What happened to Definitely and Golfer?

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Autocorrect changed Drebin to Definitely. Did they go on vacation together? I haven't seen them post over the last week .

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
With the new variant, Drebin probably doing lots of Facebook research lately**

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I saw Dreb respond in one of the “You guys need to quit griping” posts.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We found out they were the same person suffering from multiple personality disorder and they were banned.**

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I have posted 10 times this week.

Had the week off, and was in Chicago for a few days last week around Christmas, but didn't otherwise travel. The house hosted 3 sleepovers, did some long Zwift rides, went ice skating, carted kids to conditioning classes, etc.
It's been fun.
I will excel at retirement.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Speed and conditioning classes...are they called something different elsewhere?

When my daughter was in 6th grade, she enrolled for classes with a local track club. The club was for "middle" school (11-14 years old) and high school kids, so she was one of the youngest girls there. It really improved her running form and her speed/conditioning.

I never ran track when I was in school, so I really knew nothing about the training they do. My daughter's club practiced indoors (in a "fieldhouse-type" setting) three evenings per week, and I watched every practice. I was really impressed with the drills they did and the way they ran practice. The drills were designed to improve your running form and your explosiveness/strength/quickness. Also, the coaches grouped girls of similar speed/ability and had them race (sprints) each other every practice.

After watching these track club practices, I became convinced that every athlete could improve his/her speed/quickness by training this way (with knowledgeable and experienced coaches, of course).

I say all of this to recommend that if any of you guys have sons/daughters playing sports and you want to improve their speed/quickness, then find a good track club and enroll them.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You did use Facebook as a source once.

Probably ought to own that one and reference on your next cover.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You did use Facebook as a source once.

Probably ought to own that one and reference on your next cover.

No I did not. I used two doctors I work with as a source. And guess what? They were right. But I guess nobody wants to talk about that.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
I have posted 10 times this week.

Had the week off, and was in Chicago for a few days last week around Christmas, but didn't otherwise travel. The house hosted 3 sleepovers, did some long Zwift rides, went ice skating, carted kids to conditioning classes, etc.
It's been fun.
I will excel at retirement.

You also called me a clown, jackass.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
When my daughter was in 6th grade, she enrolled for classes with a local track club. The club was for "middle" school (11-14 years old) and high school kids, so she was one of the youngest girls there. It really improved her running form and her speed/conditioning.

I never ran track when I was in school, so I really knew nothing about the training they do. My daughter's club practiced indoors (in a "fieldhouse-type" setting) three evenings per week, and I watched every practice. I was really impressed with the drills they did and the way they ran practice. The drills were designed to improve your running form and your explosiveness/strength/quickness. Also, the coaches grouped girls of similar speed/ability and had them race (sprints) each other every practice.

After watching these track club practices, I became convinced that every athlete could improve his/her speed/quickness by training this way (with knowledgeable and experienced coaches, of course).

I say all of this to recommend that if any of you guys have sons/daughters playing sports and you want to improve their speed/quickness, then find a good track club and enroll them.
Serious question - can you not do this at home or on your own? I mean why do I need to pay someone to do this?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The same reason you take pitching lessons from a pitching expert, golf lessons from a golf pro, or go to a physical therapist to rehab an injury. Experts are able to spot flaws in form/technique that you cannot self identify or have an untrained parent recognize.

You can get better by practicing anything on your own, but you can also develop bad habits that become hard to break... Case and point, my 10 finger golf grip is here to stay, but I wish I had learned from a pro that taught me an overlapping grip.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The same reason you take pitching lessons from a pitching expert, golf lessons from a golf pro, or go to a physical therapist to rehab an injury. Experts are able to spot flaws in form/technique that you cannot self identify or have an untrained parent recognize.

You can get better by practicing anything on your own, but you can also develop bad habits that become hard to break... Case and point, my 10 finger golf grip is here to stay, but I wish I had learned from a pro that taught me an overlapping grip.
We are talking about strength and conditioning for youth, not sports specific skills (which is still debatable if you have a parent who has any experience at all with the sport(s)).

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You also called me a clown, jackass.

I mean, you boasted about getting drunk and shooting off fireworks a day or two after posting pictures of shooting yourself in the leg.

It's personal, but don't take it personally.
This place 10-15 years ago is night and day different than now.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
I mean, you boasted about getting drunk and shooting off fireworks a day or two after posting pictures of shooting yourself in the leg.

It's personal, but don't take it personally.
This place 10-15 years ago is night and day different than now.

My guy, I was sending a happy New Years message to the board. It wasn’t that damn serious for any personal attack.

I’m sorry if beer and fireworks upset you.

But go 17 yourself.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Serious question - can you not do this at home or on your own? I mean why do I need to pay someone to do this?

For sure you can do it at home or on your own.
I went to the Y today with one of my kids to play racquetball and did some footwork drills too since it's a success when she walks across the room without falling. Balance, footwork, core strengthening, hand eye coordination, etc can definitely be done for free.

But just because it can be done at home doesnt mean it can only be done at home.
Kinda surprised that part of my post gained legs, but since it has I'll add to it- this was a couple of hour long group sessions to take up some time during the break from school. My kids happened to be qualifying ages to do the clinic together and they wanted to since they are never in the same age group. Also, a cousin went with em. They had fun and it wasn't overly expensive, so why not ?

I help coach an AAU volleyball team that one of my kids plays on, but she takes infrequent private lessons with someone else.
We do this because she communicates better with someone not related to her when learning and working thru challenging tasks/learning.
This is an incredibly common dynamic for kids and parents, based on what I have seen and read.

More than one way to skin a cat.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
God you are an argumentative ***. Read the OP's post. His daughter joined a club for middle to high school track. He had no experience himself and was impressed by the program for it's execution. He specifically stated that drills were designed to improve form, quickness, speed, and explosiveness would benefit any athlete.

If you don't think experienced professionals can do a better job than you, well you're self awareness is lacking. Honestly, just read what he wrote. Every time I engage with you, I'm reminded of something I learned in anger management....

View attachment 23473

So I take it all back. You're absolutely right.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
What are conditioning classes?

The boy and the girl both do strength and conditioning classes. Weights, plyometrics, etc. Not as brutal as when the boy did elite level gymnastics and it's making the girl a beast at volleyball.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My guy, I was sending a happy New Years message to the board. It wasn’t that damn serious for any personal attack.

I’m sorry if beer and fireworks upset you.

But go 17 yourself.

Ok, I apologize. Based on what I have seen you post about, I didn't think that comment would be taken to heart and get at you like this. Genuinely didn't mean to mess with you this much.

I figured someone who posts pics of shooting themselves in the leg and offers up crazy girlfriend stories wouldn't react that way.
It's clear that I misread bigly. Again, my apologies.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Good question.

Like JoeLee said, the track coaches are experts that know MUCH more than I do about proper running form and training to increase speed/quickness/explosiveness. http://www.ashburnelitetrack.com/Page.asp?n=113512&org=ashburnelitetrackclub.org

When my daughter trained with the track club, I watched every practice, and I'd never even seen most of the drills they did. Getting that kind of knowledgeable training and feedback was valuable and very useful. It was worth every penny.

Plus, both the coaches and the other athletes provided MUCH motivation to my daughter to try hard and give it her full effort during drills and races at practice. Try doing that at home all alone by yourself. It's practically impossible, in my opinion.

When she was training with the track club, my daughter was in the best shape she's ever been in. I've been trying to talk her into joining the track club again (so she'd be in top shape for her upcoming lacrosse season), but she's now a teenager and she just simply doesn't want to do it.

In my opinion, joining a track club is a great way to improve your kid's running form and speed. If your kid gives a good effort while training with a track club, then I'd almost guarantee that you'll see a noticeable improvement in his/her speed and quickness in whatever sport he/she plays.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login