could have been worse. Cohen wanted Joe Judge.

I never wanted Leach, but I don't see his hire as "lazy". It was practically pulling a rabbit out of a hat. It also looked like a reaction to the Kiffin hire.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I’m laughing because for years you’ve been anti-Air Raid and now you’re FOR it?

Dude. You ain’t Marie Antoinette.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. 😂

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
IM GUESSING THAT IF THERE AINT A COMPLAINT BOX IN HEAVEN THAT YOUD BE FINE WITH GOING TO HELL —- NOT SAYING JUST SAYING

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I’m laughing because for years you’ve been anti-Air Raid and now you’re FOR it?

Dude. You ain’t Marie Antoinette.

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. 😂
You misread that. I was and am anti-Air Raid. This was always coming when we had to hire a new coach. It's one of the main reasons I didn't like the Leach hire from the beginning.

• Sad

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You misread that. I was and am anti-Air Raid. This was always coming when we had to hire a new coach. It's one of the main reasons I didn't like the Leach hire from the beginning.
Semantics.

You dislike the Air Raid but at the same time you don’t want to get away from the Air Raid.

#FootballCodependency

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Those 3 options are really all nonexistent.

We’re not a “flip the roster through the portal” type of school, for obvious reasons. And even if we were, we were already very late in the portal cycle when Arnett came on board, and we were already past it when Barbay joined.

Hire an OC with a proven track record? Sure, like Kendall Briles? We tried and failed. Anyone else with a proven track record that we didn’t call?

Regarding the final option….its been said before but people still just don’t get it…there is no other variation / knock-off / derivative / whatever of the Air Raid that works with Rogers. Rogers was a Leach Air Raid archetype, to a T. Go look at every Leach QB ever. All of them are unathletic, awkward, bumbling, non-physical players with no real measurables that nobody wanted….except they could all throw pretty accurately and on time on short and intermediate routes. With those guys, you throw the ball 70 f-ing percent of the time because you have to. It neutralizes every talent disadvantage. All those elite LB’s and DE’s can’t blitz because you’ll get eaten alive on the checkdowns. That’s what made the Leach Air Raid what it was, the ability to get above average results out of players who, quite frankly, aren’t good. Mediocre talent at QB could be replaced over and over with more mediocre QB talent, with consistent results. That’s why Leach worked at MSU, because our offensive recruiting has sucked left hind tit for 120 years compared to our league counterparts, and there is no sign of that ever changing….but it didn’t matter with his system.

In today’s college football….if you aren’t Alabama or UGA or Ohio State, you can’t run the ball at all if you don’t have a running QB. That means us this year. You go to a “modified Air Raid” and ask Will to start checking into zone reads and shít, how well do you really think that’s going to work? There was no transition to a system that works with this godawful group of offensive talent. That is THE problem, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Blame Leach or Moorhead or our boosters or whoever, but that is the real issue. We don’t have good football players on offense, at all, outside of Tulu and Marks. And I’ll tell you two people who certainly aren’t responsible for that….Arnett and Barbay.

That doesn’t mean I love the job they are doing so far. Hell, the defense has been pure trash, too, which is the biggest indictment on Arnett that nobody really wants to talk about for whatever reason. But people don’t really seem to grasp how much of a shìt hand they were dealt with this awful roster on offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: knock him out john

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
All these arguments are moot. The fact is we are where we are and there is no turning back. Done is done. This defense was never that awesome even everybody bragged on it constantly. We had one shut down corner. Legit shutdown corner. We just have to face the fact that we are looking at 2 years minimum of garbage. There will be no bowl games. Next year will be even worse. Recruiting is going in the dumpster when we go 3 and 8. There is nothing left to argue about. Nobody is gonna get fired. We are simply 17d. And none of these new coaches have improved anything. The only part of this team that doesn't suck is coached by Mele. A Leach hire. So far Friend, Schmidt, Turner and Bump suck. And Mcbath. Almost forgot him. And Arnett. Worse is the only thing we got

Reactions: Maroon13

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If you think it's bad now wait til Nov 24th. But I'm ready to put MW in and see how he performs with extended playing time. Like 4 17n quarters. And me personally I would play Parson extended minutes against Western Michigan. Get working on the future.

Reactions: 77Dog
Nov 25, 2019
Those 3 options are really all nonexistent.

We’re not a “flip the roster through the portal” type of school, for obvious reasons. And even if we were, we were already very late in the portal cycle when Arnett came on board, and we were already past it when Barbay joined.

Hire an OC with a proven track record? Sure, like Kendall Briles? We tried and failed. Anyone else with a proven track record that we didn’t call?

Regarding the final option….its been said before but people still just don’t get it…there is no other variation / knock-off / derivative / whatever of the Air Raid that works with Rogers. Rogers was a Leach Air Raid archetype, to a T. Go look at every Leach QB ever. All of them are unathletic, awkward, bumbling, non-physical players with no real measurables that nobody wanted….except they could all throw pretty accurately and on time on short and intermediate routes. With those guys, you throw the ball 70 f-ing percent of the time because you have to. It neutralizes every talent disadvantage. All those elite LB’s and DE’s can’t blitz because you’ll get eaten alive on the checkdowns. That’s what made the Leach Air Raid what it was, the ability to get above average results out of players who, quite frankly, aren’t good. Mediocre talent at QB could be replaced over and over with more mediocre QB talent, with consistent results. That’s why Leach worked at MSU, because our offensive recruiting has sucked left hind tit for 120 years compared to our league counterparts, and there is no sign of that ever changing….but it didn’t matter with his system.

In today’s college football….if you aren’t Alabama or UGA or Ohio State, you can’t run the ball at all if you don’t have a running QB. That means us this year. You go to a “modified Air Raid” and ask Will to start checking into zone reads and shít, how well do you really think that’s going to work? There was no transition to a system that works with this godawful group of offensive talent. That is THE problem, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Blame Leach or Moorhead or our boosters or whoever, but that is the real issue. We don’t have good football players on offense, at all, outside of Tulu and Marks. And I’ll tell you two people who certainly aren’t responsible for that….Arnett and Barbay.

That doesn’t mean I love the job they are doing so far. Hell, the defense has been pure trash, too, which is the biggest indictment on Arnett that nobody really wants to talk about for whatever reason. But people don’t really seem to grasp how much of a shìt hand they were dealt with this awful roster on offense.
great insight. We have dropped a level on D. Why can't we modify an air raid type offense for one year and get through with running it more in certain situations? Wright needs to see the field more. Will was all over the place with is passes.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login