What does DJ Jeffries bring to the team?

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
We wanted him so bad out of HS. And wanted him bad as a transfer.

It's been a complete waste bringing him onboard.

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
All I know is that the Memphis people I’m around couldn’t wait to see him leave and now I know why.

Jddrew1142

Sep 9, 2015
I just said in the other thread, he is just so unathletic looking. Every time he gets the ball he is like a bull in a china shop.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
He presses so much. Dribbles into pressure every time he puts it on the floor. Tries to split double teams and turns the ball over. I still think he’s a great player but I think he’s in the shadows of previous performances from our other guys and when he gets the ball just tries to make stuff happen too much and doesn’t let the game come to him. He’s a good defender but offensively he’s been much worse than Garcia and Watts

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think it’s pretty clear as to why he was coveted out of HS, but the bottom line is that he really hasn’t developed in any area in 3 years. He’s the same player now as he was when he was a freshman at Memphis

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
He brings 33% shooting as of late. 4 rebounds and 3-4 turnovers

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, what did he have? One basket in the 2nd half?

Thankfully, Tolu stepped up to score a good bit in the 2nd, but we honestly didn’t get squat out of anyone other than Iverson, Tolu, and Moore. On top of that, we really only got a good half out of the first two

Sep 15, 2009
He presses so much. Dribbles into pressure every time he puts it on the floor. Tries to split double teams and turns the ball over. I still think he’s a great player but I think he’s in the shadows of previous performances from our other guys and when he gets the ball just tries to make stuff happen too much and doesn’t let the game come to him. He’s a good defender but offensively he’s been much worse than Garcia and Watts

So you talk about everything he sucks at and then say you still think he’s a great player. Please tell me what he’s great at. Geez.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
I just said he’s a great defender… it’s no secret he’s been awful offensively so far this season. I bet he’d even say it himself. Am I wrong with that assessment?

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
Yes please!
turning point of the game, we're up 6 or 8 and get a defensive stop, Matthew's gets the board and then throws it right to the Fla player, he takes a dribble and pulls up for an easy 10 foot jumper. It was all she wrote from there.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The 9 minute mark. They scored off it and then the next possession Jeffries finger rolled it into the crowd. Then they scored again.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
My good friend is a huge Memphis fan and we were talking about this earlier. He couldn’t be happier that he’s a dawg

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
advanced metrics say Garcia and Matthews should be playing ahead of him. Talented guy but maybe not the right fit.

Last edited:

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Not one damn time thing that is positive. Cam Mathews and Fountain need to be playing all of his minutes from here on out.

A waste of a scholarship.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
The 9 minute mark. They scored off it and then the next possession Jeffries finger rolled it into the crowd. Then they scored again.

The 12:30 to 12 minute mark was the beginning of it. We had, I think, a 5 point lead at the time. We come down the court, pass it around for 25 seconds, one pass into the lane results in a dribble to Florida in the paint. Next possession we run the weave around the perimeter, ball never touched the paint and Iverson gets a shot clock violation.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
i can't figure out why we can't lock down the opponents best 3 point shooter. Put a man on him --don't switch--don't help out---just guard the 3 point shooter. on offense with brooks and Tolu in the game --one of them should be able to post up down low. teams can't double both of them. we are ****** with post entry passes.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because we cant and never have committed
to good ball screen defense. Its a half hearted combo of switching and the least aggressive hedge imaginable.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
This is the single most frustrating thing about the team to me. It happens over and over and over again. You'd think if you were a player and every time a ball screen was set or a simple hand off is made that a great majority of the time we either give up a wide open three or a layup (dunk) that you might want to stop seeing that happen to you. The hedges are atrocious - not quite enough to bother the ball handler and not enough hustle to get back to the screening guy that rolled or popped - so essentially the hedger is guarding no one.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
There's no way he should be starting and averaging over 25 minutes per game.

Worst FG% on the team, leading us in turnovers. He's in over his head now that we're playing decent opponents.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Was this the sequence that we had Molinar paired with Watts, Matthews, Garcia and Davis on the floor? Four bench players with Molinar? What rotation ever calls for these four to be on the floor together? I like those guys, but that combo was atrocious. Those guys are complementary players. Where is the flow coming from with that group? How easy is it to guard the one guy in Molinar? It led to several empty possessions in a row before Howland called time to get new players in if I remember correctly.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Dangggg.. Isaac Stansbury killing those advanced metricals 💪💪💪

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Wow, that pretty much proves what we've all felt just from watching the games. Particularly looking at the conference games only.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
100%. Iverson needs to come back for that ball. No reason to run in transition there, we were getting what we wanted on offense

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Because we cant and never have committed
to good ball screen defense. Its a half hearted combo of switching and the least aggressive hedge imaginable.

What you're describing along with our poor help defense strategy/effort drives me so crazy I literally can't watch our games. It's been like this year after year with Howland no matter the players and it sucks all the enjoyment out of it for me.

I know that's an extreme statement, but defensive effort is something you can control even when shots aren't falling and it's just no fun to watch your team consistently allow shooters to get open due to poor effort and stupidity.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

It is worse than that. When he dribbles into pressure, he doesn't have enough talent to dribble out of it or to pull a move to get to the basket. He literally is a turn over machine. I would rather see Davis run the point.

DJ needs to slash and put up 3 pt attemps. If he is moving with the basketball, he needs to stop and give it up if the shot isn't wide open on a catch and shoot. Nothing good happens when he dribbles.

Sep 15, 2009
I just said he’s a great defender… it’s no secret he’s been awful offensively so far this season. I bet he’d even say it himself. Am I wrong with that assessment?

If you said he was good defender, I would not have commented. You said he was a great player. Great players are good on both sides of the ball. But we have others who can defend that will stick to their role and not try to be a point guard.

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
If you said he was good defender, I would not have commented. You said he was a great player. Great players are good on both sides of the ball. But we have others who can defend that will stick to their role and not try to be a point guard.

My last sentence literally says he’s a good defender.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Penny says leave him alone he's got freshmens and not a full roster that's why Memphis is losing

Basically if he still had DJ they would be winning is the message here

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login