What good podcast are we currently listening to?

Sep 12, 2013
I desperately need a new one.

In advance, I’ve listened to all the Dan Carlin shows multiple times.

Any good physics/astronomy/history series y’all would recommend? And any good ones in general also.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Joe Rogan. Even the guests I've never heard of can be good.
Smartless is hilarious when they have a good guest
If you like BBQ then How to BBQ Right is a good one
There's plenty of old ones that are bingeworthy if you're into that - Up and Vanished, Atlanta Monster, S Town, Serial season 1
My favorite, as long as it's something I've seen, is How Did This Get Made. I've listened to the episode on Con Air probably five times.

PCHSDawg

Nov 12, 2014
Mike Rowe's "The Way I Heard It", in the beginning it is short Paul Harvey style stories, then it progresses to an hour conversation type format.

Dubs.sixpack

Feb 8, 2012

Any good physics/astronomy/history series y’all would recommend? And any good ones in general also.

"Our Thing" by Sammy Gravano. He was an underboss in the Gambino family that flipped on John Gotti. It's his first hand account of his time there. It's outstanding.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Murdaugh Murders
Hardcore History
The Dog Walk
Twisted History
Conspiracy Theories
Rushmore (it's two guys from the Coast, very childish and stupid)
Czabecast
If you like the "found footage" genre, Found Footage Files
Unnecessary Roughness (its better in the summer leading into the CF season)
Supernatural With Ashley Flowers
In the Red Clay
Fall of a Titan (excellent about Steve McNair)
In the dark (about Curtis Flowers, way too much race baiting, but still good. The host is full blown SJW, but parts of the podcast are well done and informative)

Last edited:

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Have you ever considered Audibles? If you’re into history the selection is pretty much limitless.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Breaking Points w/ Krystal and Saagar (politics)
The GM Shuffle with Michael Lombardi and Adnan Virk (football)
Grilling JR (rasslin')
The Steve Austin Show (rasslin')
The Short Term Show w/ Avery Carl (real estate investing)
BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Event Horizon is a really good physics and astronomy podcast that's also on YouTube. He interviews scientists about a variety of space topics.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
^^This. Once I started listening to Audible, podcasts became obsolete. Tons of free content from The Great Courses and I spend my monthly credits on all kinds of goodies. Currently starting a 28 hour barn burner on James Madison by Tim McGrath.***

Sep 12, 2013
The Lex Fridman Podcast has a lot of physicists & astrophysicists on.

I find Lex difficult to listen to. He will ask a cosmologist who studies early universe conditions weird questions like “how does the cosmological constant make you feel emotionally?”.

Like wtf kind of question is that? He takes the “beauty” aspect of things to far. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
A decent national college football podcast is Cover 3.

It's done by 247 sports guys.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
You guys have me hooked on Hardcore History. Currently on Supernova in the East.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
I use my local library for this. They have Hoopla and you get 4 downloads a month. I'm sure other libraires have a similar option such as Overdrive or Libby. I know the content library can vary from app to app though.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Mike Rowe's "The Way I Heard It", in the beginning it is short Paul Harvey style stories, then it progresses to an hour conversation type format.

I haven't listened since he's changed formats, but those 10 minute or less Paul Harvey stories were great. It was something I could listen to with the kids (most of the time).

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
We have lots of Libby's at my library.**

I use Libby once in a while, but the selection is very limited. 4000 audiobooks available to me on Libby vs 200,000 on Audible.

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Yeah, Libby changed about a year ago and the selection got very limited. Didn't know if it was just our library or the whole app.

Sep 17, 2012
If you like Breaking Points you should listen to The Realignment. If you are stuck in conventional Republican or Democratic orthodoxy, you should listen to both.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

Brothers of the Serpent Podcast

everything from super moons to Mississippian mound culture

they start each podcast with a solar system update and surface of the sun weather report. These are my people

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/brothers-of-the-serpent/id1229324756

docdawg

Mar 22, 2009
"Last Podcast on the Left" = all things scary, spooky, murder-y, horror. Spotify exclusive.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Honestly with Bari Weiss. Available on Spotify. Smart as hell and not ideology driven. Don’t always agree with her but I respect her views.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
Conan O’Brian Needs a Friend - really funny
Stuff You Should Know - two guys pick a random topic and explain it to you
How I Built This - in depth interviews with CEOs of big companies describing how they started their companies
Business Wars - retellings of how famous corporate rivalries got started (Coke v. Pepsi, etc.)
If I’m out of anything else but stuck in the car, Dateline NBC is good for true crime.

Sep 12, 2013
"Our Thing" by Sammy Gravano. He was an underboss in the Gambino family that flipped on John Gotti. It's his first hand account of his time there. It's outstanding.

I listened to the first 5 or 6 episodes of this and it was pretty good. Gonna continue it today.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
Gambling with an Edge. The 2 hosts are annoying (in their 70’s). There is one interview of a guy that ran in some Hollywood circles and high stakes poker games at Toby McGuire’s house.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Don’t listen to many podcasts but one I enjoyed during early summer was “Missing on 9/11”.

Was about a Dr. in NYC that went missing hours before the WTC attacks.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login