What does…

What [ 6 / 2(1+2)] equal?

• Total voters

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
You have to distribute the 2 to the parenthesis before dividing. This is included in PEMDAS

Reactions: eckie1

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
The answer is to all multiple questions is that "Missouri should not be in the SEC" if that is an option. Hell, it might be the answer as a write-in option. Just go to one football game in Columbia, Missouri - it ain't like all the rest of the conference, Vandy has an incredible game day atmosphere by comparison.

Reactions: patdog

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The answer is to all multiple questions is that "Missouri should not be in the SEC" if that is an option. Hell, it might be the answer as a write-in option. Just go to one football game in Columbia, Missouri - it ain't like all the rest of the conference, Vandy has an incredible game day atmosphere by comparison.
They should drop Missouri and get Clemson.

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
6 / 2(1+2) = 6 ÷ 2 * (1+2)
= 6 ÷ 2 * 3
= 3 * 3
= 9

drumrcraig

Aug 22, 2012
You have to distribute the 2 to the parenthesis before dividing. This is included in PEMDAS
Nope. PEMDAS only refers to calculating what is in the parentheses first, then then it is no different than 6/2*3

Engineer and son of a retired math teacher. This has been drilled into me for far too long.

See here: https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/

Having said all that, I still voted for Missouri to not be in the SEC.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
6 / 2(1+2) = ?
I swear I was taught to figure out whatever is in parenthesis first, then figure out what is connected to the parenthesis, and then figure out the problem.

So...
1+2= 3
2x3= 6
6/6=1

But its been a moment since I actually had to use any of this, so I guess that isnt how I was taught?

Whatever- I voted that Mizzou should go back to the Big12.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That depends:

Is this the same equation?

---------------
2(1+2)​

ETA: It's not spacing correctly when I post it.
My understanding is that it's more like:

___ * (1+2)

ETA: If he had included all of 2(1+2) in a second parentheses like 6/(2(1+2)), then it would have been what you described.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I swear I was taught to figure out whatever is in parenthesis first, then figure out what is connected to the parenthesis, and then figure out the problem.

So...
1+2= 3
2x3= 6
6/6=1

But its been a moment since I actually had to use any of this, so I guess that isnt how I was taught?

Whatever- I voted that Mizzou should go back to the Big12.
After what's in the parenthesis has been solved, it's just a regular number. If there's an operator (*/+-) before it, you follow the operator and its order within PE(MD)(AS). If there's no operator, you assume multiplication as if it had a * or X in front of it.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Nope. PEMDAS only refers to calculating what is in the parentheses first, then then it is no different than 6/2*3

Engineer and son of a retired math teacher. This has been drilled into me for far too long.

See here: https://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2016/08/31/what-is-6÷212-the-correct-answer-explained/

Having said all that, I still voted for Missouri to not be in the SEC.
I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong. Distributing to the Parenthesis is part of the P in PEMDAS

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Answer is 9. Put it in any scientific calculator, you get 9.

The problem is, it's not an everyday application. That '/' is seldom used in this way, and I can't come up with any logical use for that equation. Most any time this would be used in real life, this would be shown as either a fraction, or with parentheses around the '2(2+1)'.

So, technical answer is 9, but it SHOULD be 1. Whole equation is just meant to confuse.

Aug 3, 2011
I refuse to answer these types of questions on principle, because I'm a stickler for always using parentheses when there's any room for interpretation.
Agreed, the problem is that it is a poorly written problem.

The main issue with this one is the implicit multiplication of the 2 and (1+2). There isn’t a universal standard and that is why you will get different answers. Some believe implicit multiplication should be resolved first, others say treat it like a multiplication sign. However, all of it could be solved by defining the problem better without using implicit multiplication.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Agreed, the problem is that it is a poorly written problem.

The main issue with this one is the implicit multiplication of the 2 and (1+2). There isn’t a universal standard and that is why you will get different answers. Some believe implicit multiplication should be resolved first, others say treat it like a multiplication sign. However, all of it could be solved by defining the problem better without using implicit multiplication.
There is a universal standard.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’d like to see some common core fans chime in….

6/2 = you decide
1+2 = lrrllllzzzlolol
Answer = go ahead and skip college

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight
Aug 3, 2011
There is a universal standard.
Not when it comes to defining the priority between implicit and explicit multiplication.

Implied Multiplication and TI Calculators

Solution 11773: Implied Multiplication Versus Explicit Multiplication on TI Graphing Calculators.

Does implied multiplication and explicit multiplication have the same precedence on TI graphing calculators?

Implied multiplication has a higher priority than explicit multiplication to allow users to enter expressions, in the same manner as they would be written. For example, the TI-80, TI-81, TI-82, and TI-85 evaluate 1/2X as 1/(2*X), while other products may evaluate the same expression as 1/2*X from left to right. Without this feature, it would be necessary to group 2X in parentheses, something that is typically not done when writing the expression on paper.

This order of precedence was changed for the TI-83 family, TI-84 Plus family, TI-89 family, TI-92 Plus, Voyage™ 200 and the TI-Nspire™ Handheld in TI-84 Plus Mode. Implied and explicit multiplication are given the same priority.
This makes it clear that calculator designers have to decide on their own rules, which don’t have to be the same as rules for writing on paper; but educators seem to have convinced them to keep things as much the same as possible for students’ sake.

In conclusion (back to the 1999 answer):

So to answer your question, I think both answers can be considered right - which means, of course, that the question itself is wrong. I prefer the standard way (your first answer) when talking to students, unless their own text gives the "implicit multiplication first" rule; but in practice if I came across that expression, I would probably first check where it came from to see if I could tell what was intended. The main lesson to learn is not which rule to follow, but how to avoid ambiguity in what you write yourself. Don't give other people this kind of trouble.”

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016

I don’t know my goes into’s

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Not when it comes to defining the priority between implicit and explicit multiplication.

Solution 11773: Implied Multiplication Versus Explicit Multiplication on TI Graphing Calculators.

Does implied multiplication and explicit multiplication have the same precedence on TI graphing calculators?

Implied multiplication has a higher priority than explicit multiplication to allow users to enter expressions, in the same manner as they would be written. For example, the TI-80, TI-81, TI-82, and TI-85 evaluate 1/2X as 1/(2*X), while other products may evaluate the same expression as 1/2*X from left to right. Without this feature, it would be necessary to group 2X in parentheses, something that is typically not done when writing the expression on paper.

This order of precedence was changed for the TI-83 family, TI-84 Plus family, TI-89 family, TI-92 Plus, Voyage™ 200 and the TI-Nspire™ Handheld in TI-84 Plus Mode. Implied and explicit multiplication are given the same priority.
This makes it clear that calculator designers have to decide on their own rules, which don’t have to be the same as rules for writing on paper; but educators seem to have convinced them to keep things as much the same as possible for students’ sake.

So to answer your question, I think both answers can be considered right - which means, of course, that the question itself is wrong. I prefer the standard way (your first answer) when talking to students, unless their own text gives the "implicit multiplication first" rule; but in practice if I came across that expression, I would probably first check where it came from to see if I could tell what was intended. The main lesson to learn is not which rule to follow, but how to avoid ambiguity in what you write yourself. Don't give other people this kind of trouble.”
i understand nothing.gif

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Since we are sometimes referred to as a”Cow College”, here is a cow math problem.

You have a pasture with a fence that makes a perfect circle when viewed from above. The enclosed area is exactly 1 acre (or any fixed area you want to use). If you prefer, you can select any diameter you want for the circle.

There is a cow in the pasture. One end of a rope is tied to a fence post on the perimeter of the pasture and the other end of the rope is tied to the cow’s collar.

How long does the rope need to be to allow the cow to graze exactly half the area of the pasture?

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012

On the other hand, Illicit Multiplication happens daily in Alabama.

Reactions: aerodawg.sixpack
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login