What do y'all think about this?

msubullie4life

Jun 4, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Croom has been studying various offenses on film to steal some ideas. After spring drills conclude, hes going to visit some coaches at other schools to get more advice. He wouldnt go into detail as to which schools._________________________________________________
From Greg Ellis' blog...

djbulldogs.wordpress.com/

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That's something I think every coach should do every off-season. You can't continue to have success unless you are constantly adapting. If something else is working for someone else, you should look and see if it can work for you.

Edited to add: Most coaches do this every off-season, and I'm sure Croom has been as well. I'm guessing that maybe he's just putting more of an emphasis on it this off-season.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
You're right, but that's why you study other teams, to try to find teams that may have comparable personnel to yours that are having success. All the best coaches are constantly tweaking and changing their offenses and defenses based on what they see. If you're too stubborn or proud to steal ideas from other places, you won't last long in coaching.

For instance, no one else in the country has a Tim Tebow, so it would be stupid for anyone to try to completely emulate their entire offense and expect the same results, but that doesn't mean there aren't pieces of that offense that might work for a given school.

muddawgs33

Aug 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________I'm sure Croom has been as well._________________________________________________

I think you are giving Croom too much credit. I seriously doubt Croom has ever asked about any offense except for the WCO until this season. Apparently, it takes 4 years of finishing in the 100's in offense for him to get off his stubborn *** and just find something that will get us out of the cellar on offense. And, I will add that I am still not sold on any new offense until I see it with my own two eyes. I think we will still see the same ole **** except maybe Carroll runs the spread option 4 times a game instead of once.

Oct 14, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Very little new stuff has been introduced. However, of the new formations that have been implemented, quarterback Wesley Carroll said he likes them. And yes, its still going to be the West Coast offense._________________________________________________

So much for changing offenses.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login