What do you think is the real problem with baseball?

Aug 22, 2012
Throwing out talent since we are basically Bama playing UAB at this point. What is the real issue?

Horrible base running and little league run downs on defense. Horrible two strike hitting approaches.

I don't think actual effort is the problem but I could be convinced otherwise.

Pitchers are finally attacking and not nibbling and walking the bases full.

Reactions: 17itdawg

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Throwing out talent since we are basically Bama playing UAB at this point. What is the real issue?

Horrible base running and little league run downs on defense. Horrible two strike hitting approaches.

Our coach lost weight!!***

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

It usually doesn't come down to just one thing. I think we lack talent, recruiting services be damned. We're not getting the best of the best in the portal either. We're getting plan B guys. That's the truth. I remember Lemonis saying pre-season that "our guys have a little chip on their shoulder". I don't see the that thus far. I also don't see a lot of progression and player development (just look at Dakota). We could probably sit here half the night and point out **** but whatever it is I don't think it can be turned around by Lemonis.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The real issue is talent. The real problem is the new NIL and transfer portal. Because of the problem, things are not the same with regards to us and everyone else. Overall, things are different now, and that’s the real issue.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Lemonis is soft....and a poor evaluator of talent.....we have 3-4 good hitters and 3-4 good pitchers....thats not going to cut it in SEC play and he has had PLENTY of time to recruit at the highest level on the back of a Natty.....even if we turn this thing around, and make it to the semis of the CWS, he is not the long term plan.....30-24 aint gonna cut it this year, or last....and at this point, we are praying for it....

Aug 22, 2012
The real issue is talent. The real problem is the new NIL and transfer portal. Because of the problem, things are not the same with regards to us and everyone else. Overall, things are different now, and that’s the real issue.
Talent isn't the issue unless you actually think that GA Southern, Air Force, and the Pee have out recruited us. We haven't played anyone with more talent and we are still getting our *** kicked.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why would you throw out talent? It’s obvious.

Toughness is a part of the talent equation. What I’m saying is, it’s something about the players that Lemonis brings in.

If college coaches fail, it’s because the players aren’t good enough to do what the coach wants them to do. Bottom line

Last edited:
Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The real problem is obviously 100% the fault of those demons in the Left Field Lounge that don't let anybody except people they know come in and eat their food and drink their drinks and sit in their meager space. They obviously don't pay enough for those spots nor contribute enough to the Bulldog Club because we aren't winning. Damn ESPN for thinking that the LFL is a nationally unique feature worthy of note on a broadcast, we want them to keep thinking we're poor and downtrodden here in little ole Starkville. We obviously need to tear those down and put a bunch of general admission aluminum bleachers up out there like we had in the 90's and charge $2.50 per seat and we would be so much better off. We also need to downgrade the quality of the chicken tenders in the roof top seating area and Dugout Club and make them pay extra for cups of ice. Once our players hear all of that they will INSTANTLY start hitting the ball, stop giving up 5 plus hits in the 1st inning, remember what they were taught in little league about how to do a proper rundown, and opponents will stop stomping on home plate and saying mean things from their dugout! Hail State, Banner M- State, Script State, Walking Bully State or Whatever the Freaking State, we suck and it needs to change

Aug 22, 2012
^^ this is a guy who did not watch the games
Do you really think that when you went out recruiting 3 or 4 years ago that you would choose any of the Air Force, GA Southern, or Pee players?

I realize that it is easy to just say that Dylan Cupp wouldn't make any of those 3 teams but the truth is everybody that knows recruiting says that he is one of the top freshman shortstops in the SEC before the season started. D1 Baseball said that he would be one of the top freshman in the SEC.

Does any of those teams have a Golden Spikes watch list player?

We have a guy who hit 22 bombs while hitting.300 last year. I guess everyone on those **** teams have more talent than that guy?

Larry was ranked as a top ten college 2nd baseman. I guess all the teams we played have better talent in the infield.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It usually doesn't come down to just one thing. I think we lack talent, recruiting services be damned. We're not getting the best of the best in the portal either. We're getting plan B guys. That's the truth. I remember Lemonis saying pre-season that "our guys have a little chip on their shoulder". I don't see the that thus far. I also don't see a lot of progression and player development (just look at Dakota). We could probably sit here half the night and point out **** but whatever it is I don't think it can be turned around by Lemonis.
Hell 2 years ago we ended up with maybe the second best position player in the portal and we still sucked. Imagine where we would be without the portal.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The real problem is obviously 100% the fault of those demons in the Left Field Lounge that don't let anybody except people they know come in and eat their food and drink their drinks and sit in their meager space. They obviously don't pay enough for those spots nor contribute enough to the Bulldog Club because we aren't winning. Damn ESPN for thinking that the LFL is a nationally unique feature worthy of note on a broadcast, we want them to keep thinking we're poor and downtrodden here in little ole Starkville. We obviously need to tear those down and put a bunch of general admission aluminum bleachers up out there like we had in the 90's and charge $2.50 per seat and we would be so much better off. We also need to downgrade the quality of the chicken tenders in the roof top seating area and Dugout Club and make them pay extra for cups of ice. Once our players hear all of that they will INSTANTLY start hitting the ball, stop giving up 5 plus hits in the 1st inning, remember what they were taught in little league about how to do a proper rundown, and opponents will stop stomping on home plate and saying mean things from their dugout! Hail State, Banner M- State, Script State, Walking Bully State or Whatever the Freaking State, we suck and it needs to change

That whole LFL conversation has you all up in your feels.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That whole LFL conversation has you all up in your feels.
Explain to me how it makes our team worse please? Nobody has so far. I'm open to suggestions, yes I hang out there periodically with friends but I can damn sure assure you it's not our fault we suck

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think Lemonis believed the hype after the national championship year and got lazy. Recruiting suffered and fundamental baseball suffered. It also seems he and the staff went all in with analytics (without really understanding what they were doing) and tried to coach every player into the "correct" mode of play with no regard to that player's strengths or weaknesses.

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think any fans have an impact. That entire LFL debate reminds me of Polk's last teams going off the rails and him blaming big crowds making the team nervous.

Reactions: TNDawg1

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That couldn't be further from the truth. Today after 1 inning there were multiple conversations among multiple different groups in multiple boxes about this product on the field. And for those that claim to have never been invited to partake, they need to know a lot of those seemingly good ole boys in t shirts and flip flops out there aren't just country bumpkins. Some but obviously not not all are the same guys pulling the strings elsewhere otherwise they wouldn't still be out there

Aug 22, 2012
I think Lemonis believed the hype after the national championship year and got lazy. Recruiting suffered and fundamental baseball suffered. It also seems he and the staff went all in with analytics (without really understanding what they were doing) and tried to coach every player into the "correct" mode of play with no regard to that player's strengths or weaknesses.
I can see that. It seems every player is trying to hit a Homer because analytics now say sacrifice strikeouts and basic hits for homers. It even seems that way if we have runners on down by one with two outs. Screw hitting it the other way for the win, it is walkoff Homer or lose for this team.

Reactions: TNDawg1

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeah but recruiting for 2022 and 23 teams were done by the time we won the title. I don’t think anything changed with Lemonis. He just isn’t built for this.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Lfl. We used to have talent on the field to help distract from that glaring flaw.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I'm going to disagree with some people in that I think we actually have talent on the roster. I think our recruiting strategy shifted too much to more top rated travel ball guys instead of mixing those types with some good ol' dirtbag ball players.

I also question our leadership amongst the players and the coaching staff. We don't seem to have any players that want the ball or be up to bat with the game on the line. As for the coaching staff it's easy to lead a team with a Landon Sims, TA, or Mangum.

LimaoCabeca

Nov 17, 2022
Our mid level big 10 baseball coach is performing like a mid level big 10 baseball coach. He coasted to the title on the back of generational players. Anyone could’ve won a title with those players.

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm going to disagree with some people in that I think we actually have talent on the roster. I think our recruiting strategy shifted too much to more top rated travel ball guys instead of mixing those types with some good ol' dirtbag ball players.

I also question our leadership amongst the players and the coaching staff. We don't seem to have any players that want the ball or be up to bat with the game on the line. As for the coaching staff it's easy to lead a team with a Landon Sims, TA, or Mangum.
We have one 2nd team All-SEC selection. That's not nearly enough talent for a program with our resources and history.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
I can see that. It seems every player is trying to hit a Homer because analytics now say sacrifice strikeouts and basic hits for homers. It even seems that way if we have runners on down by one with two outs. Screw hitting it the other way for the win, it is walkoff Homer or lose for this team.
And we have been doubled up in the home-run category by the visiting teams so far this season. ANALytics have a place in the game but are not the whole game. If GoPro is preaching launch angle he sucks at it with all the ground ball outs that happened today.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Lfl. We used to have talent on the field to help distract from that glaring flaw.
Yeah because 100% support from those "glaring" fans is so wrong? Have you never seen our players embrace the outfield fans? For decades the outfielders and the whole team have gotten to know the lounge fans and keep coming back for years after their playing days to see them. After last year's walk off did you miss Dakota running out there and ripping his shirt off and jumping into the arms of the fans? He didn't go running into the chairbacks for some popcorn and a pat on the head. Ask Jake Magnum about those terrible outfield fans, his dad stood out there every game in his career in center field instead of sitting in the stands. Where do the players go after a big win when they are pumped? Do they line up behind home plate, hell no. As much as some of you want to make them, the outfield fans aren't the problem with MSU baseball

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Yeah because 100% support from those "glaring" fans is so wrong? Have you never seen our players embrace the outfield fans? For decades the outfielders and the whole team have gotten to know the lounge fans and keep coming back for years after their playing days to see them. After last year's walk off did you miss Dakota running out there and ripping his shirt off and jumping into the arms of the fans? He didn't go running into the chairbacks for some popcorn and a pat on the head. Ask Jake Magnum about those terrible outfield fans, his dad stood out there every game in his career in center field instead of sitting in the stands. Where do the players go after a big win when they are pumped? Do they line up behind home plate, hell no. As much as some of you want to make them, the outfield fans aren't the problem with MSU baseball
Looks as though your sensitivities definitely are a problem considering the lengthy reply to a tongue in cheek comment.

Need a Pamprin ?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have to agree that we have not played a team yet this year that has more talent than we do. Thats crazy to think AP is a more talented team. They are a better team obviously but not because they signed better players. This is a coaching issue. Lemonis will never solve this issue. Everybody needs firing except maybe Parker. Some of out current players are probly ruined due to poor development but if we don't get rid of the coaches it will continue. Beat by GS AP and AF ? C'mon man. Beat soundly in some cases. You are never gonna win.all the games but this is terrible. When we hit SEC play the name Runrulemonis will kick back in.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
At the end of the day Selmon will ask Lemonis “What more could we have given you ?” The room will fall silent. He probably already asked that question in a different tense.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020

What is our current team batting average?? Anyone?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Seriously, it's a lack of talent and leadership. The only coaching problem I see is that it looks like the Hitting coach is wanting everybody to pull the ball. When you're in a slump, one way to get out of it is to hit to the opposite field. Unfortunately, everybody is trying to be Joey Gallo (bats .220 but hits 40 home runs).

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Seriously, it's a lack of talent and leadership. The only coaching problem I see is that it looks like the Hitting coach is wanting everybody to pull the ball. When you're in a slump, one way to get out of it is to hit to the opposite field. Unfortunately, everybody is trying to be Joey Gallo (bats .220 but hits 40 home runs).
While we don’t have the talent some think..and it’s very hard to measure leadership especially on a bad team. This team is incredidly bad fundamentally, just see the two run downs last night and the one earlier against AF.…. That’s coaching. Also the ability to put the right players in the right position is coaching as well. Keeping a catcher a 1b and in the 5 hole all last season even though he was the worst 1b in the sec, is coaching. I could list more examples but I’ll stop….

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login