What if something else is involved?

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Yes. We've planted former AD's and coaches throughout the SEC in the highest of positions. Time to execute Order 17.
Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think there would be as little gnashing of teeth about Keenum leaving as there is for Cohen.
Disagree big time.

And this is something we don’t want to happen now.

Have you seen what the IHL has done with their presidential hires at the state’s larger universities?

They’ve been weak.

The main exceptions in the past 15 years or so have been Keenum and Foglesong — possibly Bennett too though I’m sure he had his headaches.

Joe Paul was recently announced as Southern Miss’s permanent president - he was serving as interim - I knew him when I was a grad student there. Good guy.

But I never really thought of him as President.

I’m sure Paul will serve a four-year gig there and retire.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Shoot, I thought you might know where a dead hooker was buried or something.

Reactions: patdog

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
You are wrong there. Few people realize just how well connected Keenum is NATIONALLY. Losing him would NOT be good for MSU.
Amen to that. There's a lot more money flowing through the University outside of sports because of him and others. He kept us open for business and everyone else employed during shutdowns. We have some pretty good leaders that keep us prosperous.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Disagree big time.

Have you seen what the IHL has done with their presidential hires at the state’s larger universities?

They’ve been weak.

The main exceptions in the past 15 years or so have been Keenum and Foglesong — possibly Bennett too though I’m sure he had his headaches.

Joe Paul was recently announced as Southern Miss’s permanent president - he was serving as interim - I knew him when I was a grad student there. Good guy.

But also remember Keenum wasn’t going to get the job, Vance Watson was the favorite but had some issues that took him out of the running. Keenum was an afterthought.

Your point still remains, the IHL sucks.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah. Watson was the favorite but his issues meant that Keenum was the next best choice from the IHL’s perspective since they didn’t have another obvious permanent insider candidate.

(I’m not sure of that but I’d guess Ruby told the IHL early on he didn’t want to apply to be permanent president)

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
But also remember Keenum wasn’t going to get the job, Vance Watson was the favorite but had some issues that took him out of the running. Keenum was an afterthought.

Your point still remains, the IHL sucks.
******** on that. Keenum’s group set Vance Watson up. His wife Rhonda was in charge of that. Keenum had interviewed 3 times before and sucked every time.

Vance is a fine gentleman and paid his dues to our University. I agree that Keenum has brought loads of DC money to campus… especially when Cochran was still alive…. But he isn’t as well liked as some think… especially locally. And that goes double for his loud *** mouth wife.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Disagree big time.

They’ve been weak.

Fogelsong was a clown who was universally hated by everybody on campus. Faculty and students alike.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
One thing I've learned in my limited experience with such things, there is always more to the story. Always.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Disagree big time.

They’ve been weak.

Let's be honest: The timing is increidbly poor. Your comments are the springboard for multiple op-ed pieces and review of the history of the foibles and patterns of behavior that have plagued IHL for a very long time.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Yeah. Watson was the favorite but his issues meant that Keenum was the next best choice from the IHL’s perspective since they didn’t have another obvious permanent insider candidate.

(I’m not sure of that but I’d guess Ruby told the IHL early on he didn’t want to apply to be permanent president)
Keenum was the favorite the whole time. Foglesong was a placeholder for Keenum. Meredith (then IHL president) was the problem.

Ruby was doing MSU a favor to keep things moving along until the dust could setlle from the IHL fallout and Keenum was available.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
******** on that. Keenum’s group set Vance Watson up. His wife Rhonda was in charge of that. Keenum had interviewed 3 times before and sucked every time.

Vance is a fine gentleman and paid his dues to our University. I agree that Keenum has brought loads of DC money to campus… especially when Cochran was still alive…. But he isn’t as well liked as some think… especially locally. And that goes double for his loud *** mouth wife.
This is true more than many know and not forgotten by many, also.

Truth is that Cochran's staff was always prepped to pumped money into MSU, as he was the Chair of Appropriations Committee. Never underestimate the power of that position in the Senate. That said, it wouldn't have mattered who was MSU's president during those years (Portera, Lee, Foglesong, Watson, Ruby, or Keenum)

I think it's interesting to note that from the span of 1998 to 2009 (11 years), MSU has had FIVE presidents. Keenum has brought the appearance of stability for 13 years.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
But he was a change agent when one was needed.

No matter his aversion to daffodils.
This is very true. Never underestimate the value of an "axe man" when one is needed for an organization. That person performs the dirty work that pleases everyone...and then becomes the fireable villian when the "cigar boys" want one of their own "good ol' boys"

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Disagree big time.

They’ve been weak.

No doubt, this is not the time we want to be in the hunt for a president. LSU recently got an SJW president, even though fans/alumni/students, like MSU, probably lean conservative.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I heard he spent a pile of money painting buildings in Korea that were scheduled to be torn down the week after.
To be fair this is pretty common in the military. In the late 80s Loring AFB was already scheduled to be closed, it had gone through the motions and signed off on by the POTUS. In 1989 they started installation of a new flightline plane fueling system (I think tens of millions in 1989 dollars). Everyone on base was like WTF, the base is shutting down? The standard answer was, "that money has already been allocated." I could write a book on military waste. Painting buildings that were about to be torn down wouldn't even make it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Rumor is Cohen and Leach had a few disagreements over political correctness and Leach made him walk the plank.
Thanks. I hope that rumor is true and Leach ain't got no close relationship with Cohenz. FK PC. That joke Leach posted was funny and meant no ill will towards anybody.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
To be fair this is pretty common in the military. In the late 80s Loring AFB was already scheduled to be closed, it had gone through the motions and signed off on by the POTUS. In 1989 they started installation of a new flightline plane fueling system (I think tens of millions in 1989 dollars). Everyone on base was like WTF, the base is shutting down? The standard answer was, "that money has already been allocated." I could write a book on military waste. Painting buildings that were about to be torn down wouldn't even make it.
That's because whatever command the money was budgeted to will lose it if they don't spend it and be budgeted less next year too. I used to work as a defense contractor on a military base and one of the places I worked at bought several huge televisions with use it or lose it money. The official purpose was to display stuff during tests, but the unofficial reason was so they could watch every March Madness opening game.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
That's because whatever command the money was budgeted to will lose it if they don't spend it and be budgeted less next year too. I used to work as a defense contractor on a military base and one of the places I worked at bought several huge televisions with use it or lose it money. The official purpose was to display stuff during tests, but the unofficial reason was so they could watch every March Madness opening game.
Oh I know, I did 32 years in uniform and many more as a civilian (I'm still working). I manage an 8 figure budget (that's chicken feed in government spending) that I usually don't get until March or later, you can mitigate a lot of "September Craziness" with proper planning and motoring throughout the year. A big issue with government spending is that it goes through too many levels.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login