What do you think of the 'sip?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
First time I ever heard the sip term it came from Lane Kiffin. Perhaps I just wasn’t aware but if it came out of Oxford it is already dead to me.
Been used for at least a couple of decades, long before Lane/OM started using it.

I like the term and use it all the time.

The Urban Dictionary entry for the 'Sip is dated 2005.

My uncle married a gal from GA. I remember in the 90s/early 2000s his GA grandkids talking about "coming to the 'Sip" to visit.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What I think of when I hear 'sip'...

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I like it as it stands out outside MS. I get to say it and then explain the tradition of MS high school/college/pro studs!

I like the idea to keep it generic to MS to help all schools in the SIP!!

ETA: last comment related to creating our own slice of it just means more by focusing on our own State.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Personally, I hate it. Now there is a "Serve the Sip" commercial. I'm looking forward to this term fading away.
Folks in and around Southaven have been calling that area "The Tip of the Sip" for many years.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Folks in and around Southaven have been calling that area "The Tip of the Sip" for many years.
Interesting, my dad lived in Olive Branch and in all my years of visiting him I never heard anyone use that reference.

Reactions: patdog

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I think it’s some contrived bs. If you’re a native, you know good and well all you have to do is pronounce it naturally, like every other native of the state. Mis’ssippi. Anything else separates natives from contrived bs.
If you actually pronounce it Mis'ssippi, you are both an embarrassment to yourself as well as your state.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login