What happened to Mississippi basketball?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
0 recruits listed on 247's site for 2024. Only 3 in 2023, 2 in 2022, 2 in 2021, 3 in 2020. Not as many 4-stars, and not as many in Jackson, which used to be a hotbed.

Compared to like 2011 when we used to have about 5-7 every single year it seemed (per 247, but seemed that way in the Scout days too).

We also used to have a stud every 5 years too. Those guys have disappeared. Maybe this Hubbard dude, but I'm doubting a 3 star from MRA is the same as Malik Newman or Monta Ellis.

I figure they still have AAU around Jackson?

This is concerning, to me, for the future viability of our program.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The same thing happened as what happened the last 3 times you complained that Jackson basketball is dead and wondered why.

As for the MSU program, yeah local products are really cool to have. But with so many portal players every year, we have access to a significantly wider base of players. Portal players are clearly willing to commit to programs outside their home/local region, and they have proof at the D1 level of being able to play.
As a coach, I would take a guard from the portal that has 2 years left and was a 2* recruit, played in the SoCon or similar, and scored 13ppg on 40% shooting over a top 150 3* guard that is from MS. The risk of each player not panning out is significantly lower for the transfer. Further, the chance of each player transfer away from MSU is significantly lower for the transfer.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The same thing happened as what happened the last 3 times you complained that Jackson basketball is dead and wondered why.

As for the MSU program, yeah local products are really cool to have. But with so many portal players every year, we have access to a significantly wider base of players. Portal players are clearly willing to commit to programs outside their home/local region, and they have proof at the D1 level of being able to play.
As a coach, I would take a guard from the portal that has 2 years left and was a 2* recruit, played in the SoCon or similar, and scored 13ppg on 40% shooting over a top 150 3* guard that is from MS. The risk of each player not panning out is significantly lower for the transfer. Further, the chance of each player transfer away from MSU is significantly lower for the transfer.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
0 recruits listed on 247's site for 2024. Only 3 in 2023, 2 in 2022, 2 in 2021, 3 in 2020. Not as many 4-stars, and not as many in Jackson, which used to be a hotbed.

Compared to like 2011 when we used to have about 5-7 every single year it seemed (per 247, but seemed that way in the Scout days too).

We also used to have a stud every 5 years too. Those guys have disappeared. Maybe this Hubbard dude, but I'm doubting a 3 star from MRA is the same as Malik Newman or Monta Ellis.

Hard to believe with the state of the football and baseball programs that you’re concerned about the one program where we have a great coach who knows what he’s doing.

Hubbard will be a better college player than Newman. Malik was way overrated. Outside of 10 or so games at Kansas, he was nothing special.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hard to believe with the state of the football and baseball programs that you’re concerned about the one program where we have a great coach who knows what he’s doing.

Hubbard will be a better college player than Newman. Malik was way overrated. Outside of 10 or so games at Kansas, he was nothing special.
I'm curious as to if MSU could ever build into a perennial contender in basketball.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007

I like Hubbard a lot as a scorer. I do hope he's got a little more dog in him than he showed in high school. Just kind of nonchalant at times.

It is entirely possible that he was bored with his competition, and that is understandable. I don't think Jans will tolerate nonchalant.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I like Hubbard a lot as a scorer. I do hope he's got a little more dog in him than he showed in high school. Just kind of nonchalant at times.

It is entirely possible that he was bored with his competition, and that is understandable. I don't think Jans will tolerate nonchalant.
The difference in coaching at MRA and at Mississippi State with regards of high school to college should bring out whatever he has. Hubbard can definitely put points on the board, hopefully Jans can "coach" him up defensively and also with the responsibilities of a PG.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Newman didn't live up to the hype he had in HS, but he was definitely better than 'nothing special'.
He averaged over 14ppg for a team that won its conference, was top 10 the whole season, and made it to the final four.

I would take a team full of 'nothing special' every day.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Mississippi basketball has had a major decline in the past 10-15 years. And really youth basketball in general. Not a big emphasis any more from the Jackson public schools. I know several area coaches (high school and Miss Basketball Assoc) around Jackson and they say the numbers are about 1/3 of what they used to be in youth programs. Lanier, Murrah, Provine, Callawayetc all used to be top notch entertainment. Now they’re all but gone

Kids all playing other sports now. And the better ones transfer to private or out of state schools

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Mississippi basketball has had a major decline in the past 10-15 years. And really youth basketball in general. Not a big emphasis any more from the Jackson public schools. I know several area coaches (high school and Miss Basketball Assoc) around Jackson and they say the numbers are about 1/3 of what they used to be in youth programs. Lanier, Murrah, Provine, Callawayetc all used to be top notch entertainment. Now they’re all but gone

Kids all playing other sports now. And the better ones transfer to private or out of state schools
What other sports are being played? I live nowhere near there, so this is curiosity.
Is soccer actually on the rise in Jackson? Baseball?
Basketball has always been hugely popular in cities since the space needed to play is smaller and you can play with just 2 people vs what it takes to play football, soccer, or baseball. Heck, you can just shoot and play alone. Not much of that happening with football or baseball.

Maybe the kids of Jackson took up Quidditch and MSU will soon win have its second team national championship.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
What other sports are being played? I live nowhere near there, so this is curiosity.
Basketball has always been hugely popular in cities since the space needed to play is smaller and you can play with just 2 people vs what it takes to play football, soccer, or baseball. Heck, you can just shoot and play alone. Not much of that happening with football or baseball.

Maybe the kids of Jackson took up Quidditch and MSU will soon win have its second team national championship.
Soccer has exploded. And travel baseball has too among inner city kids. Also a lot doing 7 on 7 and youth football.

The better athletes just have more options than in years past and fewer of them are choosing basketball for some reason

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Thank you for the first legit response in this thread. I think that's the big kicker, just less kids in Jackson to actually play.

Soccer has exploded. And travel baseball has too among inner city kids. Also a lot doing 7 on 7 and youth football.

The better athletes just have more options than in years past and fewer of them are choosing basketball for some reason
I don't see the Jackson kids too much in the soccer and baseball scene, it costs too much. So not sure I completely agree with that.

The kids are just all spread out in the suburbs, it seems, where there is less basketball culture, so yeah, they aren't getting as good at it.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I have a few thoughts on this thread. The kids that were once in the JXN inner city schools are now poached by the private schools. Hubbard from MRA is a baller and will be a great addition to the team. As far as the comment stating him playing at a little private school vs public I’d imagine MRA would have smacked the majority of public schools in the state. I watched CCA (MAIS champs) play Clinton High School state 6A champs year before last and CCA won convincingly.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
If anyone has concern w MSU basketball with the situation happening in both football and baseball, I question one's authenticity. MSU basketball is the one program that we should feel good about currently.
Well that will jinx it. The whole team will tear their ACL while walking across the drill field now. Thanks pal!

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Pickleball leagues everywhere in the public schools now. No one is playing basketball anymore.**

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have a few thoughts on this thread. The kids that were once in the JXN inner city schools are now poached by the private schools. Hubbard from MRA is a baller and will be a great addition to the team. As far as the comment stating him playing at a little private school vs public I’d imagine MRA would have smacked the majority of public schools in the state. I watched CCA (MAIS champs) play Clinton High School state 6A champs year before last and CCA won convincingly.
Are they not playing AAU? Seems like they'd still get noticed.

I don't know much about the AAU scene in Jackson, if there ever was one.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login